Cornell vs Northwestern vs GULC

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
crimson34

Cornell vs Northwestern vs GULC

Postby crimson34 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:23 pm

Hey all. I was hoping to get some advice. I have yet to hear anything about money from these schools, but because I've worked for a few years I am guessing there won't be much need based aid available to me. It looks like I will be deciding between Georgetown, Cornell, and Northwestern. My goal is Biglaw, but if it were to not happen I would also be interested in stepping back into the corporate world working in the legal department of a company. I do believe that I could reasonably get a job in legal where I work now after graduation as a last resort.

I have read a lot that people would not go to these schools at sticker but unless I pull off some merit based aid my guess is sticker will be my only option. However I have saved enough that I likely could go to a school at sticker without crippling myself financially.

I know many will say retake but I have retaken twice and feel I have probably reached my ceiling of 169.

I am looking to see if you were in my situation what would you do? Whcich school would provide the best opportunity to find relatively secure employment and have the best return on investment.

The last factor is I also have the option to attend Boston university at $20k a year scholly. So would you recommend Georgetown, Cornell, northwestern, Boston university or just not go to school.

Thanks for the help.

BigZuck

Re: Cornell vs Northwestern vs GULC

Postby BigZuck » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:26 pm

crimson34 wrote:Hey all. I was hoping to get some advice. I have yet to hear anything about money from these schools, but because I've worked for a few years I am guessing there won't be much need based aid available to me. It looks like I will be deciding between Georgetown, Cornell, and Northwestern. My goal is Biglaw, but if it were to not happen I would also be interested in stepping back into the corporate world working in the legal department of a company. I do believe that I could reasonably get a job in legal where I work now after graduation as a last resort.

I have read a lot that people would not go to these schools at sticker but unless I pull off some merit based aid my guess is sticker will be my only option. However I have saved enough that I likely could go to a school at sticker without crippling myself financially.

I know many will say retake but I have retaken twice and feel I have probably reached my ceiling of 169.

I am looking to see if you were in my situation what would you do? Whcich school would provide the best opportunity to find relatively secure employment and have the best return on investment.

The last factor is I also have the option to attend Boston university at $20k a year scholly. So would you recommend Georgetown, Cornell, northwestern, Boston university or just not go to school.

Thanks for the help.

Stopped reading after "yet to hear anything about money." Wait for that, then come back.

In the meantime, retake.

cotiger

Postby cotiger » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:33 pm

You're above median LSAT at all three. You'll be getting some money. Come back when you do.

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:37 pm

Try and get more money from BU. It's not a bad option if you have New England ties and want work in the area.

Otherwise, yes, wait for the money offers from the other schools and then make your decision.

crimson34

Postby crimson34 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:40 pm

Thanks for the help guys. I will repost once I hear back about money. Appreciatetl the advice.

papercut

Postby papercut » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:26 pm

crimson34 wrote:

There's no such thing as a ceiling except for 180. I'm not saying this trying to be a cheerleader. There's no upper limit on how much math or logic you have the ability to learn. Talking about score ceilings is silly. Retake that shit!

theonyxhotel143

Postby theonyxhotel143 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:51 am

I'm a 1L at Cornell. Honestly, I believe you'll get a decent scholarship from them. I got in off their reserve last year and was still offered a scholarship... really they are quite generous. So, don't assume anything and wait to hear for scholarships.

Cornell will get you the best chance at Big Law. If you want to work in DC, Georgetown might be good (although Cornell can still get your to DC easily, the proximity to DC for three years of law school can offer many advantages).

Return to “Choosing a Law School”