Thoughts on CUNY?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
theycallmefoes

Thoughts on CUNY?

Postby theycallmefoes » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:44 pm

I am planning on going into public interest law, so CUNY, as a public interest law school, is very appealing from that perspective. However, they're not considered a "prestigious" school (ranked 113, according to LSN). What would this mean in terms of future employment prospects? Are their graduates still considered competitive for public interest positions, due to the school's specialization? Or do they not stand a chance against graduates from more competitive/highly ranked schools?

Tiago Splitter

Re: Thoughts on CUNY?

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:23 pm

Despite claiming to have a reputation as a strong public interest school, CUNY only placed 27 out of 141 graduates of the class of 2012 into long term, full time public interest positions requiring a JD. Keep in mind that that long term is defined as one year or more, and many of these jobs are likely not of an indefinite duration. Also, 57 of the 141 grads ended up in either non-legal jobs, short term or part time jobs, unemployed, or a combination of the above. Given these numbers and the continuing glut of entry level attorneys being churned out by NYC area schools every year, I'd say CUNY graduates are generally not considered competitive for public interest positions.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school= ... s&show=ABA

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:25 pm

Like most law schools, CUNY graduates are likely not competitive for the more prestigious or well-known public interest places. It is, however, a LOT cheaper than the alternatives St. John's, NYLS, Touro, Pace, and Hofstra, with the only employment difference being that those schools tend to send at least a few people to biglaw each year.

If you have extensive public interest work experience in a specific field and plan to intern during the year (there are a ton of organizations in NYC) you may be able to snag one of the jobs.

However, if you just want a JD to take the bar and work for a small firm, and you have NY residency, I'd say CUNY is the best bet unless you can wrangle a large stip-free scholly to one of the above (and a full ride that is also stip-free is unlikely from them).
Last edited by timbs4339 on Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

westphillybandr

Postby westphillybandr » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:34 pm

timbs4339 wrote:Like most law schools, CUNY graduates...

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:38 pm

What kind of public interest and what are your other options?

guano

Postby guano » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:52 pm

lithe only thing CUNY has going for it is the price. Bid you can't get into a reputable school, but are still hellbent on being a lawyer, it's about 1/3 of the price of other schools.
It's fair value if you consider your employment chances are only 1/3 that of better schools, but an absolute steal compared to NYLS, Touro, etc

theycallmefoes

Postby theycallmefoes » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:51 am

worldtraveler wrote:What kind of public interest and what are your other options?

Social justice advocacy groups/non-profits. 167 LSAT and 3.8 GPA, so I do have other options. I was attracted to CUNY primarily due to their social justice message and, also, due to their NYC location. I'm looking at other NYC schools as well. NYU was my first choice, but it's a major, major reach for me, due to my LSAT score. Cardozo would be a pretty decent fit, but CUNY would be so much more affordable.

I'm not sure how much scholarship money CUNY gives to out-of-state residents, but I would think that my numbers make me pretty competitive for one. Speaking of scholarships, if anyone could tell me what my scholarship odds at Cardozo would be, I'd really appreciate it.

Nova

Postby Nova » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:00 am

tiltedwindmill

Postby tiltedwindmill » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:12 am

theycallmefoes wrote:
worldtraveler wrote:What kind of public interest and what are your other options?

Social justice advocacy groups/non-profits. 167 LSAT and 3.8 GPA, so I do have other options. I was attracted to CUNY primarily due to their social justice message and, also, due to their NYC location. I'm looking at other NYC schools as well. NYU was my first choice, but it's a major, major reach for me, due to my LSAT score. Cardozo would be a pretty decent fit, but CUNY would be so much more affordable.

I'm not sure how much scholarship money CUNY gives to out-of-state residents, but I would think that my numbers make me pretty competitive for one. Speaking of scholarships, if anyone could tell me what my scholarship odds at Cardozo would be, I'd really appreciate it.

Do not go to a school because of their message, it is by definition marketing.

Nova

Postby Nova » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:18 am

wasting your stats on a ny ttt would be pretty crazy

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:54 am

Retake. When you refuse to do that, go to Cornell.

NYU-14

Postby NYU-14 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:20 am

tiltedwindmill wrote:
theycallmefoes wrote:

Sometimes the message reflects the priorities. You have to judge that for yourself.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:00 am

You need to retake. 2 or 3 more LSAT points and you have scholarships at top schools and so much better options. You also need a school with an LRAP if this is really what you want.

guano

Postby guano » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:44 am

NYU-14 wrote:
tiltedwindmill wrote:
theycallmefoes wrote:

Sometimes the message reflects the priorities. You have to judge that for yourself.

Hello, don Quixote

theycallmefoes

Postby theycallmefoes » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:12 pm

worldtraveler wrote:You need to retake. 2 or 3 more LSAT points and you have scholarships at top schools and so much better options. You also need a school with an LRAP if this is really what you want.

I'm done retaking. I've already taken it 3 times and sat out last cycle. I should have destroyed my last LSAT - went in with 174 average on last 5 fresh PTs - and I don't know what happened, but I blew it. I've accepted that.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:16 pm

theycallmefoes wrote:
worldtraveler wrote:You need to retake. 2 or 3 more LSAT points and you have scholarships at top schools and so much better options. You also need a school with an LRAP if this is really what you want.

I'm done retaking. I've already taken it 3 times and sat out last cycle. I should have destroyed my last LSAT - went in with 174 average on last 5 fresh PTs - and I don't know what happened, but I blew it. I've accepted that.

Even with a 167, you should get an acceptance within the T14 and be able to take advantage of LRAP. I really can't stress how many more options you would have.

This is all assuming you are 100% sure you want a PI job and would be competitive to get one.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”