I don't know what to do

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Penn State Vs. South Carolina

Poll ended at Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:21 pm

Penn State - Full tuition scholarship
50%
South Carolina - paying 20k and where I really want to go
50%

Total votes: 16

Lwoods1020

Re: I don't know what to do

Postby Lwoods1020 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:57 am

timbs4339 wrote:
Lwoods1020 wrote:Idk. They're not letting me have it now, after 4 years of going to school there.
They would have 0 out of state kids if you could do it living in an apartment.

And I wasn't saying I am not going to even try to get more money, I just think the chances aren't great to get them to even come close to penn state. I'd be thrilled with 5 more grand a year.

That's because those kids don't think they can negotiate. This is your home state and where you want to begin your career. If they don't give you a better deal than Penn State then walk away, live there for a year, retake, and reapply. You're 23 not 33.

I'm confused. You live in SC now and have lived there for more than a year, correct? It sounds like they are giving you a scholarship off an OOS tuition rate you shouldn't be paying.

Nooo I dont live there haha . I did for undergrad
and my scholarship is out of state

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:57 am

Lwoods1020 wrote:Idk. They're not letting me have it now, after 4 years of going to school there.

Most schools don't have any kind of ownership requirement; the requirement is just that you come to the state for some reason other than attending school. That way, students who live in an apartment during school wouldn't count as residents if they didn't have any other ties and lived there just for school. But you don't have to buy a house if you've already lived there and established residency that way. So, basically, their requirement is really stringent and weird.

Lwoods1020

Postby Lwoods1020 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:59 am

TheSpanishMain wrote:Put it this way: if you go to Penn State, you will NOT get back to South Carolina. You will be geographically limited to PA. If what you want is to practice law in South Carolina, you need to figure out a way to make USC economically feasible. Negotiate. Go talk to the Bursar and figure out wtf is up with residency. Take a year off if necessary.

A year is nothing if it helps set you up for a multi-decade career in the region you want.

I know, that's what sucks about SC. A degree from a good school up north doesn't mean much.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:00 am

Lwoods1020 wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:

And I wasn't saying I am not going to even try to get more money, I just think the chances aren't great to get them to even come close to penn state. I'd be thrilled with 5 more grand a year.

That's because those kids don't think they can negotiate. This is your home state and where you want to begin your career. If they don't give you a better deal than Penn State then walk away, live there for a year, retake, and reapply. You're 23 not 33.

I'm confused. You live in SC now and have lived there for more than a year, correct? It sounds like they are giving you a scholarship off an OOS tuition rate you shouldn't be paying.

Nooo I dont live there haha . I did for undergrad
and my scholarship is out of state

So move there, get a job, and apply in a year. Why do you want to be back in school so badly you'll pay tens of thousands a year in unnecessary loan money for the privilege?

Lwoods1020

Postby Lwoods1020 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:01 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:

Most schools don't have any kind of ownership requirement; the requirement is just that you come to the state for some reason other than attending school. That way, students who live in an apartment during school wouldn't count as residents if they didn't have any other ties and lived there just for school. But you don't have to buy a house if you've already lived there and established residency that way. So, basically, their requirement is really stringent and weird.

I didn't work during undergrad. The in state residency boat has sailed. My 24k scholly offer is OOS, and the letter clearly stipulates that I will lose it if I am no longer OOS.

This thread's original intent has meandered.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:10 am

To be fair, plenty of people have been addressing your original question, in that suggesting waiting a cycle or two and getting in-state residency would make the most financial sense. The problem is that this doesn't sound feasible with the home ownership requirement, but it's a weird enough requirement that people are confused by it.

Basically, you need to try to negotiate with SC to see if they'll come down at all, and then you need to decide how much law school is worth to you. There's no point in going to Penn State if you want to work in SC. Some will say that paying that amount of money for SC isn't worth the likely return, but that's a decision you have to make for yourself.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:13 am

Lwoods1020 wrote:

No one can really answer this question for you because it depends on your priorities. Is it more important for you to begin law school immediately (in which case you should go to Penn State, and just accept the fact that you're going to live and work in PA) or is it more important for you to practice law in South Carolina, in which case you should negotiate and be prepared to take a year off if necessary to make USC affordable.

