BU/BC Difference in CA Placement?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ManoftheHour

BU/BC Difference in CA Placement?

Postby ManoftheHour » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:24 pm

Obviously, going to either school with the intent of practicing in a place other than Massachusetts or New York is completely foolish, but why the discrepancy in placement in CA?

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school= ... b=location

mx23250

Re: BU/BC Difference in CA Placement?

Postby mx23250 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:27 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:Obviously, going to either school with the intent of practicing in a place other than Massachusetts or New York is completely foolish, but why the discrepancy in placement in CA?

BU has a very strong IP program and CA has the biggest market for IP attorneys. It's probably far from the only reason, but it may be a contributing factor.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:46 pm

Be wary of trying to draw conclusions from relatively small percentage discrepancies. If you click back a few years, you'll find they both send about 5-6% to California (or the catch-all "Pacific"). I doubt there's anything more than random per-year applicant preference that explains it.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:56 pm

For what its worth - practicing attorneys don't read US News and so BC is still assumed to be a hair "better" than BU although I seem to remember hearing a few years ago that BC fell below BU in the rankings.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:58 am

I wouldn't go to either if you just want to end up in CA.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:02 am

Blindmelon wrote:I wouldn't go to either if you just want to end up in CA.

Yea - this. I'm out of the rankings game, etc., but wouldn't you have an equal shot at like UCLA or USC if you're currently looking at BC/BU. Those would be better choices for CA.

Also note that the CA legal market is really rough right now. The attorneys in the CA offices of my firm all have top credentials (whereas in the east coast offices there are a few TTT grands like me that slipped through the cracks ;)

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:24 pm

reasonable_man wrote:

Yea - this. I'm out of the rankings game, etc., but wouldn't you have an equal shot at like UCLA or USC if you're currently looking at BC/BU. Those would be better choices for CA.

Also note that the CA legal market is really rough right now. The attorneys in the CA offices of my firm all have top credentials (whereas in the east coast offices there are a few TTT grands like me that slipped through the cracks ;)

For sure. I do know this. I have a solid backup plan if my cycle doesn't go well and I would only attend BC/BU with $$$ and the intention of working in Boston. I was just curious because if I had equal offers from both schools, that 10% placement might be a small tipping point for BU.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:55 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:

For sure. I do know this. I have a solid backup plan if my cycle doesn't go well and I would only attend BC/BU with $$$ and the intention of working in Boston. I was just curious because if I had equal offers from both schools, that 10% placement might be a small tipping point for BU.

Makes sense. I wouldn't attribute much credited to that placement differential and frankly, the further you get away from the region, the more "prestige" at least prestige assigned by attorneys counts and in that respect I think BC has BU edged out (regardless of whatever USNWR has to say on the matter). Good luck.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”