IU Bloomington vs. Washington & Lee

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
Gooner91
Posts: 1376
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:34 pm

Re: IU Bloomington vs. Washington & Lee

Postby Gooner91 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:34 pm

I like three parts of this thread.

1. When strongfaithgurl said that we are unhappy for attending crappy law schools but than asks about going to school that we agree are not going to help her reach her stated goals because their employment statistics are to crappy.
2. When rainforestman or whatever his name is suggested that working in his office at his desk is much harder work than the military, where you have like people trying to kill you. I understand biglaw takes a lot of hours and makes people depressed but I do not think you can really compare it to being in war.
3. How rainforestman talks about professionalism but then makes jokes about peoples avatars that are similar to those that would be made by a 5th grader. Along the same lines states that affability is necessary for working in his office but appears to be quite insufferable.

Ok folks, post your highlights.

User avatar
cron1834
Posts: 1920
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:36 am

Re: IU Bloomington vs. Washington & Lee

Postby cron1834 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:55 pm

raininthedesert wrote:That specific "post" wasn't directed at you.

The only treasure is that you, as a OL with apparently some phenomenal full scholarship offers, feel informed enough to be making subjective statements about schools that you haven't visited or attended.

Immature avatars and passive aggressive posts might work in the military but certainly don't work in professional legal environments. You will quickly find that you are never the smartest person in the room and that it takes hard work and affability to navigate the politics in a Big Law environment.

I wish you the best at law school and your future career endeavors.


Obviously message-boarding /= IRL behavior.

If that weren't the case, you'd be the least affable person here.

Kimikho
Posts: 3971
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:01 pm

Re: IU Bloomington vs. Washington & Lee

Postby Kimikho » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:48 pm

Gooner91 wrote:
Ok folks, post your highlights.


DEFINITELY raininthedesert's use of quotation marks.

User avatar
TheSpanishMain
Posts: 4114
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:26 pm

Re: IU Bloomington vs. Washington & Lee

Postby TheSpanishMain » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:52 pm

He got pretty precious in the Texas Tech vs. Baylor thread too, with the "Oh, now you've gone and done it, buddy! You've insulted a BIG LAW ASSOCIATE!" shtick.

kartelite
Posts: 288
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:44 pm

Re: IU Bloomington vs. Washington & Lee

Postby kartelite » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:56 pm

raininthedesert wrote:Not sure how a 0L claims to be so knowledgeable about Virginia schools. I have no ties to the area or those schools but you obviously have a personal vendetta against Washington & Lee. William & Mary Law is equally isolated and can only fall back on its undergraduate reputation (admittedly a great undergraduate institution) to carry any subjective prestige at the graduate level (e.g., MBA, MS.Ed., etc.).


William & Mary does not have a better reputation than Washington & Lee for undergrad - I can say this as an alum of both schools as well as of UVA. I have met many more W&L than W&M undergrad alumni in the higher reaches of finance/business/law, and I think they are also better represented at T14/T6/T3 law schools and probably BigLaw (their LSAT scores are consistently better). W&M grads tend to flock to DC for government or consulting jobs...and W&L grads are also very loyal to one another, so I personally feel the W&L "brand" is a much more valuable one (and for undergrad, UVA is actually the least selective of those three schools).
Last edited by kartelite on Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigZuck
Posts: 10852
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: IU Bloomington vs. Washington & Lee

Postby BigZuck » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:59 pm

kartelite wrote:
raininthedesert wrote:Not sure how a 0L claims to be so knowledgeable about Virginia schools. I have no ties to the area or those schools but you obviously have a personal vendetta against Washington & Lee. William & Mary Law is equally isolated and can only fall back on its undergraduate reputation (admittedly a great undergraduate institution) to carry any subjective prestige at the graduate level (e.g., MBA, MS.Ed., etc.).


William & Mary does not have a better reputation than Washington & Lee for undergrad - I can say this as an alum of both schools as well as of UVA. I have met many more W&L than W&M undergrad alumni in the higher reaches of finance/business/law - W&M grads tend to flock to DC for government or consulting jobs...and W&L grads are also very loyal to one another, so I personally feel the W&L "brand" is a much more valuable one (and for undergrad, UVA is actually the least selective of those three schools).


Your obsession with collecting Virginia degrees like oh so many Pokémon intrigues me

kartelite
Posts: 288
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:44 pm

Re: IU Bloomington vs. Washington & Lee

Postby kartelite » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:02 pm

BigZuck wrote:
kartelite wrote:
William & Mary does not have a better reputation than Washington & Lee for undergrad - I can say this as an alum of both schools as well as of UVA. I have met many more W&L than W&M undergrad alumni in the higher reaches of finance/business/law - W&M grads tend to flock to DC for government or consulting jobs...and W&L grads are also very loyal to one another, so I personally feel the W&L "brand" is a much more valuable one (and for undergrad, UVA is actually the least selective of those three schools).


Your obsession with collecting Virginia degrees like oh so many Pokémon intrigues me


Well, I'm from Virginia (and I only have degrees from two of those schools, I transferred halfway through undergrad).

User avatar
Gooner91
Posts: 1376
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:34 pm

Re: IU Bloomington vs. Washington & Lee

Postby Gooner91 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:05 pm

kartelite wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
kartelite wrote:
William & Mary does not have a better reputation than Washington & Lee for undergrad - I can say this as an alum of both schools as well as of UVA. I have met many more W&L than W&M undergrad alumni in the higher reaches of finance/business/law - W&M grads tend to flock to DC for government or consulting jobs...and W&L grads are also very loyal to one another, so I personally feel the W&L "brand" is a much more valuable one (and for undergrad, UVA is actually the least selective of those three schools).


