DELETED

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
mermaidprincess92

DELETED

Postby mermaidprincess92 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:41 pm

Last edited by mermaidprincess92 on Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

timbs4339

Re: UC Hastings vs Pepperdine

Postby timbs4339 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:52 pm

In order to receive the best feedback in this forum, please provide as much of the following information in your original post as possible:

-The schools you are considering
-The total Cost of Attendance (COA) of each. COA = cost of tuition + fees + books + cost of living (COL) + accumulated interest - scholarships. Here is a helpful calculator.
-How you will be financing your COA, i.e. loans, family, or savings
-Where you are from and where you want to work, and other places where you have significant ties (if any)
-Your general career goals
-Your LSAT/GPA numbers
-How many times you have taken the LSAT

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:16 pm

Based on the info you have given us so far, this is a "Neither, retake" situation. Am interested to see what your situation looks like after you fill in the info Timbs is asking for but by and large, Berkeley, Stanford, UCLA, and USC are really the only schools in CA worth attending. Job placement out of all the other schools is really bad and generally they are too expensive.

See: http://www.lawschooltransparency.com for more info.

mermaidprincess92

Postby mermaidprincess92 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:26 pm

Last edited by mermaidprincess92 on Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:33 pm

If you don't want Biglaw, that's fine, but you still have to worry about being employed, period. You need to retake to get into better schools, as being employed as a lawyer at all will be a risky challenge from where you want to go, even if you're going for free. The CA market is heavily oversaturated with people that want to be lawyers. You need to figure out ways right away to be standing out from the pack--starting with the prestige of the school you attend.

You're only a few LSAT points away from some significantly better options. If you want to risk ruining the rest of your life because you don't feel like waiting a year and taking a 4-hour test one more time, be my guest. If you think taking the LSAT one more time is annoying, stressful, and time-consuming, I doubt you have what it takes to succeed in the brutal post-grad job search in the field of law.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:37 pm

What's your GPA?

If it's decent, you're literally only a few points away from UCLA/USC with money. That means answering a few more questions correctly. You're so close. Don't tank it because you're impatient.

mermaidprincess92

Postby mermaidprincess92 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:48 pm

/
Last edited by mermaidprincess92 on Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:54 pm

mermaidprincess92 wrote:I've already taken the LSAT twice, both times I underscored what I was expecting despite walking out of the test feeling great. I don't know what happens that makes me do so much worse when I take the actual tests but for me it's very risky to wait a whole year and then get a similar score again.

That's even more reason to wait a year and take it again. I took the LSAT all three times, and, exactly like you, I did much worse during the actual test than I did during my practice tests. I just had a lot of anxiety about the test, and that hurt my concentration. The third time was a charm, though, and I improved my score 10 points, got into pretty much my top school with a scholarship, etc. And my job search was still very trying and difficult.

You need to take a year off, relax, and take it one more time without all the pressure. Otherwise, you're selling yourself short either by "lighting $100,000 on fire," or by forcing yourself into a school that won't get you any lawyer job at all. Even unpaid post-grad fellowships are extremely competitive in this job market. You'll have to hustle just to find a decent place to volunteer. Especially if you graduate from Hastings or Pepperdine.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:06 pm

The fact that you still haven't told us your cost of attendance is not a good sign. You haven't even done the calculations to figure out how much debt you will be in after tuition increases, interest accumulating on your loans, etc. The fact that we have to ask you what this number is and you haven't even done the easy math isn't good.

Not wanting big law is fine. But what kind of lawyer job do you think you want? And what do young lawyers make in that field of law? How will you pay off your loans? And how easy will it be to get that job?

Did you look at that site that I linked to? What do you think of it?

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:10 pm

BigZuck wrote:The fact that you still haven't told us your cost of attendance is not a good sign. You haven't even done the calculations to figure out how much debt you will be in after tuition increases, interest accumulating on your loans, etc. The fact that we have to ask you what this number is and you haven't even done the easy math isn't good.

This. Actually do out the calculations. Learn about accrued interest, origination fees, and factor in tuition increases, summer and bar expenses.

And since your parents are giving you only a portion, are they just misers or are they actually able to help fund your education without seeing a commensurate drop in their quality of life? If it's going to mean they stretch their mortgage payments, I'd think twice about locking them in for a 20K commitment at those schools when you could just retake and have better options.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:13 pm

What exactly do you want to do?

californiauser

Postby californiauser » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:39 pm

Hastings is dollar for dollar one of the worst law school investments in America

retake for better options

Paul Campos

Postby Paul Campos » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:21 pm

You may find this documenthttp://web.archive.org/web/20120523073220/http://www.uchastings.edu/budget/docs/SPI8%20Presentation%204-20-2012.pdf interesting.

It projects UC-Hastings' resident tuition and fees for 2016-17 (what would be in your third year) as being approximately $56,000.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”