ITT: Practicing attorneys tell you your top choice is bad Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
mt2165

Silver

Re: ITT: Practicing attorneys tell you your top choice is bad

Post by mt2165 » Thu May 01, 2014 9:24 pm

Goals: Eventually Gov/PI/Politics, expecting some biglaw to pay off debts, perhaps as a (mediocre/risky) segue into my desired fields. Would love to practice in DC/NYC/CLE in that order.

Regional ties: NE Ohio, and Upstate NY

Schools I'm considering: Cornell at 100k COA.

Other info: AA Male, no outstanding debt.

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Thu May 01, 2014 11:07 pm

Shirosham wrote:Preferred format:

Goal(s): Not sure. PI/IP (Not enough units to become Patent)

Regional Ties: Family in California, most of my work & friends in California.

School(s):
Wake Forest - 90,000 (Academic Standing Stip)
Pepperdine - 180,000 (Top 50% stip)
Santa Clara - 90,000 (3.0 stip) - 50% scholarships aren't retained, bit worried about section stacking.
Lewis & Clark - 90,000 (2.6 or something Stip)

Name of school and total cost to attend (NOT the total scholarship award) after scholarships and cost of living
Other pertinent information:

I'm good with undergraduate loans.

Ideally I'd like to end up staying in California, but I'm open to living and working somewhere else. N
Those are all terrible options.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Thu May 01, 2014 11:15 pm

School(s):
Santa Clara - 90,000 (3.0 stip) - 50% scholarships aren't retained, bit worried about section stacking.

Name of school and total cost to attend (NOT the total scholarship award) after scholarships and cost of living

Ideally I'd like to end up staying in California, but I'm open to living and working somewhere else. N
Nope.

Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Post by Pragmatic Gun » Thu May 01, 2014 11:26 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:

School(s):

Nope.
The key quote here is "2.6 or something". OP, you should really be on top of those conditions. How many people lose their conditional scholarships?

Shirosham

Bronze

Post by Shirosham » Fri May 02, 2014 12:19 am

Pragmatic Gun wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:

School(s):

Nope.
The key quote here is "2.6 or something". OP, you should really be on top of those conditions. How many people lose their conditional scholarships?
It was a 2.6, couldn't remember if they were the weird one with a 2.65. It's never been a main consideration for me as I'm not interested in environmental law, but it's one of the few places where my option to attend is still open. Their retention rate is pretty good with it, 3 people lost there's out of ~90.

Nope on all options? =\. Worth it to wait another cycle? I haven't negotiated any of my scholarships, would it even be worth it to try?

I'm leaning towards Wakeforest right now seeing as tuition will run me $48k for all three years. While Santa Clara is looking at $51k, Lewis & Clark at $60k.

Pepperdine is def. looking out of the picture though their mediation center sounds phenomenal.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Yanky91

Bronze

Post by Yanky91 » Fri May 02, 2014 12:26 am

Shirosham wrote: I'm leaning towards Wakeforest right now seeing as tuition will run me $48k for all three years. While Santa Clara is looking at $51k, Lewis & Clark at $60k Pepperdine is def. looking out of the picture.
Would tuition be 48k? If you have a 90k scholarship and tuition is 42,526 then you are looking at 37,578.... no?

blackbeardspubes

New

Post by blackbeardspubes » Fri May 02, 2014 1:32 am

Goal:
Prosecute the shit out of criminal scum and represent the public's best interest. I can see myself living anywhere.

Ties:
I worked and lived in NYC for half a year after graduating, then moved home for a more interesting opportunity. Will have 1 year WE upon law school matriculation. I must note that I live in the middle of fucking no where, a podunk ass'd town. The last serious criminal offense involved a horse, a stable and a pitchfork. The horse was charged with manslaughter.

Schools:

Temple @ COL
Emory @ 3/4 tuition
Tulane @ COL
William and Mary @ 3/4 tuition
BC @ Sticker
SMU @ Sticker

I didn't apply to many schools, let alone top schools, mainly because I plan to sit out this cycle and work for an extra year/retake the LSAT. Thoughts, opinions? Should I just go to Temple or Tulane?

