LSU for Free

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Nucky

LSU for Free

Postby Nucky » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:57 am

Just to get it out of the way, I'm already signed up for a retake and I am waiting to hear back from many other schools, so this post is likely a bit premature.

Regardless, I wanted to hear TLS' thoughts on LSU at full tuition.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to reply.

rad lulz

Re: LSU for Free

Postby rad lulz » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:04 am

Are you from LSU?

Do you want to work in LA?

If the answer to both is yes, then you're good

Nucky

Postby Nucky » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:00 am

rad lulz wrote:Are you from LSU?

Not from LSU but I have been several times and know the area well. A few ties but nothing legal related.

Wouldn't mind working in Louisiana given the low COL if the pay was right. That's what's holding me back. I'd like to pull in at least $100k at graduation, and I know that'll be tough at LSU. Just seems like an enjoyable place to spend three years. I suppose I could try for Texas upon graduation if I decided to matriculate. My LSAT is well above their 75th so theoretically I should be able to graduate near top of class. Of course, theoretically being the key word.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:16 am

Nucky wrote:Not from LSU but I have been several times and know the area well. A few ties but nothing legal related.

Wouldn't mind working in Louisiana given the low COL if the pay was right. That's what's holding me back. I'd like to pull in at least $100k at graduation, and I know that'll be tough at LSU. Just seems like an enjoyable place to spend three years. I suppose I could try for Texas upon graduation if I decided to matriculate. My LSAT is well above their 75th so theoretically I should be able to graduate near top of class. Of course, theoretically being the key word.

No need to be theoretical about it. The LSAT only accounts for something like 35% of the variance in your 1L grades. So statistically speaking, having a high LSAT is no guarantee you'll be at the top of your class. If your LSAT is well above a school's 75th percentile, odds are you'll probably finish somewhere in the top half. But thinking you're going to finish like in the top 10% based on LSAT alone is foolish.

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:03 am

Nucky wrote:

Not from LSU but I have been several times and know the area well. A few ties but nothing legal related.

:lol: Yeah, not going to happen. If you want to work in Texas, you should go to Texas. "Enjoyable place to spend three years" is not a good reason to attend. You need some ties. If you aren't from Louisiana and comfortable making 40-50k in LA small law, I wouldn't go.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:35 am

Given what you said, LSU is a nonstarter

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:42 am

Yep Lsu is a no go

Nucky

Postby Nucky » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:54 am

deadpanic wrote:
Nucky wrote:

:lol: Yeah, not going to happen. If you want to work in Texas, you should go to Texas. "Enjoyable place to spend three years" is not a good reason to attend. You need some ties. If you aren't from Louisiana and comfortable making 40-50k in LA small law, I wouldn't go.

Well, to be fair their median private sector salary seems to be around 60-70k (which goes far in LA) and their 75th hovers around 80-90k in the same category. So I don't think the outcome would be THAT dire. But point taken.

It isn't only that I think LSU would be fun. I am not that naive. They have great employment numbers, and the support of an absolutely rabid alumni base, and large university. COL is low, and it is a nice area. Plus, without outing myself, it is somewhat close to home, and my 'legal ties' for me.

Anyhow, hopefully I get into some much higher ranked schools, my retake goes well and this is all moot. But WORST case scenario, I am excited about the possibility of attending, especially for free. If I bust my tail I feel like I could carve out a favorable outcome for myself. We'll see...

Thank you for the prompt responses.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:12 am

I have this sense (based only on a few anecdotes) that Louisiana is pretty insular, so a lot depends on the strength of your ties, I would think. Also, how set you are on making 100k out of the gate. If you're firm on that, then LSU is obviously a bad idea.

Keep in mind that, as you said, COL is low basically everywhere except the French Quarter of New Orleans, so a modest salary/no student loan payments would still allow you to live decently.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:39 am

Sounds like you're from East Texas, not LA. If so, don't go to LSU. Median at LSU with no LA ties is an awful place to be I would think.

