UChi Rubinstein v. Harvard

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Re: UChi Rubinstein v. Harvard

Postby sah » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:23 pm

Agreed. I also think the Ruby is a uniquely great deal b/c of the living expenses element of it. People underestimate that, but the 15k/year in living expenses basically means your schooling is free-free. No debt at all.

I have a similar choice - was fortunate enough to get the Vandy at NYU (full tuition) - but I am still responsible for 3 years of living expenses in NYC, which is no small feat, as we know.

Postby kryoung » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:45 pm

If you are successful in getting the PI work you are looking for won't you essentially be paying Harvard 0 in the long run because of their loan income assistance?

Postby Wearthewildthingsr » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:56 pm

OP I was like you thinking purely from the perspective of COA and the prestige/opportunity at a school. These are relevant but not complete.

Something I, and many others, have overlooked is the risk that you could be in the lower half of your class. While this is tied to job prospects, it's something I think is not emphasized enough. People go into law school with the assumption they will be in the upper half. Well half of them will be wrong.

I recommend you take UChicago as it's a great deal and great risk management. You go to Harvard, you're in debt and you're worrying about how you'll do in classes and how you'll be swimming in boats of debt if you don't get in the upper half. If you're in Chicago, relax. You got no debt, sure come exam time you want to do your best, but if you don't you're still in a beautiful place.

Soooooo take UChicago. You're mental health will thank me when you take your 1L year.

Postby AllTheLawz » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:59 pm

Chicago and this isn't close.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”