Lwoods1020

Postby Lwoods1020 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:17 am

TheSpanishMain wrote:
Lwoods1020 wrote:

No one can really answer this question for you because it depends on your priorities. Is it more important for you to begin law school immediately (in which case you should go to Penn State, and just accept the fact that you're going to live and work in PA) or is it more important for you to practice law in South Carolina, in which case you should negotiate and be prepared to take a year off if necessary to make USC affordable.

I really appreciate all of you taking the time to help me. I will consider your insight but I am beyond the possibility of instate and I am not taking another year off. Thank you all again, I am calling Dean of Admissions on my lunch break today. I can't let living in SC go

Lwoods1020

Postby Lwoods1020 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:14 pm

I called Dean of Admissions just now, he said in the last two years, no student has been able to allocate more funds (quoted directly). He did say that if I retook the LSAT this february and were to go up 3 points, they would reconsider me for scholarships.

I have not even looked at LSAT material in three months. Can I regain what I lost and how? (Besides obviously not leaving my house for a month and studying)

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:17 pm

Wait he seriously said that in the last two years they haven't increased anyone's scholarship after the initial offer, and then said that if you improve your LSAT score you'd stand a good chance for an increased scholarship?

Lwoods1020

Postby Lwoods1020 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:18 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:Wait he seriously said that in the last two years they haven't increased anyone's scholarship after the initial offer, and then said that if you improve your LSAT score you'd stand a good chance for an increased scholarship?

yup.

Gooner91

Postby Gooner91 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:28 pm

Lwoods1020 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

I didn't work during undergrad. The in state residency boat has sailed. My 24k scholly offer is OOS, and the letter clearly stipulates that I will lose it if I am no longer OOS.

This seems like a kind of funky stipulation, is this fairly common?

Gooner91

Postby Gooner91 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:28 pm

Lwoods1020 wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:Wait he seriously said that in the last two years they haven't increased anyone's scholarship after the initial offer, and then said that if you improve your LSAT score you'd stand a good chance for an increased scholarship?

yup.

But nobody has bothered to do that in the last two years? Or is it a new policy?

Lwoods1020

Postby Lwoods1020 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:30 pm

Gooner91 wrote:
Lwoods1020 wrote:

yup.

But nobody has bothered to do that in the last two years? Or is it a new policy?

He said the enrollment was larger than expected.
It makes me wary to take the LSAT again but then I may regret what could have been if I don't, as cheesy as that sounds.

Winston1984

Postby Winston1984 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:31 pm

Who does South Carolina think they are? I still think that initial offer is low considering OP's numbers relative to their medians/75ths.

Lwoods1020

Postby Lwoods1020 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:32 pm

Winston1984 wrote:Who does South Carolina think they are? I still think that initial offer is low considering OP's numbers relative to their medians/75ths.

rightttt I'm past/at their 75th!

Winston1984

Postby Winston1984 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:37 pm

Lwoods1020 wrote:
Winston1984 wrote:Who does South Carolina think they are? I still think that initial offer is low considering OP's numbers relative to their medians/75ths.

I just looked at their ABA report and they just don't offer much money. Only 2 or 3 students got full rides, which seems pretty low. I would still try to negotiate even if you were told it wouldn't do anything. If you are dead set on going this year, at least take the LSAT one more time. Maybe even take in June and if you have a big increase then you could sit out this cycle. June should give you enough time to hit 162+

PepperJack

Postby PepperJack » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:39 pm

I'm not sure Penn State gets PA. You almost def won't touch Philadelphia, and Pittsburgh is more saturated than you think. You'd need law review grade on to have a chance at K and L Gates and the like.

