Ohio State vs Case Western Reserve

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
theramblinman
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:26 pm

Re: Ohio State vs Case Western Reserve

Postby theramblinman » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:41 pm

norkanite wrote:Yeah retake. But If it's really between these two and you're absolutely sure about your plan, go tOSU. From what I've seen legal employers around Cleveland will always take buckeyes with ties over Case/CSU/Akron/ONU with ties, all else equal.

I agree you should be cautious, and I'd encourage you to work for a solo in the Appalachian part of the state before diving in. I did for a couple years in college and it was hell.


I disagree with OSU students being better off in Cleveland. I think that Case and CSU have a pretty strong hold on the market.

I also wanted to add some insight on Case. In terms of your scholarship I would be fairly certain you could negotiate that up to a full ride (or at least very close). In terms of employment, being at Case is a little rough, however there are students getting jobs. Jones Day, Squire Sanders, Baker and most of the other big firms in Cleveland have hired Case 2Ls for this summer. There are other students that have lined up jobs at big time firms outside the city as well. That being said it is very selective. Maybe 20-25 kids in the 2L have bigger firm jobs at the moment. The odds obviously are not great, but it is possible to succeed at Case.

User avatar
JCougar
Posts: 3175
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:47 pm

Re: Ohio State vs Case Western Reserve

Postby JCougar » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:50 pm

theramblinman wrote:
norkanite wrote:Yeah retake. But If it's really between these two and you're absolutely sure about your plan, go tOSU. From what I've seen legal employers around Cleveland will always take buckeyes with ties over Case/CSU/Akron/ONU with ties, all else equal.

I agree you should be cautious, and I'd encourage you to work for a solo in the Appalachian part of the state before diving in. I did for a couple years in college and it was hell.


I disagree with OSU students being better off in Cleveland. I think that Case and CSU have a pretty strong hold on the market.

I also wanted to add some insight on Case. In terms of your scholarship I would be fairly certain you could negotiate that up to a full ride (or at least very close). In terms of employment, being at Case is a little rough, however there are students getting jobs. Jones Day, Squire Sanders, Baker and most of the other big firms in Cleveland have hired Case 2Ls for this summer. There are other students that have lined up jobs at big time firms outside the city as well. That being said it is very selective. Maybe 20-25 kids in the 2L have bigger firm jobs at the moment. The odds obviously are not great, but it is possible to succeed at Case.


http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=casewestern

Only 44% of the Case Western Class of 2012 got ANY kind of lawyer job, which includes full-time unpaid fellowships and a few school-funded jobs. Only 8 students total got jobs at firms of 250 attorneys or greater.

If 20-25 kids have big firm jobs as 2Ls right now, that's a vast improvement, which makes me skeptical, because Biglaw hiring has been flat since 2012.

theramblinman
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:26 pm

Re: Ohio State vs Case Western Reserve

Postby theramblinman » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:46 pm

JCougar wrote:
theramblinman wrote:
norkanite wrote:Yeah retake. But If it's really between these two and you're absolutely sure about your plan, go tOSU. From what I've seen legal employers around Cleveland will always take buckeyes with ties over Case/CSU/Akron/ONU with ties, all else equal.

I agree you should be cautious, and I'd encourage you to work for a solo in the Appalachian part of the state before diving in. I did for a couple years in college and it was hell.


I disagree with OSU students being better off in Cleveland. I think that Case and CSU have a pretty strong hold on the market.

I also wanted to add some insight on Case. In terms of your scholarship I would be fairly certain you could negotiate that up to a full ride (or at least very close). In terms of employment, being at Case is a little rough, however there are students getting jobs. Jones Day, Squire Sanders, Baker and most of the other big firms in Cleveland have hired Case 2Ls for this summer. There are other students that have lined up jobs at big time firms outside the city as well. That being said it is very selective. Maybe 20-25 kids in the 2L have bigger firm jobs at the moment. The odds obviously are not great, but it is possible to succeed at Case.


http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=casewestern

Only 44% of the Case Western Class of 2012 got ANY kind of lawyer job, which includes full-time unpaid fellowships and a few school-funded jobs. Only 8 students total got jobs at firms of 250 attorneys or greater.

If 20-25 kids have big firm jobs as 2Ls right now, that's a vast improvement, which makes me skeptical, because Biglaw hiring has been flat since 2012.


Perhaps my use of the term "big law" is a little off. Some of the big firms I am referring to are not over 250 attorneys. I think approximately 10 students have jobs at 250+ firms. The other group has employment at larger law firms based in Cleveland (firms that are around 100-200 attorneys). May not be what some consider big law, but for Cleveland it is.

JJ123
Posts: 180
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:40 am

Re: Ohio State vs Case Western Reserve

Postby JJ123 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:04 pm

I'm in Ohio. Married to an OSU grad. If you want to work in Ohio, neither one of these schools is awful. However, they're not going to place well outside of Ohio, and it's a bit of a crapshoot.

I strongly recommend a retake. I wouldn't consider Case without a full ride, and I wouldn't consider OSU without a stronger scholarship.

Hell, if you get into the upper 160s you're going to have the option of a T14 and probably a full ride at OSU, ND, Indiana, and other good Midwest schools.

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: Ohio State vs Case Western Reserve

Postby northwood » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:48 pm

Of these two options, id go with OSU. However, given your career goals, you want to keep your debt as low as possible. While you may not think one or two points is worth waiting a year, please remember that that while each additional point is roughly 2 more correct questions on the scored sections, the difference in scholarship awards may vary greatly. Thus, if you waited a year, scored 3 points better ( got about 6-7 more questions correct), the likelihood of you lowering the costs of your education increases. Furthermore, by waiting a year and working ( assuming you have a job), you can further reduce your current debt, and increase your savings`~ which will put you in a better financial footing.

User avatar
Ohiobumpkin
Posts: 465
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:50 am

Re: Ohio State vs Case Western Reserve

Postby Ohiobumpkin » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:44 pm

Since you're looking at working in southern/S.E. Ohio after graduation, I would say OSU all the way. OSU gives you the best flexibility to work throughout the whole state. The only thing that would make me consider Case between the two is a full ride. If you're trying to go biglaw though (which it sounds like you're not), I would retake and adopt a t-14 or bust mindset. Best of luck with your cycle. I am a current OSU 2L and you can PM me with any questions you might have about OSU.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests