Widener vs Villanova vs Drexel vs Temple

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
aceholmes

Widener vs Villanova vs Drexel vs Temple

Postby aceholmes » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:53 am

From the Philadelphia area and pretty much interested in staying around the area. Accepted into Drexel and Villanova both offereing 30k a year (Drexel has a 2.95 stip) (Villanova a 2.0). I was also accepted into Widener, Delaware campus with a full scholarship that requires a 2.7. Still awaiting Temples decision (but for the conversation lets say hypothetically I was accepted with at least a 50% scholarship which would leave me with approximately the same amount owed for the other schools. Considering all of these options, any advice? I am leaning towards Widener at the moment to save about 30k over the three years.

edit: Widener removed stipulation and added additional stipend. In at temple with 12,500 a year (In-state tuition).
Last edited by aceholmes on Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rinkrat19

Re: Widener vs Villanova vs Drexel vs Temple

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:07 am

If you actually want to be gainfully employed as a lawyer, none of the above. Those schools give you maybe a 25-30% chance of any kind of decent lawyering job, and a good 30+% chance of ending up entirely unemployed. They're barely worth attending for free (and only then with no stips).

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:22 am

Widener and Drexel are downright awful, and I would not attend under any circumstances. Temple and Villanova with ties to the Philly area might be worth it for a full-ride with no stipulations. But even then, your odds of a decent legal job are likely well under 50% from those two schools.

Have you looked at employment data? The market is unbelievably oversaturated and those schools just don't have much to offer.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=widener
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=drexel
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=villanova
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=temple

You should retake the LSAT or reconsider your career options.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:25 am

Retake or don't go due to bad job prospects

phillywc

Postby phillywc » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:42 pm

Nova is defensible if you can live at home and have no COL. Its job placement actually isn't awful.

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:48 pm

phillywc wrote:Nova is defensible if you can live at home and have no COL. Its job placement actually isn't awful.

Agreed. Nova if anything. 90K is a solid amount and probably the minimum I'd want from a scholarship going to a school with 50/50 job prospects.

jchiles

Postby jchiles » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:49 pm

Unless something has changed since last year when I applied, the 2.0 for Nova is the same as "good academic standing" requirements at other schools (I think they said 90% or more of the class is above a 2.0 when I asked but you should find out on your own). The advice to retake is obviously the best option here but if not definitely choose Villanova over Widener; Widener may offer more money but I think it will be harder to keep it there because they have a lower median and it will be an even harder, if not impossible, task to get a reasonably well-paying job right out of school from there. But like I said, Villanova's stipulation is very reasonable, and I don't think its a bad option (though still not a really good option).

Also, I wouldn't bank on getting any money from Temple, anecdotally I know many people with similar stats to yours that were rejected or wait listed there.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:10 pm

If Nova is acceptable, then Temple is as well due to comparable placement. The above is credited about Temple being stingy with schollies, though.

Widener and Drexel should not be a consideration, even if they paid you to attend.

phillywc

Postby phillywc » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:16 pm

Danger Zone wrote:If Nova is acceptable, then Temple is as well due to comparable placement. The above is credited about Temple being stingy with schollies, though.

Widener and Drexel should not be a consideration, even if they paid you to attend.

I'd agree yeah. Nova and Temple are basically identical actually, their rankings once showed this but nova's dean messed up. Whoops.

arklaw13

Postby arklaw13 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:18 pm

We have a legal research prof who graduate from Temple, so that place must give people wonderful opportunities.

But seriously, don't go to any of those schools.

OutCold

Postby OutCold » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:01 pm

I would recommend Temple with a large scholarship. Temple has a strong hold on the local government positions in Philly. The DA's office is completely dominated by Temple grads. That being said, as the others have mentioned, most of the Temple 3Ls I have met do not have anything lined up yet. Definitely a big gamble. Of the four schools you listed, it is the least bad.

eastcoast_iub

Postby eastcoast_iub » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:57 pm

If you crush it at Widener, you can score a gig at one of the DE Big 4 - that is your ceiling. This definitely requires magna and, more often, summa.

Villanova and Temple have decent representation in their home market and you will be competitive for Philly firms if top 10% and probably slightly beyond.

Whether you want to take the leap of faith depends on what your goals are.

gatorgrowl

Postby gatorgrowl » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:13 pm

Why does Drexel get such a bad rap? I have hard good thing about the coop program?

