Prestige Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
yeslekkkk

Bronze

Prestige

Post by yeslekkkk » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:33 am

I'm sure this is an age old question... but how much does prestige really matter?

I was talking on the phone to my aunt and she was saying that her SO who is a lawyer always says, "Once you have that J.D. at the end of your name, it doesn't really matter where it's from. It's about experience." I saw some thoughts online about how grades are incredibly important. It's near impossible to predict how you'll perform in law school, so you can't bank of succeeding in the top of your law class. oh, and I'm not talking about a Tier 4 vs. T14. I mean like T100 schools. Is the prestige of the T14 truly worth it?

So for all you graduates out there or people who know law graduates, how important do you think the name of your school is?

What do you think is crucial when choosing a school (besides region outside of T14)? Prestige? Strength of specific programs that you're interested in? clinical experience?

rpupkin

Platinum

Re: Prestige

Post by rpupkin » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:50 am

Retake

sighsigh

Bronze

Post by sighsigh » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:52 am

rpupkin wrote:Retake
Objectively.

UnicornHunter

Diamond

Post by UnicornHunter » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:57 am

Prestige is only important if it leads to good employment. Placement, cost, and location should be the primary factors you look at when considering law school. In general, T14 placement is good enough to justify cost, but that will depend on one's specific goals, opportunity cost, and tolerance for risk.

http://www.lawschooltransparency.com/

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:10 am

UVA and NYU do not strike me as especially prestigious institutions (certainly not more than WUSTL, Notre Dame, Emory or Vanderbilt), but definitely have objectively better placement. That's the part that matters.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

patogordo

Gold

Post by patogordo » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:12 am

yeslekkkk wrote:I'm sure this is an age old question... but how much does prestige really matter?

I was talking on the phone to my aunt and she was saying that her SO who is a lawyer always says, "Once you have that J.D. at the end of your name, it doesn't really matter where it's from. It's about experience." I saw some thoughts online about how grades are incredibly important. It's near impossible to predict how you'll perform in law school, so you can't bank of succeeding in the top of your law class. oh, and I'm not talking about a Tier 4 vs. T14. I mean like T100 schools. Is the prestige of the T14 truly worth it?

So for all you graduates out there or people who know law graduates, how important do you think the name of your school is?

What do you think is crucial when choosing a school (besides region outside of T14)? Prestige? Strength of specific programs that you're interested in? clinical experience?
T14 is a myopic, intra-national metric. you need to be thinking about prestige worldwide.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:17 am

patogordo wrote:
yeslekkkk wrote:I'm sure this is an age old question... but how much does prestige really matter?

T14 is a myopic, intra-national metric. you need to be thinking about prestige worldwide.
This, of all posts, is what you registered for? This is post number one?

patogordo

Gold

Post by patogordo » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:53 am

Clearly wrote:
patogordo wrote:

clearly

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:08 am

patogordo wrote:
Clearly wrote:
patogordo wrote:

clearly
Well played, Welcome to TLS.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kemosabe

Bronze

Post by kemosabe » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:14 am

patogordo wrote:

TITCR. Boats and hoes, yo

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:50 am

Prestige matters in this way. Do top 20% at a tier 2 no one cares. Do top 1/2 at a top 14 everyone loves you.

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:03 am

yeslekkkk wrote: What do you think is crucial when choosing a school (besides region outside of T14)? Prestige?
Prestige of school might not matter very much 10 years out, but it's crucial for getting that first job. So yeah he's dead wrong.
yeslekkkk wrote: Strength of specific programs that you're interested in?
God no, except maybe in a very few circumstances (e.g., tax programs at like three schools).
yeslekkkk wrote: clinical experience?
Eh. Maybe if you're going for a job that super values that, like.... a small firm that will throw you in the deep end on day one, maybe? Not sure.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:24 am

"Prestige" of your degree doesn't matter much once you start practicing (though it does have some impact on lateraling). But it makes a whole heck of a difference when it comes to getting your first job, and the job statistics make that very clear. I'd trust the actual data rather than some aunt who is likely very out of touch with the current legal hiring market.

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:47 am

30 years out, it won't matter. If you graduate top of your class at yale, then spend the next few decades living in a cave, then no one will want to hire you. Likewise, if you're bottom of your class at Cooley, but through hard work and good fortune argued and won a case at the supreme court, everyone will want to hire you.

Thing is, which school you go to will affect the opportunities you get. At HYS, you're more likely to get hired by biglaw, which will give you a better chance of working on prestigious / high-profile cases, better networking opportunities, etc., while a graduate from a TTT will be struggling just to get a job, won't have much chances to build up a meaningful network, etc.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”