Lwoods1020

Postby Lwoods1020 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:40 pm

Winston1984 wrote:
Lwoods1020 wrote:

I just looked at their ABA report and they just don't offer much money. Only 2 or 3 students got full rides, which seems pretty low. I would still try to negotiate even if you were told it wouldn't do anything. If you are dead set on going this year, at least take the LSAT one more time. Maybe even take in June and if you have a big increase then you could sit out this cycle. June should give you enough time to hit 162+

He said I could take feb. Just how can I study after 3 months of not? I am not sitting out this cycle... and thank you for looking that up for me. That's only 1% of the class. He said my package of 24k was one of the larger ones out of 44k.. which I don't like.

Winston1984

Postby Winston1984 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:44 pm

I'm in a similar boat. Took the October exam and just started studying for a Feb retake for more $$$. I just got the Trainer, and I absolutely love it. Of course studying for 4-6 weeks before isn't ideal, but you would be surprised how quickly it comes back to you. After a week of studying, I feel like I am back to a similar state that I was in before the October exam. Definitely worth a shot. Good luck OP!

Lwoods1020

Postby Lwoods1020 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:55 pm

Winston1984 wrote:I'm in a similar boat. Took the October exam and just started studying for a Feb retake for more $$$. I just got the Trainer, and I absolutely love it. Of course studying for 4-6 weeks before isn't ideal, but you would be surprised how quickly it comes back to you. After a week of studying, I feel like I am back to a similar state that I was in before the October exam. Definitely worth a shot. Good luck OP!

thank youuu I am breathing a little bit better now.
What is the trainer? I did alot of powerscore.

What school is low balling you?

Gooner91

Postby Gooner91 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:57 pm

Do you have a plan OP? You are very young and dead set on going to law school now. You are going to take out $140,000 worth of loans and may not be able to find a job. I know that probably sounds like Monopoly money to you but you need to think about that; $140,000 is not pocket change for most people.
I think you need to consider sitting out a cycle and getting some perspective if you cannot get a boost in your scholarship offer. You are not in a terrible spot you have a decent GPA and a decent LSAT with a few more points. I do not know much about your softs but you may be able to out perform your numbers a little bit if they are as good as you claim, which I have no idea if that is the case.

Lwoods1020

Postby Lwoods1020 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:01 pm

Gooner91 wrote:Do you have a plan OP? You are very young and dead set on going to law school now. You are going to take out $140,000 worth of loans and may not be able to find a job. I know that probably sounds like Monopoly money to you but you need to think about that; $140,000 is not pocket change for most people.
I think you need to consider sitting out a cycle and getting some perspective if you cannot get a boost in your scholarship offer. You are not in a terrible spot you have a decent GPA and a decent LSAT with a few more points. I do not know much about your softs but you may be able to out perform your numbers a little bit if they are as good as you claim, which I have no idea if that is the case.

I calculated it and I'd be taking out around 95k ish. SC's employments numbers aren't that bad.... I am not sitting out. I've worked too hard and spent too much money already applying to sit out now. It would just depress me.

Lwoods1020

Postby Lwoods1020 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:01 pm

Gooner91 wrote:Do you have a plan OP? You are very young and dead set on going to law school now. You are going to take out $140,000 worth of loans and may not be able to find a job. I know that probably sounds like Monopoly money to you but you need to think about that; $140,000 is not pocket change for most people.

If I don't get at least 8 k more out of SC a year, then I am going to Penn State fo free.

Winston1984

Postby Winston1984 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:02 pm

Lwoods1020 wrote:
Winston1984 wrote:I'm in a similar boat. Took the October exam and just started studying for a Feb retake for more $$$. I just got the Trainer, and I absolutely love it. Of course studying for 4-6 weeks before isn't ideal, but you would be surprised how quickly it comes back to you. After a week of studying, I feel like I am back to a similar state that I was in before the October exam. Definitely worth a shot. Good luck OP!

thank youuu I am breathing a little bit better now.
What is the trainer? I did alot of powerscore.

What school is low balling you?

PM'd

Return to “Choosing a Law School”