Also, I'm highly suspicious of the notion that a median bro at LSU makes 60K. I would parse that data a bit more if I were you.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:18 pm

Nucky wrote:Well, to be fair their median private sector salary seems to be around 60-70k (which goes far in LA) and their 75th hovers around 80-90k in the same category. So I don't think the outcome would be THAT dire. But point taken.

I caution you not to rely on these numbers. Those seem unreasonably high to me. Any numbers reported by any law school are probably lies.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:25 pm

All we know is that 48 out of 176 grads in 2011 made at least 60k. And 24 made over 78k.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school= ... class=2011

El Principe

Postby El Principe » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:26 pm

Nucky wrote:Just to get it out of the way, I'm already signed up for a retake and I am waiting to hear back from many other schools, so this post is likely a bit premature.

Regardless, I wanted to hear TLS' thoughts on LSU at full tuition.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to reply.

Last edited by El Principe on Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nucky

Postby Nucky » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:35 pm

I agree with all of the above and thank you for your responses and feedback. Rafi is right about the COL being low. 60k in LA will likely go further than 120k in NYC/DC/etc., but then again, it is LA and not DC/NYC/etc. Also, I would aim for private work, so that is the salary data I was considering, as opposed to the class as a whole and I would expect, though not rely, that the market will improve by the time I would graduate. But I will certainly consider higher ranked schools first, debt or not, as I should have an easier time paying for law school than most given my somewhat unique financial situation. But regardless, free is free and the idea of attending on someone else's dime is a pleasant thought.

I am a URM with a high LSAT, at least by URM standards(mid 160's), but my GPA is abysmal. I do have a rather convincing and longstanding upward trend, but the final number is what it is.

My problem is that I am being held practically everywhere. Very frustrating. Now that the cycle is winding down I am hoping(and cautiously optimistic) that things will begin opening up for me. Especially after I retake in a few days. We'll see... Fingers crossed!

Thanks again, guys!

Nucky

Postby Nucky » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:19 pm

A bit off topic, but since I seem to have succeeded in assembling a thoughtful group of well-experienced TLSers here I was wondering if you could comment on my situation, specifically in regard to all of these 'Holds' and dead silences(for over 2 months, in most cases) from the schools to which I have applied.

Since I am sure most of you have been on TLS and seen more cycles unfold than I have, I was wondering if you would agree that since I have not been dinged yet, that I stand a solid chance of being admitted to at least a few of these schools at some point. I'm talking about ~20 schools, all of which have had my application for several months now.

I really have no idea what to make of it, but I have tried to remain optimistic.

uvandy

Postby uvandy » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:05 pm

Louisiana is the only civil law state in the country, and LSU's curriculum is based on that. Unless you want to live in Louisiana for the rest of your life, avoid it like the plague.

Nucky

Postby Nucky » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:11 pm

uvandy wrote:Louisiana is the only civil law state in the country, and LSU's curriculum is based on that. Unless you want to live in Louisiana for the rest of your life, avoid it like the plague.

I could be wrong, but FWIW my understanding is that they instruct you in both, and you receive an extra diploma because of it. I'd imagine this would be a plus for Int'l Law but as an LSU grad I imagine that'd likely be a tough gig to come by.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:15 pm

m
Last edited by rad lulz on Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:27 pm

Nucky wrote:
uvandy wrote:Louisiana is the only civil law state in the country, and LSU's curriculum is based on that. Unless you want to live in Louisiana for the rest of your life, avoid it like the plague.

I could be wrong, but FWIW my understanding is that they instruct you in both, and you receive an extra diploma because of it. I'd imagine this would be a plus for Int'l Law but as an LSU grad I imagine that'd likely be a tough gig to come by.

The closest thing to "international law" you will be practicing from LSU is whether Jimmy's shrimp boat was in international waters or the Gulf when an oil tanker capsized it. International law is not really a thing.

LSU for free is not a bad choice at all with the right ties and desire to live in Louisiana. I just think you should temper your expectations a bit.

