IU Bloomington vs. Washington & Lee Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: IU Bloomington vs. Washington & Lee

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:54 am

raininthedesert wrote:I would lament your lack of professionalism without hesitation. My only "attack" was certainly not personal and well-deserved if you look at the vitriol and ridiculousness of his litany of posts against a school he doesn't even attend. There's obviously more to the story and transparency is a reasonable request. My comments were objective and accurate.
How is speculating that someone must be bitter for not having received a big enough scholarship from a school not personal? Also, since you haven't posted much here, you might not be aware that the tone is generally extremely blunt and even crass, and posters here just have to deal with that, but the content of users' advice is sound.
raininthedesert wrote:And there is nothing "sublime" about a young black man happily yielding a gun as your avatar. Thanks for reinforcing stereotypes.
And thank you for adding a second personal comment as an example of your own "professionalism."

brotherdarkness

Gold

Post by brotherdarkness » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:55 am

What's this T4 shit? In terms of lay prestige, sure, I could understand the argument that UVA isn't "national." But we're not talking about lay prestige, we're talking about the legal industry. Everyone who works in the legal industry knows damn well what the T14 schools are.

raininthedesert

Bronze

Post by raininthedesert » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:00 am

You very well know what this "T4 shit" is and the legal industry was not forged within the past 5-7 years. Legal veterans have no idea and certainly could care less about an arbitrary T14.

raininthedesert

Bronze

Post by raininthedesert » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:03 am

You're welcome "A. Nony Mouse." Your response is out-of-scope but thanks for the feedback. Being extremely blunt is markedly different than being crass. If crass is what you and other TLS'ers are gunning for...good luck with Big Law. I hope I get the chance to interview you during OCI.
Last edited by raininthedesert on Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:05 am

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

raininthedesert

Bronze

Post by raininthedesert » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:05 am

Touche "sublime." Well said.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:07 am

raininthedesert

Bronze

Post by raininthedesert » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:11 am

My apologies. It isn't necessarily a relevant distinction...it's just frequently "dropped" into many threads arbitrarily.

And I was just making sure I captured my alma mater (Columbia Law) for comparative accuracy..."my future T4 peers."

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:18 am

raininthedesert wrote:You're welcome "A. Nony Mouse." Your response is out-of-scope but thanks for the feedback. Being extremely blunt is markedly different than being crass. If crass is what you and other TLS'ers are gunning for...good luck with Big Law. I hope I get the chance to interview you during OCI.
Just explaining what things are like around here; you're not likely to change them single-handedly, but you're welcome to try, I guess.

And I already have a job, but thanks for your best wishes.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

brotherdarkness

Gold

Post by brotherdarkness » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:37 am

raininthedesert wrote:You're welcome "A. Nony Mouse." Your response is out-of-scope but thanks for the feedback. Being extremely blunt is markedly different than being crass. If crass is what you and other TLS'ers are gunning for...good luck with Big Law. I hope I get the chance to interview you during OCI.
Are you a biglaw associate?

raininthedesert

Bronze

Post by raininthedesert » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:38 am

Congratulations (genuine) on securing a job. You will likely find as you progress in your career that "arrogance" and "crassness" will not play well in most legal environments; not to mention how surprised you might be by the talent level of attorneys that attended lower tier schools.

Sardonic wit on the other hand...fair game :wink:

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:41 am

raininthedesert wrote:Congratulations (genuine) on securing a job. You will likely find as you progress in your career that "arrogance" and "crassness" will not play well in most legal environments; not to mention how surprised you might be by the talent level of attorneys that attended lower tier schools.

Sardonic wit on the other hand...fair game :wink:
I probably wasn't clear... I graduated in 2011, so I'm fairly familiar with legal environments by now (and I had a whole other career before law). And lol at me attending a T4 or a T-14 or anything along those lines; I went to a lower tier 1.

I think my point about bluntness and crassness might be better expressed this way: it might help you to think of TLS as the locker room of law schools and law school applications.

yeslekkkk

Bronze

Post by yeslekkkk » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:13 am

Stongfaithgirl, what's your deal? Why do you keep posting threads between two random schools asking for people's opinions?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Kimikho

Gold

Post by Kimikho » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:23 am

This was a great thread.

Gooner91

Silver

Post by Gooner91 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:24 am

raininthedesert wrote:UVA is a "great" law school...LOL. Now I understand why you chose the handle "You Dumb Dildo." UVA is certainly not a nationally portable brand.

