Advice on UVA ED Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
monsterman

Bronze

Re: Advice on UVA ED

Post by monsterman » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:23 pm

Clearly wrote:By the way, be very active on these waitlist. You'll get one of them.
How often should I be contacting those schools that wait listed me? I feel there is a fine line between conveying meaningful interest and falling into annoying blither.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:27 pm

monsterman wrote:
Clearly wrote:By the way, be very active on these waitlist. You'll get one of them.
How often should I be contacting those schools that wait listed me? I feel there is a fine line between conveying meaningful interest and falling into annoying blither.
Honestly, I have reason to believe that being personable, and visiting a school, shaking hands and really expressinginterest is effective with wait lists. Generic locis aren't what I had in mind.

JustHawkin

Gold

Post by JustHawkin » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:23 pm

monsterman wrote:So far, the top school to which I've been accepted is Vandy. I have a 3.3 and a 170 with one retake left. I've been wait listed at Duke and Penn, and ED held from Northwestern. I'm still waiting on UVA, Michigan, Georgetown, and Cornell.

My question is, should I switch to ED at UVA? I feel like this will increase my chances, though I'm not sure how that looks switching after I applied in early December.

I want Biglaw, or I want to somehow land up working a public interest job in DC. I realize these are very different, but I know UVA gives me a better shot at this than Vandy. I want to end up working in NY DC or a midwestern city like Pittsburgh or Chicago.

I know I'll likely end up paying sticker at UVA, but I assume that's what would happen if I were accepted RD, anyways. I would attend at sticker.

Any advice on this would be appreciated!
I'm curious, how much does a 169 change this, in place of the 170?

jk148706

Gold

Post by jk148706 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:30 pm

Man, Monsterman, I'm like in the same situation. It's tough

I'm terrified to pay sticker at t14. But I'm terrified to go to a school with a <70% LST score.

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:36 pm

You should be concerned with paying sticker. If you've never worked 70 hours in a single week, and aren't sure how you feel about being forced to do that for the next four to five years, I would strongly recommend either not going to law school, or only going if you got a significant scholarship.

OP seemed fairly down with the idea of biglaw though, which is the only reason I would justify ED to UVA.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jk148706

Gold

Post by jk148706 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:41 pm

twenty wrote:You should be concerned with paying sticker. If you've never worked 70 hours in a single week, and aren't sure how you feel about being forced to do that for the next four to five years, I would strongly recommend either not going to law school, or only going if you got a significant scholarship.

OP seemed fairly down with the idea of biglaw though, which is the only reason I would justify ED to UVA.
I also want biglaw, but still $200k+ in debt is frightening.

californiauser

Silver

Post by californiauser » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:42 pm

I don't think any non-T6 is worth 200k+. Big law is hardly guranteed out of UVA, a couple bad test days and you're in the 1/5 of the class working for the school

chneyo

Bronze

Post by chneyo » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:04 pm

Last edited by chneyo on Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:15 pm

Once you exclude biglaw and its internal eccentricities (i.e, forcing people out), there shouldn't be that big of a risk difference between 250k and 150k. Once you strike out at biglaw, you're screwed either way. I guess you get hit with a bigger tax bomb at the end of 20 PAYE years, but that's honestly it.

The consideration should probably be "how much longer would I have to do biglaw?" rather than "how risky is 300k as opposed to 200k debt?"

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

californiauser

Silver

Post by californiauser » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:20 pm

twenty wrote:Once you exclude biglaw and its internal eccentricities (i.e, forcing people out), there shouldn't be that big of a risk difference between 250k and 150k. Once you strike out at biglaw, you're screwed either way. I guess you get hit with a bigger tax bomb at the end of 20 PAYE years, but that's honestly it.

The consideration should probably be "how much longer would I have to do biglaw?" rather than "how risky is 300k as opposed to 200k debt?"
I don't agree with the bolded bit at all. There is an enormous difference

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:23 pm

I used to make that conclusion, too, but I've really pulled away from looking at the exorbitant dollar amounts and instead started looking at the lifestyle changes that exist with those dollar amounts. And to be fair, I've yet to see anything that remarkably substantial.

I always appreciate hearing alternative viewpoints, though. Why do you disagree?

californiauser

Silver

Post by californiauser » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:30 pm

twenty wrote:I used to make that conclusion, too, but I've really pulled away from looking at the exorbitant dollar amounts and instead started looking at the lifestyle changes that exist with those dollar amounts. And to be fair, I've yet to see anything that remarkably substantial.

I always appreciate hearing alternative viewpoints, though. Why do you disagree?
I suppose if you're gunning for PI, then it doesn't really matter. If one wants private practice, I think it is reasonable to pay off 150k even if you miss the big law boat out of a top school. On the flipside, it doesn't seem reasonable to pay off 200k+ with 7% interest without big law. I have no faith in PAYE and I really wouldn't want that debt burden hanging over my head.

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:39 pm

Okay, that makes sense. Personally, I'd probably still do PAYE at that point, but I can see what you're saying now.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

monsterman

Bronze

Post by monsterman » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:31 pm

Thanks everyone for the input. I think I'm going to wait a 1-2 weeks to see if I get any T14 offers. I am NU ED held, and I should be hearing back from them this week. That will significantly determine my plans regarding ED at UVA.

sl5uw13

Bronze

Post by sl5uw13 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:29 pm

I can't say enough for using all of your retakes. I got a 168, twice. and my father flat out told me why are you going to retake you got the same score twice why do you think you'll do any better. I was waitlisted by U.Va and retook last june for a 173. uva gave me 90k off the waitlist. so if you think you can do better on the lsat, don't leave money on the table. I turned down a full ride to a top 25 to retake in june. so I wouldn't ed but instead retake! fyi I had a 3.55 so also a splitter.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:58 pm

sl5uw13 wrote:I can't say enough for using all of your retakes. I got a 168, twice. and my father flat out told me why are you going to retake you got the same score twice why do you think you'll do any better. I was waitlisted by U.Va and retook last june for a 173. uva gave me 90k off the waitlist. so if you think you can do better on the lsat, don't leave money on the table. I turned down a full ride to a top 25 to retake in june. so I wouldn't ed but instead retake! fyi I had a 3.55 so also a splitter.
Thanks for sharing this. 168 here, planning on a June retake for $$.

monsterman

Bronze

Post by monsterman » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:45 pm

cron1834 wrote:
sl5uw13 wrote:I can't say enough for using all of your retakes. I got a 168, twice. and my father flat out told me why are you going to retake you got the same score twice why do you think you'll do any better. I was waitlisted by U.Va and retook last june for a 173. uva gave me 90k off the waitlist. so if you think you can do better on the lsat, don't leave money on the table. I turned down a full ride to a top 25 to retake in june. so I wouldn't ed but instead retake! fyi I had a 3.55 so also a splitter.
Thanks for sharing this. 168 here, planning on a June retake for $$.
+1. I hate the idea of retaking but I also know it's stupid not to. Is it possible to use a better June LSAT score for leverage at a school you are already committed to? Or is it only useful for wait list purposes?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

norkanite

New

Post by norkanite » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:41 pm

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”