Nucky

Postby Nucky » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:30 pm

I know that guys, which is why I said this was highly unlikely at the end of that statement. Sheesh.
EDIT: I guess the LSAT has trained me never to say something that is highly unlikely is impossible, that's all. :lol:

I'd appreciate a response to my "hold" question above, however, if any of you have had similar experiences or have witnessed similar cases and their final results. Thanks.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:12 pm

Nucky wrote:I know that guys, which is why I said this was highly unlikely at the end of that statement. Sheesh.
EDIT: I guess the LSAT has trained me never to say something that is highly unlikely is impossible, that's all. :lol:

I'd appreciate a response to my "hold" question above, however, if any of you have had similar experiences or have witnessed similar cases and their final results. Thanks.

Splitter cycles are unpredictable. Super splitter cycles are super unpredictable. URM cycles are unpredictable.

(Super?) Splitter URM cycles? I'm not sure many people can be of help with those. All I can really say is if you haven't been dinged then you haven't been dinged and I would hold out some hope. Maybe send some LOCIs when that seems appropriate?

Nucky

Postby Nucky » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:05 pm

BigZuck wrote:
Nucky wrote:I know that guys, which is why I said this was highly unlikely at the end of that statement. Sheesh.

Splitter cycles are unpredictable. Super splitter cycles are super unpredictable. URM cycles are unpredictable.

(Super?) Splitter URM cycles? I'm not sure many people can be of help with those. All I can really say is if you haven't been dinged then you haven't been dinged and I would hold out some hope. Maybe send some LOCIs when that seems appropriate?

Oh yeah, it's been pretty unpredictable alright. I imagine when all is said and done I will have offers and dings like a checker-board.

Should have some new info to submit in about a month so hopefully by April 1 I have a good idea of where I am headed. Going to go on a few visits and hit a ASW or two in the meantime. Might as well...

timmyd

Postby timmyd » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:30 pm

I am from Louisiana so may be able to give some guidance. I am also working at a midlaw firm there this summer and hopefully upon graduation. Attorneys in Louisiana love LSU. They all went to school there (except New Orleans which has a large amount of Loyola and Tulane grads), and hire their own. It is almost necessary to have ties to the region, but coming to law school in the state would be a tie. I would not worry too much about the civil law/common law distinction. At LSU you will learn both and they are not all that different in reality. LSU is by far the best and only law school worth attending in Louisiana. I would also look to t-14/Vandy/Texas for Louisiana because these schools seem to be very respected in the area I am familiar with.
Bottom line: If you want to work in Louisiana doing smaller work (there is no biglaw in this state) than LSU is a great option if you can get it for cheap.

Nucky

Postby Nucky » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:27 pm

timmyd wrote:I am from Louisiana so may be able to give some guidance. I am also working at a midlaw firm there this summer and hopefully upon graduation. Attorneys in Louisiana love LSU. They all went to school there (except New Orleans which has a large amount of Loyola and Tulane grads), and hire their own. It is almost necessary to have ties to the region, but coming to law school in the state would be a tie. I would not worry too much about the civil law/common law distinction. At LSU you will learn both and they are not all that different in reality. LSU is by far the best and only law school worth attending in Louisiana. I would also look to t-14/Vandy/Texas for Louisiana because these schools seem to be very respected in the area I am familiar with.
Bottom line: If you want to work in Louisiana doing smaller work (there is no biglaw in this state) than LSU is a great option if you can get it for cheap.

Appreciate the feedback, it is very helpful to hear from someone in the LA market. If you don't mind me asking are you an attorney in LA? LSU is attractive for a variety if reasons. It seems clear, based on the numbers, that employment won't be an issue but salary is a concern. But they did offer a free education, so though id rather attend a higher ranked school that is hard to turn down.

But as I have mentioned on other threads, I don't see 100k as being enough of a debt concern that I should limit myself either.. That being said, I am going to visit soon and see what I can learn first-hand.

sublime

Postby sublime » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:41 am

Return to “Choosing a Law School”