Not sure how a 0L claims to be so knowledgeable about Virginia schools. I have no ties to the area or those schools but you obviously have a personal vendetta against Washington & Lee. William & Mary Law is equally isolated and can only fall back on its undergraduate reputation (admittedly a great undergraduate institution) to carry any subjective prestige at the graduate level (e.g., MBA, MS.Ed., etc.).
I thought this too about W&M vs W&L when I read that then I checked LST. W&L has terrible job placement.

phillywc

Gold

Post by phillywc » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:28 am

scoobers wrote:This was a great thread.
Indeed it was. A great posting debut.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:37 am

raininthedesert wrote:I would lament your lack of professionalism without hesitation. My only "attack" was certainly not personal and well-deserved if you look at the vitriol and ridiculousness of his litany of posts against a school he doesn't even attend. There's obviously more to the story and transparency is a reasonable request. My comments were objective and accurate.
You're right. Washington and Lee touched me inappropriately at a party. Thank you for helping me elevate my professional comportment on the internet. You are a TLS treasure.
raininthedesert wrote:I hope I get the chance to interview you during OCI.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

raininthedesert

Bronze

Post by raininthedesert » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:21 pm

That specific "post" wasn't directed at you.

The only treasure is that you, as a OL with apparently some phenomenal full scholarship offers, feel informed enough to be making subjective statements about schools that you haven't visited or attended.

Immature avatars and passive aggressive posts might work in the military but certainly don't work in professional legal environments. You will quickly find that you are never the smartest person in the room and that it takes hard work and affability to navigate the politics in a Big Law environment.

I wish you the best at law school and your future career endeavors.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:24 pm

raininthedesert wrote:That specific "post" wasn't directed at you.

The only treasure is that you, as a OL with apparently some phenomenal full scholarship offers, feel informed enough to be making subjective statements about schools that you haven't visited or attended.

Immature avatars and passive aggressive posts might work in the military but certainly don't work in professional legal environments. You will quickly find that you are never the smartest person in the room and that it takes hard work and affability to navigate the politics in a Big Law environment.

Why is "post" in "quotes?"

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:44 pm

I'm so glad raininthedesert is here to school us all in affability. It's extremely kind of him/her. :lol:

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:49 pm

BigZuck wrote:That specific "post" wasn't directed at you.

Why is "post" in "quotes?"
I was "wondering" that myself, "BigZuck."
raininthedesert wrote:

My subjective statements about Washington and Lee are entirely based on the fact that it's really expensive and doesn't provide a great chance at securing a legal job. That's it. I have no vendetta against the place. If it starts placing a high percentage of its graduates into decent jobs, I'll happily adjust my opinion accordingly. If you'd like to argue that W&L actually is a good investment for most people, go ahead. I'm prepared to change my mind if you do something besides go into hectoring dad mode and wax on about vitriol and black men yielding (wielding?) guns. Why do you have such a hard on for avatars and professional comportment on an internet message board? Are we failing in our obligations as Professional Internet Posters?

Thanks for the life lesson on hard work and affability in Big Law. For the record, I never even said I planned to enter Big Law. I only brought it up because the OP said that was her goal. For the record, I can virtually guarantee I've worked in environments that demand more hard work, interpersonal skills, and tact than your office.

Good luck in your quest to elevate the TLS discourse and stop all the immature tomfoolery. :roll:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Strongfaithgirl

New

Post by Strongfaithgirl » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:04 pm

geeez TLS Forums seem to be full of unhappy law grads that went to crappy school's, that now are unemployed or at crappy jobs. They all have no lives and a HUGE vandetta against law school and everyone else. I would ask what school's they went to but unfortunately I do not care enough. I thought I would get some sort of unbiased responses and a inkling of objectiveness but unfortunately that is not the case. This forum is a waste of time clearly, as some posters have nothing better to do but post inappropriate remarks and comments.

bananasplit19

Silver

Post by bananasplit19 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:09 pm

Strongfaithgirl wrote:...unbiased responses and a inkling of objectiveness...
I'm not sure the words "unbiased" and "objectiveness" mean what you think they mean.

californiauser

Silver

Post by californiauser » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:11 pm

Strongfaithgirl wrote:geeez TLS Forums seem to be full of unhappy law grads that went to crappy school's, that now are unemployed or at crappy jobs. They all have no lives and a HUGE vandetta against law school and everyone else. I would ask what school's they went to but unfortunately I do not care enough. I thought I would get some sort of unbiased responses and a inkling of objectiveness but unfortunately that is not the case. This forum is a waste of time clearly, as some posters have nothing better to do but post inappropriate remarks and comments.
*comes to toplawschools.com*

*gets mad when people won't espouse the idea of going to a school that gives its students a 50% (at best) chance of becoming a lawyer*

This is like going to a Ferarri forum and getting mad when people won't give you advice on which exhaust to put on your Honda Civic.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:18 pm

Strongfaithgirl wrote:geeez TLS Forums seem to be full of unhappy law grads that went to crappy school's, that now are unemployed or at crappy jobs. They all have no lives and a HUGE vandetta against law school and everyone else. I would ask what school's they went to but unfortunately I do not care enough. I thought I would get some sort of unbiased responses and a inkling of objectiveness but unfortunately that is not the case. This forum is a waste of time clearly, as some posters have nothing better to do but post inappropriate remarks and comments.
It's not even about the schools themselves. It's about the mismatch between the schools and your stated goals. You keep saying you want Big Law, and then asking about schools that give you a very low chance of getting a Big Law job. Why is this hard for you to understand?

If you said, "I want to work in a small firm or state/local government" then you'd get entirely different answers.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”