Your obsession with collecting Virginia degrees like oh so many Pokémon intrigues me


Well, I'm from Virginia (and I only have degrees from two of those schools, I transferred halfway through undergrad).


Can you rank the three schools as the starter Pokémon from the original game so we can get a better idea of which undergrad is better?

kartelite
Posts: 288
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:44 pm

Re: IU Bloomington vs. Washington & Lee

Postby kartelite » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:26 pm

Gooner91 wrote:
kartelite wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
kartelite wrote:
William & Mary does not have a better reputation than Washington & Lee for undergrad - I can say this as an alum of both schools as well as of UVA. I have met many more W&L than W&M undergrad alumni in the higher reaches of finance/business/law - W&M grads tend to flock to DC for government or consulting jobs...and W&L grads are also very loyal to one another, so I personally feel the W&L "brand" is a much more valuable one (and for undergrad, UVA is actually the least selective of those three schools).


Your obsession with collecting Virginia degrees like oh so many Pokémon intrigues me


Well, I'm from Virginia (and I only have degrees from two of those schools, I transferred halfway through undergrad).


Can you rank the three schools as the starter Pokémon from the original game so we can get a better idea of which undergrad is better?


Uh, sorry not getting the starter Pokemon reference :(

I don't think there's an objective ranking since it's more about "fit" - in terms of academics, they are pretty comparable, but a much different environment. For a Virginia resident, when I was applying UVA was the easiest to get into but there wasn't a huge difference among them.

The "typical" UVA student is very different from the typical W&M student, and likewise with W&L.

Everyone knows UVA, and its graduate programs are generally superior to W&L Law/W&M, so in terms of "name" I would say it clearly has the most pull. So many W&L grads head to Wall Street, top law schools and the like that I think it has better recognition than W&M.

User avatar
Gooner91
Posts: 1376
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:34 pm

Re: IU Bloomington vs. Washington & Lee

Postby Gooner91 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:29 pm

I could be wrong but isn't the population of W&L very upper class and white?

kartelite
Posts: 288
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:44 pm

Re: IU Bloomington vs. Washington & Lee

Postby kartelite » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:01 am

Gooner91 wrote:I could be wrong but isn't the population of W&L very upper class and white?


Compared to other top LACs, yes, but I think that's basically a function of its historical southern conservative bent, and not an indictment of the school's atmosphere. Actually, W&L has made a real outreach over the past decade to focus on recruiting students who may otherwise not be able to afford (through the Johnson Scholars) or have an interest in W&L, and I would guess that the vast majority of students would not be described as white upper class.

User avatar
BankruptMe
Posts: 822
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:02 pm

Re: IU Bloomington vs. Washington & Lee

Postby BankruptMe » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:59 pm

As a Virginia native, I will throw in my 2 cents.

The go to schools:

UVA people tend to go to DC, but if they decide to stay in VA, they pretty much have firms willing to hire. A deadly combo is UVA + Virginia Ties.

W&M is in the middle of nowhere. But according to my friend that just graduated, you have a decent shot of practicing law, they primarily place in DC/VA. I saw their OCI list, and they had firms from NY, PA, MD, DC, VA and NC along with the government jobs like ADA, PD. He chose Midlaw and 100k.

The "Eh" schools:

UR is decent. It is not great, but it is centrally located in the capital. If you can network and hustle, you can find some decent 45-80k small law jobs. Big law is attainable if you are on Law Review. Mid law 50-300 attorney firms are attainable. You really have to stand out to succeed though or you will be chasing ambulances.

W&L is in the middle of nowhere. Literally. It is near the border of WV. The thing UR has over W&L is that it is located in the capital city. So you can actually network. You cannot network at W&L. Unless through email to other W&L grads. I know of a few partners in Big Law who went to W&L. One went on a whim in the 70's and said he "got lucky." You have to stand out to get Big Law/Mid Law, but their market is Richmond and DC. So there is heavy competition.

GMU was just started 40 years ago. I grilled the admissions people when I visited. They said they needed a law school to service the Fredricksburg - Alexandria market. That GW, GULC and the other DC area schools produce lawyers that stay in DC and they do not really come to NOVA. There are strong firms in the area. The problem is, most do not look to GMU to provide talent. GMU services small law, not even really mid law, in the NOVA area. But because of the location and the strong technology/government interests in the area, it can lead to interesting positions.

The other law schools in the state are not worth the time. I am applying to all of these, depending on my LSAT score, but the only ones I would really attend is UVA, WM or UR. If you are not from VA, I would NOT recommend W&L. Too much ground to cover, no city to fall back on for networking and bad employment stats.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: IU Bloomington vs. Washington & Lee

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:26 pm

raininthedesert wrote:That specific "post" wasn't directed at you.

The only treasure is that you, as a OL with apparently some phenomenal full scholarship offers, feel informed enough to be making subjective statements about schools that you haven't visited or attended.

Immature avatars and passive aggressive posts might work in the military but certainly don't work in professional legal environments. You will quickly find that you are never the smartest person in the room and that it takes hard work and affability to navigate the politics in a Big Law environment.

I wish you the best at law school and your future career endeavors.

Stop derailing threads with ad homs and rank idiocy or your time here will be short.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AZnative, carlos_danger and 3 guests