ITT: Practicing attorneys tell you your top choice is bad Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
trebekismyhero

Silver

Re: ITT: Practicing attorneys tell you your top choice is bad

Post by trebekismyhero » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:23 pm

rush4334 wrote:School: University of Minnesota

Regional Ties: attended UG at UMN, 3 years legal assistant WE in Minneapolis at major company in Minneapolis, grew up in nearby state, minor ties in Chicago

Goals: Mid/Big Law in either Minneapolis or Chicago, also interested in clerking a year

Other info: COA about 100k, pretty cheap cost of living, minor UG student loans (about 10k)
Big law in MPLS or Chicago will be hard coming from UMN. You can definitely clerk at the state court level, but federal clerkships will be very difficult.

If your goals were a little more modest, UMN seems like the perfect choice, but what you want is more in line with t13 schools

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:05 pm

JGPGH wrote:School: W&M
Regional Ties: None. Moving there from Pennsylvania, don't know anyone practicing law in Virginia
Goals: Working in DC and the surrounding Virginia area is my main goal, and if I can accomplish that I would like to go into government or big law ideally. However, location is the main thing for me.
Other info: I have no debt from college and will be receiving a 15k a year scholarship from W&M. I am also lucky enough that my family will be covering the rest of COA for law school.

It would be nice to hear from a practicing attorney how tough/unfavorable this situation will be for me :lol: Thanks in advance.
I wouldn't go in expecting biglaw, but no debt makes this fine.

JGPGH

New

Post by JGPGH » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:56 am

ExBiglawAssociate wrote:
JGPGH wrote:School: W&M
Regional Ties: None. Moving there from Pennsylvania, don't know anyone practicing law in Virginia
Goals: Working in DC and the surrounding Virginia area is my main goal, and if I can accomplish that I would like to go into government or big law ideally. However, location is the main thing for me.
Other info: I have no debt from college and will be receiving a 15k a year scholarship from W&M. I am also lucky enough that my family will be covering the rest of COA for law school.

It would be nice to hear from a practicing attorney how tough/unfavorable this situation will be for me :lol: Thanks in advance.
I wouldn't go in expecting biglaw, but no debt makes this fine.
Thank you, I appreciate the input

CPAlawHopefu

Bronze

Post by CPAlawHopefu » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:36 pm

Goal(s): Biglaw
Regional Ties: Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago
School(s): UIUC. Full Tuition Scholarship. $60k loan (plus interest) over three years.
Other pertinent information: 30 year old. UG loan of 8k still remaining.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:19 pm

CPAlawHopefu wrote:Goal(s): Biglaw
School(s): UIUC. Full Tuition Scholarship. $60k loan (plus interest) over three years.
Big law in SF or LA will be almost impossible from UIUC unless you are patent eligible. Very real chance of big law in Chicago, but still need to be top 1/3. Full ride is a good deal though

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bmathers

Silver

Post by bmathers » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:10 am

Here we go, my deposit has already been placed and decision has been made, but I'll throw it out there anyway:

School: Penn State Dickinson

COA: full-tuition scholarship and 5k/yr stipend. I have a successful MLM side biz that produces 30k-40k/yr to help cover COA (assuming that doesn't dip too much when I shift to LS). No debt from UG either.

Ties: grew up in nothcentral PA, currently live OOS though. Would like to get back closer to a decent city after graduation (suburbs are fine).

Goals:. I'm keeping an open mind 1L, but not interested in PD work, for sure.

onlyhere4fun

New

Post by onlyhere4fun » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:56 am

Fordham COA: 90-100K

Goals: NYC BL, will settle for lower level law if not in top fourth of class (I.E. Fordham's BL+FC= >%40 accoridng to LST's report for 2016's graduating class https://www.lstreports.com/schools/fordham/)

UHB

New

Post by UHB » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:25 am

School: University of South Carolina Law

Regional Ties: Grew up in Columbia, SC suburb, my parents/grandparents and wife's parents/grandparents are from Columbia. Did undergrad at USC-Columbia. Entire extended family lives in or around Columbia and Greenville.

Goals: Working somewhere in-state, not particularly interested in big-law. We would like to be close to our families.

Other info: GI Bill (currently an Air Force Officer), so debt is not as much of an issue. Also, could probably get an ANG commission at a nearby base. Due to ties, my wife would also be much more likely to find a job in Columbia than elsewhere.

carasrook

Bronze

Post by carasrook » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:29 am

alrighty.....i think i've heard from most of the people who post here, but going for it anyway...

