GW v. Fordham w/$$

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which one??

GW
24%
Fordham w/ $$?
76%

Total votes: 25

bpc2110

GW v. Fordham w/$$

Postby bpc2110 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:03 pm

Originally from NY area, but love DC

burtmacklin

Re: GW v. Fordham w/$$

Postby burtmacklin » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:12 pm

I would think that $$ at one would mean $$ at the other, negotiate if you want GW. Tell them because you're from NY and have a nice offer from Fordham, you need more financial help to justify attending there (even if you aren't trying to end up in NY, they don't know that)

phillywc

Postby phillywc » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:16 am

Depends on what $$ is. I'd say neither is likely worthy. Try and stretch into a T14 at sticker or retake.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:37 pm

Read the sticky at the top of the forum and do what it says.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:28 pm

Based on information given: Neither. Retake.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:37 pm

Please don't ruin your life by choosing any of the above options.

You need to try and get more money at better schools. Take the LSAT all three times.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:39 pm

GW at sticker would be :shock: levels of dumb.

BrianFratusz

Postby BrianFratusz » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:46 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:GW at sticker would be :shock: levels of dumb.

You can try to negotiate with GW. I was able to after winning a thesis award. I sent someone an e-mail about how I really preferred GW but couldn't afford it and asked for money, and they delivered.

I also want to plug GW here. I've seen the employment statistics and all, and people make fun of the prop-up jobs the law school does. However, employment options here are actually solid, especially biglaw. If you're willing to finish with above a 3.4, you can get a biglaw job. If you finish with above a 3.6, I'd be shocked if you didn't get a biglaw job. I know people who aren't even top 35% working for V20 firms, and people who aren't top 15% working at V10 firms.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:59 pm

BrianFratusz wrote:

You can try to negotiate with GW. I was able to after winning a thesis award. I sent someone an e-mail about how I really preferred GW but couldn't afford it and asked for money, and they delivered.

I also want to plug GW here. I've seen the employment statistics and all, and people make fun of the prop-up jobs the law school does. However, employment options here are actually solid, especially biglaw. If you're willing to finish with above a 3.4, you can get a biglaw job. If you finish with above a 3.6, I'd be shocked if you didn't get a biglaw job. I know people who aren't even top 35% working for V20 firms, and people who aren't top 15% working at V10 firms.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=gw

The "large firm" score for GW is 27%, and LST's definition of "large firm" is pretty generous, as it goes all the way down to 100 attorneys. Most people's definition of "Biglaw" is the NLJ 250, which ends at 160 attorneys...and even at the tail end of the NLJ 250, it's a stretch to call some of those firms "Biglaw."

It's safe to say probably only slightly more than 20% of the GW class obtained Biglaw jobs for c/o 2012, and another 2 percent or so obtained Article III clerkships.

And once to subtract the 20% or so that are in school-funded "jobs," you have an employment score of 60% or so, which is worse than its peers.

So you can plug all you want. Just realize that you're being kind of misleading.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:01 pm

BrianFratusz wrote:

If you're "willing" to get big law you'll get big law?

Come on bro. People's lives are at stake here. You need to take this stuff seriously and not willfully lead them astray.

bpc2110

Postby bpc2110 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:33 pm

what kind of $$ do you think it would be worth it for GW?

Edit OP: got 75k Fordham, 30K GW

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:04 pm

BigZuck wrote:
BrianFratusz wrote:

If you're "willing" to get big law you'll get big law?

Come on bro. People's lives are at stake here. You need to take this stuff seriously and not willfully lead them astray.

It's also just silly reasoning. There's not an "automatic top 27% cutoff" for biglaw at GW just like there isn't an "automatic top 85% cutoff" at HYS. People in the top 5% might not get biglaw because they don't apply or bomb the interviews (you have to be really awkward to bomb a biglaw interview, but it happens). People ranking just above median might get biglaw with exceptional work experience, an IP degree, or a URM boost.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”