Columbia vs NYU

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Winston1984

Re: Columbia vs NYU

Postby Winston1984 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:55 am

phillywc wrote:God this is an obnoxious topic. I strongly suspect flame.

+1. How do you spend $1 million on two students' high school/college education? Why would you?

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:24 am

Winston1984 wrote:

+1. How do you spend $1 million on two students' high school/college education? Why would you?

Easily, in fact. 2 kids Phillips Exeter or equivalent 4 yrs + 2 kids at private colleges 4-4.5 years = $250K * 2 + $250K * 2 = $1Mil.

Kimikho

Postby Kimikho » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:26 am

tag

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:27 am

jbagelboy wrote:
Winston1984 wrote:

Easily, in fact. 2 kids Phillips Exeter or equivalent 4 yrs + 2 kids at private colleges 4-4.5 years = $250K * 2 + $250K * 2 = $1Mil.

You didn't address the second part of the sentence lol.

jayjo0909

Postby jayjo0909 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:28 am

matthewsean85 wrote:
lawschool2014hopeful wrote:If you are so worried with your strong numbers why not just pay for a reputable consulting company?

All the consulting they realistically need is TLS. This community can help way more than some $$$ consulting company. You can get great advice from fellow applicants, law students, practicing attorneys, and even former admissions personnel. It's severely unlikely that an admissions consultant would serve any valuable service.

That being said, if OP decides to take this route, please use spivey, it's the best out there.

When I applied to high school/college, I just didn't use them so I never thought about it. I guess I will consider it this time.

I agree that TLS is the best resource, unless you know someone in legal field who graduated recently. I know one person but he is older generation.

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:32 am

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:33 am

lawschool22 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
Winston1984 wrote:

You didn't address the second part of the sentence lol.

*Shrug* don't see why any of that is relevant to this topic. I see no point in criticizing OP's parents or in condemning him for his situation.

jayjo0909

Postby jayjo0909 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:38 am

Crowing wrote:*Shrug* don't see why any of that is relevant to this topic. I see no point in criticizing OP's parents or in condemning him for his situation.

Thank you very much. I just want to know CLS vs NYU. That's really all I needed to find out without money being issue.

So, I guess if you can't stop thinking about scholarship factor, let me re-phrase the question. If you get full ride from both CLS/NYU, which one will you choose?

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:39 am

Crowing wrote:
*Shrug* don't see why any of that is relevant to this topic. I see no point in criticizing OP's parents or in condemning him for his situation.

I'm not condemning or criticizing, just genuinely curious. I'm so far from this kind of money/privilege that it is foreign to me, and I'm interested in it.

Basically, though, we are just trying to prevent OP from throwing tens of thousands down the drain. That money could be put to some other purpose than NYU/CLS tuition. Why doesn't OP take the money he saves his parents and donate it to a worthwhile charity or something? Think of what $75k could do in a part of the world that needs it?

I'm fine with people spending money on things, but just throwing it away seems silly.

jingosaur

Postby jingosaur » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:44 am

Based on what you've posted in this thread coupled with stereotypes of both schools, Columbia seems like a better fit for you. In reality, there is very little difference and you should just spend a day visiting each school and deciding where you want to go. And you don't have to ED with your numbers.

iamgeorgebush

Postby iamgeorgebush » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:47 am

jayjo0909 wrote:
Crowing wrote:*Shrug* don't see why any of that is relevant to this topic. I see no point in criticizing OP's parents or in condemning him for his situation.

Thank you very much. I just want to know CLS vs NYU. That's really all I needed to find out without money being issue.

So, I guess if you can't stop thinking about scholarship factor, let me re-phrase the question. If you get full ride from both CLS/NYU, which one will you choose?

All else being equal, for your goals of BigLaw then in-house? CLS over NYU. But either would be great.

This may be of some assistance:

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=columbia
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=nyu

Postby 03152016 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:06 am

jayjo0909 wrote:If you get full ride from both CLS/NYU, which one will you choose?

If, hypothetically, I got a full ride from both, I'd go with NYU because I prefer the Village to Morningside Heights. But that's just personal preference, having worked in both neighborhoods.

