How well does NYU place in CA?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Typhoon24

How well does NYU place in CA?

Postby Typhoon24 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:59 pm

This isn't directly a "decide for me" thread.

I am seeking information could lead to me making a decision in the near future. I looked at LST's employment by region info and saw that 10% of NYU graduates end up in CA, but I was more interested in how many people that wanted California big law actually got it. I'm originally from a backwater in FL, so I'm partial to both NYC and CA, but I feel that I would prefer living in CA after law school a bit more (weather, less crowded, and want to try the west coast.) With respect to region, I don't care which of the two I attend law school in; I liked both the SF Bay area and NYC when I visited. I'm looking for anecdotal information and maybe some data about NYU's Big Law placement in California (LA, SV, and SF in particular).

twenty

Re: How well does NYU place in CA?

Postby twenty » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:14 pm

Most grads going back to California have ties, I'd imagine. I'm sure there are exceptions to this, especially when you're considering how well NYU does with biglaw placement, but I would count on New York biglaw from NYU.

mr. wednesday

Postby mr. wednesday » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:15 pm

CA markets tend to be kind of insular. You might get SV if you have a background for tech start ups, and LA takes less ties than SD or SF. But generally, if you want to end up in CA you should spend time there before school or go to school there.

landpirate

Postby landpirate » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:03 pm

I am from the midwest and have some family connections to NYC but I wound up at a firm in CA via NYU. I have absolutely no connections to CA, I had been there once prior to my callback interview for 2L SA, and nobody I talked to cared at all. Anyone you interview with knows that CA is an awesome place to live and they don't really question why you would want to live there. Outside general 'I like outdoor activities' type statements I didn't have to try hard to convince anyone why I would want to end up in CA. It's not like it's North Dakota.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”