LSU for Free

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
timmyd

Re: LSU for Free

Postby timmyd » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:49 pm

I am not an attorney, but rather a law student at The University of Texas. I am from Shreveport, Louisiana and will be working two midlaw jobs there this summer. I chose UT bc it is a far superior school...but LSU still outperforms its ranking considerably. The thing about Louisiana is that, as I mentioned, it is very insular. They wont hire some rando t14 kid with no ties (well excluding HYS I would assume). There is also no biglaw here. In Shreveport, market is like 75-90 and in Nola/Baton Rouge it is 100-110.
You also have to remember, however, that COL is minuscule here. I mean it is dirt cheap. At LSU you will likely be employed...see LST, but more likely than not, in a job paying between 45-60 (which isnt terrible in this state if you have no debt).
If you want to live and work in Louisiana than LSU is the way to go if you are not from this state. As I said, a Louisiana kid who goes to t14/UT/Vandy will be fine because of ties, but an out of stater is looked at suspiciously according to the attorneys I know and people who have gone through the process. So, you should attend LSU if you know you want to work in La.
Lastly, the distinction between civil and common law is overblown. It is mostly a difference in terminology.

TigerDude

Postby TigerDude » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:16 am

I agree with Timmy. Going to LSU is the tie.

Understand that LA is a very small market - the whole state has the population of metro Atlanta. Living there is about the lifestyle - food, drink & football.

Nucky

Postby Nucky » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:12 am

Food, drink and football don't sound too bad! Haha. Thank you for the responses and info though. I'd be happy with LSU if I can pull 90-110 to begin. As mentioned, that'll go much further in LA than 160k would go in the major markets. Not to mention LA's favorable taxes.

I suppose if I'm getting a full ride I am going to be one of the stronger incoming students and should have a decent chance of being on the right end of the curve. But I know this is a dubious train of thought. However, I am a URM and do have unique softs and work experience which may help during OCI. Ill be aiming for private sector work. Thoughts?

Seems like a great deal given my ties, LSU's employment numbers, and COA/COL. But the possibility of coming out making only 50-65k scares me. Though I suppose that without much debt and what seems like a practically guaranteed FTLT JD position of some sort, I'd be in a better place than most in the legal profession these days.

Nucky

Postby Nucky » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:15 am

I do wish they were ranked higher though. Given employment stats alone(all that REALLY matters) schools like American, Michigan State, etc. have absolutely no business being ranked higher, or even close to LSU, in my opinion.

Really illustrates just what a crock the USNWR really are.

EDIT: LSU isn't ranked lower than MSU. Whoops. But you guys know what I meant.

Attax

Postby Attax » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:35 am

BigZuck wrote:Sounds like you're from East Texas, not LA. If so, don't go to LSU. Median at LSU with no LA ties is an awful place to be I would think.

Also, I'm highly suspicious of the notion that a median bro at LSU makes 60K. I would parse that data a bit more if I were you.

If from East Texas (well, Northeast Texas at least), most there are from Baylor/Texas/Houston. I've never met an LSU Law grad in northeast Texas. The proximity to Louisiana doesn't grant mobility into Texas from LSU and anyone wanting to practice in Texas should plan accordingly, as BZ claims.

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:28 pm

Nucky wrote:Food, drink and football don't sound too bad! Haha. Thank you for the responses and info though. I'd be happy with LSU if I can pull 90-110 to begin. As mentioned, that'll go much further in LA than 160k would go in the major markets. Not to mention LA's favorable taxes.

I suppose if I'm getting a full ride I am going to be one of the stronger incoming students and should have a decent chance of being on the right end of the curve. But I know this is a dubious train of thought. However, I am a URM and do have unique softs and work experience which may help during OCI. Ill be aiming for private sector work. Thoughts?

Seems like a great deal given my ties, LSU's employment numbers, and COA/COL. But the possibility of coming out making only 50-65k scares me. Though I suppose that without much debt and what seems like a practically guaranteed FTLT JD position of some sort, I'd be in a better place than most in the legal profession these days.

I really think your notion that if you attend LSU you will make 50-65k worst case scenario is misguided. That is not a floor. That would actually be a pretty good outcome from LSU. 3 years from now, you may be in Bossier City making 40k taking any personal injury or divorce case. Or you may not be a lawyer at all. I went to a school with similar data to LSU on graduates' salaries and can tell you it is misleading.

If you graduate very high (which you have no way to predict) with URM, I'm sure you will have a shot at NOLA & BR firms that pay decent, but not 90k. And your chances are simply very low for this outcome.

I'm sure you are, but I would really keep your options open and also realize that LSU gives you probably about a 5-10% shot at making decent to good money out of law school. I'm not saying don't attend. LSU for free and wanting to work in Louisiana is a great deal, but these 60k "fallback" jobs are mythical. A lot of 0Ls don't realize that.

timmyd

Postby timmyd » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:13 am

Yea, the poster above is correct. I may have had some misleading stats. LSU has a really high employment score but most of these jobs are probably around 40-50k. 60-75 k is not out of the question with some pretty good grades and connections but I would not plan on the outcome. If you are top of the class though you do have a shot at NOLA and BR and as I understand it, those firms usually pay around 90-110k, but again thats if you are top 10%. The firm I'm working for in Shreveport this summer and perhaps after starts off at 75k I believe, which is not great but doable...
I dont think URM means that much in terms of private sector legal hiring. I mean, it might provide a small boost but you will still have to have the grades. No firm is going to hire you only because of your URM status.

shifty_eyed

Postby shifty_eyed » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:28 pm

Attax wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Sounds like you're from East Texas, not LA. If so, don't go to LSU. Median at LSU with no LA ties is an awful place to be I would think.

Also, I'm highly suspicious of the notion that a median bro at LSU makes 60K. I would parse that data a bit more if I were you.

If from East Texas (well, Northeast Texas at least), most there are from Baylor/Texas/Houston. I've never met an LSU Law grad in northeast Texas. The proximity to Louisiana doesn't grant mobility into Texas from LSU and anyone wanting to practice in Texas should plan accordingly, as BZ claims.

There is a huge LSU alum network in the Houston area, although I'm not sure if that translates at all for law grads. I suspect not because Houston has 3 of its own law schools. However, I do think LA people would welcome an East TX person as one of their own.

Attax

Postby Attax » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:54 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:
Attax wrote:

There is a huge LSU alum network in the Houston area, although I'm not sure if that translates at all for law grads. I suspect not because Houston has 3 of its own law schools. However, I do think LA people would welcome an East TX person as one of their own.

Yeah, I'm not too familiar with Houston. I mostly know northeast texas (Tyler/Marshall areas) and DFW from my connections (0L here, FWIW). From what I've gathered, and it may be wrong, it'd be much easier for an East Texas person to go to Louisiana than the other way around especially coming from UT/SMU over LSU trying to go to Texas.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”