School: UIUC
Regional Ties: Grew up near Chicago (0 - 18), but went to undergrad in the south, currently live on the east coast - so all of my professional connections are elsewhere.
Goals: I want to practice in Chicago. I feel very strongly about family law, but I'm open to changing my mind (immigration, criminal (prosecutor/PD), PI...many areas interest me)
Other info:
- No debt from undergrad - I have a full tuition scholarship from UIUC, so I'm just on the hook for living expenses. Savings and help from family will cover almost all of that, and I'll graduate with 0 debt assuming I can find paid work during the summers - minimal debt (<$8k) if I'm working unpaid during the summers.
- I currently work in biglaw and have no expectation that the firm would hire me back (nor would i particularly want to work in biglaw, but would be open to summering here if it were an option bc $$)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LET'S GET IT

Silver

Post by LET'S GET IT » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:37 am

carasrook wrote:alrighty.....i think i've heard from most of the people who post here, but going for it anyway...

School: UIUC
Regional Ties: Grew up near Chicago (0 - 18), but went to undergrad in the south, currently live on the east coast - so all of my professional connections are elsewhere.
Goals: I want to practice in Chicago. I feel very strongly about family law, but I'm open to changing my mind (immigration, criminal (prosecutor/PD), PI...many areas interest me)
Other info:
- No debt from undergrad - I have a full tuition scholarship from UIUC, so I'm just on the hook for living expenses. Savings and help from family will cover almost all of that, and I'll graduate with 0 debt assuming I can find paid work during the summers - minimal debt (<$8k) if I'm working unpaid during the summers.
- I currently work in biglaw and have no expectation that the firm would hire me back (nor would i particularly want to work in biglaw, but would be open to summering here if it were an option bc $$)
Considering your goals, you're in great shape. Go for it.

LET'S GET IT

Silver

Post by LET'S GET IT » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:38 am

UHB wrote:School: University of South Carolina Law

Regional Ties: Grew up in Columbia, SC suburb, my parents/grandparents and wife's parents/grandparents are from Columbia. Did undergrad at USC-Columbia. Entire extended family lives in or around Columbia and Greenville.

Goals: Working somewhere in-state, not particularly interested in big-law. We would like to be close to our families.

Other info: GI Bill (currently an Air Force Officer), so debt is not as much of an issue. Also, could probably get an ANG commission at a nearby base. Due to ties, my wife would also be much more likely to find a job in Columbia than elsewhere.
Also seems fine considering goals, just know that there is a good chance it takes you quite a while before you make much money, if ever.

FamilyLawEsq

Bronze

Post by FamilyLawEsq » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:44 pm

bmathers wrote:Here we go, my deposit has already been placed and decision has been made, but I'll throw it out there anyway:

COA: full-tuition scholarship and 5k/yr stipend. I have a successful MLM side biz that produces 30k-40k/yr to help cover COA (assuming that doesn't dip too much when I shift to LS). No debt from UG either.

Ties: grew up in nothcentral PA, currently live OOS though. Would like to get back closer to a decent city after graduation (suburbs are fine).

If you would be happy working in Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, State College, Harrisburg, Altoona, York, Lancaster or the surrounding areas, your choice is excellent.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:58 pm

trebekismyhero wrote:
CPAlawHopefu wrote:Goal(s): Biglaw
Big law in SF or LA will be almost impossible from UIUC unless you are patent eligible. Very real chance of big law in Chicago, but still need to be top 1/3. Full ride is a good deal though
Without ties, best shot at CA is going to be starting at a national firm in Chicago and moving to a CA office. Still going to be tough.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

midnight_in_georgia

New

Post by midnight_in_georgia » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:21 pm

University of Georgia Law (full scholarship, ties to the region)

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:49 pm

Goals?

cinderellasyndrome

New

Post by cinderellasyndrome » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:47 pm

Goals: Conservative think tank, nonpartisan policy org, or state/federal regulatory agency

Ties: Connecticut (home state)

Choices:

ASU
Arizona
Nevada
New Mexico
Richmond
W&L
Mason
New Hampshire
UNC

Any I should apply to that I don't have listed? (3.2; PTing 163 but aiming higher)

LET'S GET IT

Silver

Post by LET'S GET IT » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:59 am

cinderellasyndrome wrote:Goals: Conservative think tank, nonpartisan policy org, or state/federal regulatory agency

Choices:

ASU
Arizona
Nevada
New Mexico
Richmond
W&L
Mason
New Hampshire
UNC

Any I should apply to that I don't have listed? (3.2; PTing 163 but aiming higher)
I'm not trying to be mean, and I know this isn't what you want to hear, but with those goals you shouldn't apply to law school until you have an LSAT that can get you to NU at a decent price.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mrcfa1995

New

Post by mrcfa1995 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:52 am

Last edited by mrcfa1995 on Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jchiles

Silver

Post by jchiles » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:35 am

bmathers wrote:Here we go, my deposit has already been placed and decision has been made, but I'll throw it out there anyway:

I think you're ok as long as you are flexible on your definition of a "decent city."

skedaddle

New

Post by skedaddle » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:46 am

Goal(s): In-house corporate/transactional, preferably in technology.
Regional Ties: Strong network/ties to PNW, California, Texas, and Midwest.
School(s): CU-Boulder, low COA (would not need loans).
Other pertinent information: LSAT in the mid-160s, less-than-stellar undergrad GPA, but Masters in Legal Studies and 10+ years of experience as a paralegal in BigLaw and in-house. I like Colorado and could see myself settling there, but I don't have a network in Denver/Boulder to ask about the job market and CU's employment stats are a little worrying.

