Law School Decision

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ndosberger

Law School Decision

Postby ndosberger » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:20 pm

With my GPA it does not look as if I will get into a T1 school. My best chances are T3-T4 schools, which I don't find a problem with. I have read a lot of posts/threads degrading these types of schools and people advising not to attend. I really want to go to law school and be an attorney as my career. Outside of the T1 schools, I really want to go to Baltimore LS, but if I don't get in there then I have to decide between the lower tier schools outside of the state in which I live in. What do you guys think?

brotherdarkness

Re: Law School Decision

Postby brotherdarkness » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:21 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

nothingtosee

Postby nothingtosee » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:29 pm

http://www.lawschooltransparency.com/

Play around on this site. You can see, for example, that only 53% of the graduates of Baltimore law school will ever be hired to be attorneys. For Maryland, the number is only 50%. http://www.lstscorereports.com/?r=md

There are great LSAT study resources on this site. No matter how low your GPA, if you really commit yourself to studying, and can score ~167+, you can find yourself receiving scholarship money from a regional school.

californiauser

Postby californiauser » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:33 pm

Tier 1, Tier 3, Tier 4, etc. are all meaningless. The rankings are irrelevant outside of the T13 schools. If you can't get into a national school (T13), then figure out which schools place well in the market you want to work in.

Also, you should tell us your scores, employment goals, monetary situation, ties, etc. so we can better help you.
Last edited by californiauser on Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ndosberger

Postby ndosberger » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:45 pm

A couple of my friends dads, which I have known my entire life, went to both U of Maryland Law and Baltimore Law and wrote Letters on my behalf. Mom went to Pittsburgh undergrad, Dad went to USC (southern california) undergrad. I went to a small public in-state school. I am applying almost everywhere on the east coast. I want to do something in the field of being a trial lawyer, litigation, or health law. I am retaking the LSAT this February because the first time I took it I received a 140, considerably lower than any of my practice tests where I was consistently getting between 150-155. Is there anyway to deal with anxiety for this test? I have a 2.5 GPA but that does not truly express the type of student I can be.

Typhoon24

Postby Typhoon24 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:55 pm

Uh oh... :(

Those numbers have crossed the rubicon.

nothingtosee

Postby nothingtosee » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:01 pm

ndosberger wrote:A couple of my friends dads, which I have known my entire life, went to both U of Maryland Law and Baltimore Law and wrote Letters on my behalf. I am applying almost everywhere on the east coast. I want to do something in the field of being a trial lawyer, litigation, or health law. I am retaking the LSAT this February because the first time I took it I received a 140, considerably lower than any of my practice tests where I was consistently getting between 150-155. Is there anyway to deal with anxiety for this test? I have a 2.5 GPA but that does not truly express the type of student I can be.

Jump in here! viewtopic.php?f=6&t=214583
You'll have a supportive community that's doing the same thing you're doing and will help you out.

Good luck!

(And if you want to prove a 2.5 GPA isn't representative of your academic abilities, you will need to score much higher than 150-155)

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:16 pm

ndosberger wrote:A couple of my friends dads, which I have known my entire life, went to both U of Maryland Law and Baltimore Law and wrote Letters on my behalf. Mom went to Pittsburgh undergrad, Dad went to USC (southern california) undergrad. I went to a small public in-state school. I am applying almost everywhere on the east coast. I want to do something in the field of being a trial lawyer, litigation, or health law. I am retaking the LSAT this February because the first time I took it I received a 140, considerably lower than any of my practice tests where I was consistently getting between 150-155. Is there anyway to deal with anxiety for this test? I have a 2.5 GPA but that does not truly express the type of student I can be.

The LSAT prep forum is where you need to be.

If you do not get a high enough score to get into a T3/T4 law school with a close to full scholarship, then go to a cheap instate option and drop out if you don't do well. This is going to sound bad, but eventually you need to take the hint that another career might be a better option.

rufus&miles

Postby rufus&miles » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:26 pm

please please please do not think a sub 3.0 a GPA will kill you. Get the LSAT (high 160's to 170's) and you can have have a decent option. But if that sub 3.0 is with a low LSAT it's probably for the best it you think what else you might want to do. Law school is hard and if you have a low GPA and have a low LSAT you might not have what it requires to be a lawyer, like putting in 70 hours a week.

Nova

Postby Nova » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:35 pm

don't take feb

youre not scoring high enough yet

PepperJack

Postby PepperJack » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:41 pm

From this it seems you really need to improve your understanding of language and logic patterns before thinking to apply.

If the logic is "some of my friends dads, which went there wrote letters" and the grammar is "friends dads, which went there" you need to ask if you can get a high LSAT score and if a profession where words are life changing for clients is the right fit.

PepperJack

Postby PepperJack » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:43 pm

nothingtosee wrote:
ndosberger wrote:A couple of my friends dads, which I have known my entire life, went to both U of Maryland Law and Baltimore Law and wrote Letters on my behalf. I am applying almost everywhere on the east coast. I want to do something in the field of being a trial lawyer, litigation, or health law. I am retaking the LSAT this February because the first time I took it I received a 140, considerably lower than any of my practice tests where I was consistently getting between 150-155. Is there anyway to deal with anxiety for this test? I have a 2.5 GPA but that does not truly express the type of student I can be.

Jump in here! http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 6&t=214583
You'll have a supportive community that's doing the same thing you're doing and will help you out.

Good luck!

(And if you want to prove a 2.5 GPA isn't representative of your academic abilities, you will need to score much higher than 150-155)

Well, 2.5 is likely way below median at OP's college and a 151-155 is the national average so it shows s/he can be average.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”