Shirosham

Bronze

Post by Shirosham » Fri May 02, 2014 3:55 am

Yanky91 wrote:
Shirosham wrote: I'm leaning towards Wakeforest right now seeing as tuition will run me $48k for all three years. While Santa Clara is looking at $51k, Lewis & Clark at $60k Pepperdine is def. looking out of the picture.
Would tuition be 48k? If you have a 90k scholarship and tuition is 42,526 then you are looking at 37,578.... no?
90k is what my estimate is for tuition for 3 years and cost of living.

paayter

Bronze

Post by paayter » Fri May 02, 2014 5:49 am

Shirosham wrote:
Pragmatic Gun wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:

School(s):

Nope.
It was a 2.6, couldn't remember if they were the weird one with a 2.65. It's never been a main consideration for me as I'm not interested in environmental law, but it's one of the few places where my option to attend is still open. Their retention rate is pretty good with it, 3 people lost there's out of ~90.

Nope on all options? =\. Worth it to wait another cycle? I haven't negotiated any of my scholarships, would it even be worth it to try?

I'm leaning towards Wakeforest right now seeing as tuition will run me $48k for all three years. While Santa Clara is looking at $51k, Lewis & Clark at $60k.

Pepperdine is def. looking out of the picture though their mediation center sounds phenomenal.
i mean you have ties in california, u are gonna go to nc to a school that has a 42 percent employment score. i mean at least if you were to be unemployed in cali you have family and a support system, did you not apply to usd or loyola? im sure your scholarship money would have been a bit better there. btw waiting another app cycle is not going to help.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

paayter

Bronze

Post by paayter » Fri May 02, 2014 5:51 am

blackbeardspubes wrote:Goal:
Prosecute the shit out of criminal scum and represent the public's best interest. I can see myself living anywhere.

Ties:
I worked and lived in NYC for half a year after graduating, then moved home for a more interesting opportunity. Will have 1 year WE upon law school matriculation. I must note that I live in the middle of fucking no where, a podunk ass'd town. The last serious criminal offense involved a horse, a stable and a pitchfork. The horse was charged with manslaughter.

Schools:

Temple @ COL
Emory @ 3/4 tuition
Tulane @ COL
BC @ Sticker
SMU @ Sticker

I didn't apply to many schools, let alone top schools, mainly because I plan to sit out this cycle and work for an extra year/retake the LSAT. Thoughts, opinions? Should I just go to Temple or Tulane?
no on temple/tulane, but how did you get 3/4 tuition scholarship from emory and nothing from smu??? even with a late app....id try to negotiate with smu and let them know about emory.

Shirosham

Bronze

Post by Shirosham » Fri May 02, 2014 9:45 am

prezidentv8 wrote:

i mean you have ties in california, u are gonna go to nc to a school that has a 42 percent employment score. i mean at least if you were to be unemployed in cali you have family and a support system, did you not apply to usd or loyola? im sure your scholarship money would have been a bit better there. btw waiting another app cycle is not going to help.
Didn't apply to USD.

Loyola offered no scholarship. They were the only one's I emailed so far for a reconsideration. I let them know that SCU was offering a 90k scholarship and Wake a 75k but they said no. Wasn't willing to pay first deposit to wait and see.

Also where should I look for employment score. I checked on transparency and I got 56.5 w 6.9 school funded. Is that not where I should be looking? Sorry.

blackbeardspubes

New

Post by blackbeardspubes » Fri May 02, 2014 1:59 pm

USER WAS BANNED FOR BEING A TURD

bound

Silver

Post by bound » Fri May 02, 2014 2:05 pm

blackbeardspubes wrote:
paayter wrote:

Ties:

Schools:

Temple @ COL
Emory @ 3/4 tuition
Tulane @ COL
BC @ Sticker
SMU @ Sticker

no on temple/tulane, but how did you get 3/4 tuition scholarship from emory and nothing from smu??? even with a late app....id try to negotiate with smu and let them know about emory.

why tha FUK would i take advice from you? you're not even IN law school. [REDACTED].