LET'S GET IT

Silver

Post by LET'S GET IT » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:48 am

mrcfa1995 wrote:I don't have any admissions or scholarship info yet, but I'm hoping to choose between Chicago or Columbia (HLS being my unrealistic reach) at or near sticker, and a lower T14 or GULC with half or near half scholly (or Umiami law for free). My numbers are 3.85 at a T50 undergrad & 171 as a K-JD with average softs. My career goals are coming back to Miami to work at a biglaw firm (GT, Akerman, H&L, or White & Case) and then either clerk or go to a boutique. Any advice?

Too speculative. Come back when you have something concrete.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

LET'S GET IT

Silver

Post by LET'S GET IT » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:53 am

skedaddle wrote:Goal(s): In-house corporate/transactional, preferably in technology.
Regional Ties: Strong network/ties to PNW, California, Texas, and Midwest.
School(s): CU-Boulder, low COA (would not need loans).
Other pertinent information: LSAT in the mid-160s, less-than-stellar undergrad GPA, but Masters in Legal Studies and 10+ years of experience as a paralegal in BigLaw and in-house. I like Colorado and could see myself settling there, but I don't have a network in Denver/Boulder to ask about the job market and CU's employment stats are a little worrying.
It's kind of hard to answer this because 1. Your career goal is a long term goal (people don't generally get in-house gigs until they have a few years experience under their belt), and 2. "low COA" is a bit ambiguous. I think you're right to be concerned about the job stats, especially considering your goals and lack of ties to the area.

cinderellasyndrome

New

Post by cinderellasyndrome » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:08 pm

LET'S GET IT wrote:
cinderellasyndrome wrote:Goals: Conservative think tank, nonpartisan policy org, or state/federal regulatory agency

Choices:

ASU
Arizona
Nevada
New Mexico
Richmond
W&L
Mason
New Hampshire
UNC

I'm not trying to be mean, and I know this isn't what you want to hear, but with those goals you shouldn't apply to law school until you have an LSAT that can get you to NU at a decent price.
NU? What is NU and why would I want to go there?

LET'S GET IT

Silver

Post by LET'S GET IT » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:31 pm

cinderellasyndrome wrote:
LET'S GET IT wrote:

Choices:

ASU
Arizona
Nevada
New Mexico
Richmond
W&L
Mason
New Hampshire
UNC

NU is Northwestern. It's the best school that routinely accepts and gives money to applicants with lower undergrad GPAs.You'd want to go there because it gives you a legitimate shot of achieving your stated career goals, whereas the schools you listed probably don't.

cinderellasyndrome

New

Post by cinderellasyndrome » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:10 pm

LET'S GET IT wrote:
cinderellasyndrome wrote:
LET'S GET IT wrote:

Choices:

ASU
Arizona
Nevada
New Mexico
Richmond
W&L
Mason
New Hampshire
UNC

NU is Northwestern. It's the best school that routinely accepts and gives money to applicants with lower undergrad GPAs.You'd want to go there because it gives you a legitimate shot of achieving your stated career goals, whereas the schools you listed probably don't.
Do any of the other contributors here want to weigh in on this?

I ask because New Mexico routinely places around 23% of its grads in government and public interest, as just one example. Mason gives me the opportunity to make DC ties and is backed by the Koch Brothers, as another example. Yet *none* of these schools will get me to any of my stated goals?

Meanwhile, Northwestern's 25th percentile GPA is 3.43, over two points above mine. Making even their 50th percentile would require an LSAT bump of almost 10 points. And almost no one there gets a full ride, which I've gotten this cycle and am aiming to get again given my debt averseness (.8% get more than that, which given their stats is not achievable for me). I'll take my chances at a full ride and a few years in state gov or a more local think tank out in the desert.

It just seems telling that rather than assessing my chances at achieving any one of a broad set of goals at *any* of the schools I listed, you would immediately tell me I need to be aiming for a top 10 (highly unrealistic with my stats) in a completely different area. I suppose I don't know what I was expecting in a "T13 or don't go at all" type thread, but this is disappointing given the very reasonable advice I've seen from others here.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”