Made mistakes this cycle, how should I proceed?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
patogordo

Re: Made mistakes this cycle, how should I proceed?

Postby patogordo » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:10 pm

autocorrect bro

scootsy

Postby scootsy » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:15 pm

nothingtosee wrote:This story doesn't add up.

Not yet graduated, but two years at a hedge fund?

His mentioning he can still raise his gpa doesn't mesh with his WE.

I was fortunate to get the opportunity, lucky timing benefitting from the "who ya know not what ya know" situation. I was an originally an intern but performed well enough that they've kept me around since then. Hopefully not my future though.

I ruled out T14 a while ago. My numbers just aren't good enough and a I doubt even an excellent LSAT retake will change that. I would just love to get in one of the good regional schools in the Mountain West, either UofA or UofU. This is where I want to live. I just want to maybe get some $$$ to make it affordable.

I am just a much worse candidate than I previously realized, so I was looking for info on how to handle anything that happens this cycle and if there was anything I could do to help myself next go around. And the consensus sounds like I need to get my LSAT to around 170.

I'll probably retake it in October, so with 8 months to study I feel pretty confident. And if I can't do that, I won't have that redeeming of qualities on my application and will probably have to look a different direction for the future. Wish me luck everyone, thanks for your input, encouragement, and doses of reality.

scootsy

Postby scootsy » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:27 pm

I should probably start a new thread for this, but either way, I'm really interested in y'alls feedback.

Since I am trying to attend a good regional school, I know that I have to perform extremely well to open good career opportunities that are generally reserved for grads from more prestigious schools. Although I am certain I want to pursue a legal career, considering my past academic failures, I am apprehensive knowing performing this well is statistically unlikely (ESPECIALLY considering my past academic performance). To get top jobs in Utah or Arizona, where I would like to end up, you have to be top 15%/law review, etc. at these regional schools.

For me to do this, I need some sort of advantage, since I will have so much working against me. There is a class here that is being taught in the summer by one of the professors at a local university. In this class, they are essentially teaching you how to get ahead of your peers in the first semester, since firms start recruiting based off of that first set of class rankings for their summer interns.

Essentially the idea is that students spend 90% of their time studying for daily classes and writing their briefs or whatever report it is you prepare, and then spend 10% of their time studying for the final. Their idea is that, first year especially, you are only graded on your final and therefore your studying should be 90% for the final and only 10% for your daily classes. I don't think that is actually feasible spending only 10% of your time studying for daily classes and to remain in the good graces of your professors, but considering the person running this class is a professor their self, I am wondering how much credence to put into this.

In the class you do practice writing your daily briefs, learning how to do it most efficiently, and what to be taking away to actually prepare for the final. There is extensive writing, and the teacher gives a final at the end of the program so that you have essentially taken an entire class before beginning your legal education.

Will this work? I imagine it is easier to stay top 15% if you get there first semester than it is to work your way in after. Would this help my future prospects attending a less prestigious regional school?

FKASunny

Postby FKASunny » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:35 pm

It depends on your style of learning, but I've found briefing to be completely useless and stopped doing it after the first week. Doing well on exams is not something objective you can really learn ahead of time because you have to do well on YOUR professor's exam.

But all this aside, don't distract yourself. Study for the LSAT and get a 170+ before you start contemplating studying for law school.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:42 pm

Don't attend Utah or Arizona unless you'd be comfortable with the jobs available to people who graduate in the middle of the class.

As for this law preview class, it sounds like you've already gotten everything you need. Study hard, focus on the final.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”