Immigration Lawyer

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Logicgames14
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:14 pm

Immigration Lawyer

Postby Logicgames14 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:09 am

I live in WI. Which school has the best immigration law program?

nebula666
Posts: 780
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:19 pm

Re: Immigration Lawyer

Postby nebula666 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:28 am

UW is the only school in Wisconsin worth going to under any circumstances. I can't imagine you will get a job in immigration from there. Who the hell practices immigration law in Wisconsin? Those pesky Canadians sneaking in?

User avatar
calle_25
Posts: 133
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:10 pm

Re: Immigration Lawyer

Postby calle_25 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:13 am

Logicgames14 wrote:I live in WI. Which school has the best immigration law program?

While you'll be hard-pressed to find specific "immigration programs," Minnesota is really strong in that area. It has 3 different clinics in immigration/asylum law, which is about 2 more clinics than comparable schools. Research the schools you are interested in, and ensure they have immigration clinics. A lot of them don't. If you want to practice immigration law, don't go to a school that offers no clinics in that area.

nebula666 wrote:I can't imagine you will get a job in immigration from there. Who the hell practices immigration law in Wisconsin? Those pesky Canadians sneaking in?

A. Immigration law is not only for those "sneaking in" but I'll just leave that one alone.
B. You must not be familiar with the WI/MN/Iowa part of the Midwest. Migrant workers, refugees, large corporations bringing in specialized foreign scientists, The Mayo Clinic hiring hundreds of foreign doctors, etc.

nebula666
Posts: 780
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:19 pm

Re: Immigration Lawyer

Postby nebula666 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:06 pm

calle_25 wrote:
Logicgames14 wrote:I live in WI. Which school has the best immigration law program?

While you'll be hard-pressed to find specific "immigration programs," Minnesota is really strong in that area. It has 3 different clinics in immigration/asylum law, which is about 2 more clinics than comparable schools. Research the schools you are interested in, and ensure they have immigration clinics. A lot of them don't. If you want to practice immigration law, don't go to a school that offers no clinics in that area.

nebula666 wrote:I can't imagine you will get a job in immigration from there. Who the hell practices immigration law in Wisconsin? Those pesky Canadians sneaking in?

A. Immigration law is not only for those "sneaking in" but I'll just leave that one alone.
B. You must not be familiar with the WI/MN/Iowa part of the Midwest. Migrant workers, refugees, large corporations bringing in specialized foreign scientists, The Mayo Clinic hiring hundreds of foreign doctors, etc.


Just a joke relax. I still wouldn't go to Wisconsin were I dead set on immigration law. OP should at least be open to other areas of practice given given the employment prospects from any school in Wisconsin.

Logicgames14
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:14 pm

Re: Immigration Lawyer

Postby Logicgames14 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:49 pm

I was also planning on going to Chicago or New York maybe even LA

User avatar
worldtraveler
Posts: 7667
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:47 am

Re: Immigration Lawyer

Postby worldtraveler » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:14 pm

Logicgames14 wrote:I was also planning on going to Chicago or New York maybe even LA


To do what? You either need to get into a top school or pick a market if you can't.

nebula666
Posts: 780
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:19 pm

Re: Immigration Lawyer

Postby nebula666 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:40 am

Logicgames14 wrote:I was also planning on going to Chicago or New York maybe even LA


Then I hope you are going to Chicago, Northwestern, Columbia, NYU, Stanford, Berkeley, UCLA or USC. Otherwise you will not get a job in any of these cities. Maybe take a full ride at a lower ranked regional in one of these cities.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22842
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Immigration Lawyer

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:36 am

What kind of immigration law do you want to do?

User avatar
PepperJack
Posts: 646
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:23 pm

Re: Immigration Lawyer

Postby PepperJack » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:36 pm

Yale, Harvard and Stanford are solid options for immigration law.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Socratease and 7 guests