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:23 pm

gatorgrowl wrote:Why does Drexel get such a bad rap? I have hard good thing about the coop program?

Because when the first thing that comes to find is something like a coop program, it usually means the school's employment rate sucks.

OutCold

Postby OutCold » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:53 pm

Drexel Law is only a few years old. They lack any alumni network. The reason Temple does so well at the DA's office is because the DA's office is filled with Temple grads.

Optimist Prime

Postby Optimist Prime » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:42 pm

Last edited by Optimist Prime on Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aceholmes

Postby aceholmes » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:03 pm

Sooooo what I'm understanding is that NO school in Philadelphia is worth attending except for UPenn? -_____-

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:29 pm

aceholmes wrote:Sooooo what I'm understanding is that NO school in Philadelphia is worth attending except for UPenn? -_____-

Yup.

There are not very many cities with two schools worth attending. NYC. Chicago. The Bay Area if you count it as one 'city.'. Boston if you stretch and include BC/BU with scholarships.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:02 pm

aceholmes wrote:Sooooo what I'm understanding is that NO school in Philadelphia is worth attending except for UPenn? -_____-

I wouldn't go that far. Nova and Temple for free are fine if you're from the area and don't have big law pipe dreams.

kaquino

Postby kaquino » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:47 pm

I'm from the Central PA area, and applied to all of these schools as well. I get where your reasoning is coming from- even though some of these schools do not carry any sticker weight, you will find connections to reputable jobs in the area through networking with the alums who chose to practice in the area.

I would say the biggest decision in our cases would be to study the employment stats for each school. Realistically, to a degree, all of these schools would provide you with a decent chance at any central PA-based jobs. If you're looking at Widener, I know lawyers who are employed and working successfully in the area (state, private firms) and a friend who is working for the D.A.

I attended the Drexel Open house, and I was surprised at how the student ambassadors were talking about their school- they were essentially alluding to the fact that Drexel wasn't considered a major powerhouse in the Philly area, but they're ok with it (wtf? don't these students get training at how to talk to these events?!) They would say things like "yea, Temple is the 'everyman's ivy law school' ::then the kid rolled his eyes::, but Drexel is building a stronger rep here!" ...uhm ok? Considering it was just founded back in '06, I can see how there would be a struggle for the school to get it's footing in the area in terms of networking, but I was still put off by the students' almost defeatists attitudes.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:57 pm

Defeatist? Or willing to tell the truth? Some honesty from law schools instead of the false bolstering bullshit they typically spew should be refreshing.

Stop encouraging bad behavior.

aceholmes

Postby aceholmes » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:59 pm

I feel as though the employment stats are similar enough that it's not worth the extra 10,000 per year I would spend at temple, Drexel, or Villanova. Plus they removed the scholarship stipulation and housing is covered as well.

PepperJack

Postby PepperJack » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:06 pm

UPenn really is the only worthwhile school. A good friend of mine goes there, is fluent in Arabic and was safely in the top quarter. He's got no job, and feels like a failure. His confidence was destroyed, and he feels like a failure. Under 10% got anything. You're basically going hoping to be valedictorian. The scholarship is nice, but Vegas gives you a 40% or so shot at winning. It'd be much better financially, and the more responsible decision would be to borrow money from the mafia and bet on black. I don't understand why you're so gung ho on law school, and not making the financially mature decision of betting on black.

aceholmes

Postby aceholmes » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:12 pm

I think I'll just go to school for free for the next three years AND take out 20,000 in loans and bet on black so I'm covered either way -____-

doing_it_in_a_car

Postby doing_it_in_a_car » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:36 pm

PepperJack wrote:UPenn really is the only worthwhile school. A good friend of mine goes there, is fluent in Arabic and was safely in the top quarter. He's got no job, and feels like a failure. His confidence was destroyed, and he feels like a failure. Under 10% got anything. You're basically going hoping to be valedictorian. The scholarship is nice, but Vegas gives you a 40% or so shot at winning. It'd be much better financially, and the more responsible decision would be to borrow money from the mafia and bet on black. I don't understand why you're so gung ho on law school, and not making the financially mature decision of betting on black.

Are you saying your friend was in the top quarter at UPenn and couldn't get a job?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”