Since the original post makes it seem like location won't be a big determining factor for you, I'll second those saying CLS seems like a better fit based on your goals (though they really are peer schools).

Postby 03152016 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:08 am

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:57 am

lawschool22 wrote:
Crowing wrote:

I'm not condemning or criticizing, just genuinely curious. I'm so far from this kind of money/privilege that it is foreign to me, and I'm interested in it.

Basically, though, we are just trying to prevent OP from throwing tens of thousands down the drain. That money could be put to some other purpose than NYU/CLS tuition. Why doesn't OP take the money he saves his parents and donate it to a worthwhile charity or something? Think of what $75k could do in a part of the world that needs it?

I'm fine with people spending money on things, but just throwing it away seems silly.

I mean that's fair if you have those kinda of views; I do too--my parents are well off but I still have tried very hard throughout my education to save them as much money as possible.

But my point is that kind of policy/philosophy stuff doesn't contribute anything here. Our objective is to offer OP the best advice we can to fulfill his goals. If his goals are unrealistic, then we might question them. But it's not relevant for us to tell OP what we think is right or wrong. I mean by all means you can bring it up if you want, but it's too remote to really be relevant to the topic.

lawschool2014hopeful

Postby lawschool2014hopeful » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:44 am

This might be sheer ignorance, but wouldnt a degree with Columbia in general give one significantly more mobility if they want to move elsewhere?

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:03 am

Crowing wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:
Crowing wrote:

I mean that's fair if you have those kinda of views; I do too--my parents are well off but I still have tried very hard throughout my education to save them as much money as possible.

But my point is that kind of policy/philosophy stuff doesn't contribute anything here. Our objective is to offer OP the best advice we can to fulfill his goals. If his goals are unrealistic, then we might question them. But it's not relevant for us to tell OP what we think is right or wrong. I mean by all means you can bring it up if you want, but it's too remote to really be relevant to the topic.

Why is saying "your attitude is superbly wasteful of money that could be put to much more socially valuable causes" not our place?

smaug_

Postby smaug_ » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:05 am

lawschool2014hopeful wrote:This might be sheer ignorance, but wouldnt a degree with Columbia in general give one significantly more mobility if they want to move elsewhere?

Maybe but I doubt it. We're pretty much peer schools. CLS has slightly better biglaw placement. NYU has a (on the whole) better professors and the benefits that come with that. (stronger connections to PI and government).

There are things that make me happy to go to CLS, but they're odd and specific. I think you'd get a feel for which is better for you after visiting.

lawschool2014hopeful

Postby lawschool2014hopeful » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:11 am

midwest17 wrote:
Crowing wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:
Crowing wrote:

Why is saying "your attitude is superbly wasteful of money that could be put to much more socially valuable causes" not our place?

Why is paying for law school a waste of money. You do realize, if OP receives scholarships, it just means that someone else that might actually NEED it would not get it or receive less.

This is not a debate about social justice causes, but rather a simple question CLS or NYU.

If I was OP I would do the following

1) Pay for a consultant
2) ED Columbia
3) Apply regular to rest of T-6 as leverage

smaug_

Postby smaug_ » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:15 am

lawschool2014hopeful wrote:1) Pay for a consultant
2) ED Columbia

:lol: :lol:

bombaysippin

Postby bombaysippin » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:48 am

Why not donate a new addition and have it named after your parents. Then the school will definitely accept you.

muskies970

Postby muskies970 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:57 am

excited for the inevitable rich bashing /thread

smaug_

Postby smaug_ » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:05 pm

muskies970 wrote:excited for the inevitable rich bashing /thread

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE WEALTHY?

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:09 pm

smaug wrote:
lawschool2014hopeful wrote:1) Pay for a consultant
2) ED Columbia

:lol: :lol:

:lol:

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:12 pm

lawschool2014hopeful wrote:
If I was OP I would do the following

1) Pay for a consultant
2) ED Columbia

The rest of the T6 won't act as leverage if he gets into Columbia via ED.

phillywc

Postby phillywc » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:23 pm

smaug wrote:
muskies970 wrote:excited for the inevitable rich bashing /thread

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE WEALTHY?

YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TOUGH IT IS TO BE BASHED BY THE UNWASHE MASSES

Return to “Choosing a Law School”