EDIT: LOL you're going to LOYOLA!! your advice is beyond hilarious within that context.

that escalated quickly. :shock:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

blackbeardspubes

New

Post by blackbeardspubes » Fri May 02, 2014 2:07 pm

bound wrote:
blackbeardspubes wrote:
paayter wrote:

Ties:

Schools:

Temple @ COL
Emory @ 3/4 tuition
Tulane @ COL
BC @ Sticker
SMU @ Sticker

why tha FUK would i take advice from you? you're not even IN law school. [REDACTED.

EDIT: LOL you're going to LOYOLA!! your advice is beyond hilarious within that context.

that escalated quickly. :shock:

uhmmm. why don't you either adhere to the topic of the thread or FUCK OFFF!

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Fri May 02, 2014 2:15 pm

blackbeardspubes wrote:uhmmm. why don't you either adhere to the topic of the thread or FUCK OFFF!
Was gonna help. Now, not gonna help. Posted all this so I get to witness another seizure.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Fri May 02, 2014 2:16 pm

blackbeardspubes wrote:

why tha FUK would i take advice from you? you're not even IN law school. REDACTED.

If you're going to have a retarded shtick like "durr I'm a pirate" at least be chill.

blackbeardspubes

New

Post by blackbeardspubes » Fri May 02, 2014 2:17 pm

bjsesq wrote:
blackbeardspubes wrote:uhmmm. why don't you either adhere to the topic of the thread or FUCK OFFF!
Was gonna help. Now, not gonna help. Posted all this so I get to witness another seizure.

I'm truly sorry beyond words. I've spent so many months at sea that my patience for indirect responses and my tolerance for stupidity is very low. But your wisdom, applied to my particular situation, would be greatly appreciated.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

blackbeardspubes

New

Post by blackbeardspubes » Fri May 02, 2014 2:19 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
blackbeardspubes wrote:

why tha FUK would i take advice from you? you're not even IN law school. redacted.

who are you?
If you're going to have a retarded shtick like "durr I'm a pirate" at least be chill.
I agree.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Fri May 02, 2014 2:19 pm

blackbeardspubes wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

I'm truly sorry beyond words. I've spent so many months at sea that my patience for indirect responses and my tolerance for stupidity is very low. But your wisdom, applied to my particular situation, would be greatly appreciated.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nicely done.

blackbeardspubes

New

Post by blackbeardspubes » Fri May 02, 2014 2:21 pm

bjsesq wrote:
blackbeardspubes wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nicely done.
So, will you regale me with your wisdom?

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Fri May 02, 2014 2:23 pm

I will just support the decision you seem to have already made: I would sit it out and retake. Temple and Tulane are ass, and Emory isn't worth it at that cost.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JustHawkin

Gold

Post by JustHawkin » Fri May 02, 2014 2:24 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote: If you're going to have a retarded shtick like "durr I'm a pirate" at least be chill.

blackbeardspubes

New

Post by blackbeardspubes » Fri May 02, 2014 2:29 pm

bjsesq wrote:I will just support the decision you seem to have already made: I would sit it out and retake. Temple and Tulane are ass, and Emory isn't worth it at that cost.

so given my particular goals, and my weak/non-existent ties, what should I do next cycle? Where should I apply?

I did apply really late this cycle, mainly to test the markets of a few particular regions, but my LSAT score is pretty damn high and I can presumably get into much better schools.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Fri May 02, 2014 2:30 pm

What are your numbers? Applying late in the cycle fucks you.

blackbeardspubes

New

Post by blackbeardspubes » Fri May 02, 2014 2:33 pm

bjsesq wrote:What are your numbers? Applying late in the cycle fucks you.
Yes, as i found out. If I apply and matriculate next cycle, I'll have 2 full years WE. Undergrad GPA = 2.9 LSAT = 173

EDIT: 1 full year public interest work

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”