What are the most/least competitive T14 and why? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
californiauser

Silver

Re: What are the most/least competitive T14 and why?

Post by californiauser » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:36 pm

kapital98 wrote:
californiauser wrote: I don't get it. Why are TTT students so gung-ho about studying in law school when they could have put that same effort into studying the LSAT and gone to a better school?
Believe it or not, some people can't get 170+ on the LSAT (that's why only ~2% of people do). Even if they could, they're not going to take the LSAT 3+ times to get a coveted 170. There is a considerable degree of uncertainty to bank on your time spent studying translating into a 170+.

This is on par with: "I don't understand why people don't just get a 3.9 GPA and go to a T14?"

(I don't usually hang around these threads. Forgive me if I just baited a troll. I'm taking it you're serious?)
You don't need a 170 to get into a T14, URM or not. Pretty ridiculous to suggest that if you don't get a 170 you can't get into a T14 -- plus, it isn't TTT or T14. A lot of the schools on the list I quoted are legit TTTT.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:49 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:
Gooner91 wrote:A bit off topic but...
Why does Mich. use an E instead of F?
Michigan (the state, not just the school) was one of the first to start using "E" instead of "F", fifty years ago or so. A lot of American secondary schools use "E" now.

The real question is why 'E' was skipped in the first place in favor of "F". I think some primary schools still used the "ESNU" scale (Excellent, Satisfactory, Needs Improvement and Unsatisfactory), and didn't want the confusion of having the same letter denote both top grades and failing grades, depending on which school was doing the grading.
Maybe this is common knowledge and I guess I could have googled it but I never knew why they skipped E and this sounds like a good explanation. Thanks bro, that's interesting.

Gooner91

Silver

Post by Gooner91 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:59 pm

BigZuck wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:
Gooner91 wrote:A bit off topic but...
Why does Mich. use an E instead of F?
Michigan (the state, not just the school) was one of the first to start using "E" instead of "F", fifty years ago or so. A lot of American secondary schools use "E" now.

The real question is why 'E' was skipped in the first place in favor of "F". I think some primary schools still used the "ESNU" scale (Excellent, Satisfactory, Needs Improvement and Unsatisfactory), and didn't want the confusion of having the same letter denote both top grades and failing grades, depending on which school was doing the grading.
Maybe this is common knowledge and I guess I could have googled it but I never knew why they skipped E and this sounds like a good explanation. Thanks bro, that's interesting.
That is interesting, thanks for answering my question.

ZVBXRPL

Silver

Post by ZVBXRPL » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:07 pm

kapital98 wrote: That's true. I just think a lot of people with high LSAT scores kind of look down on people with low LSAT scores. They think that everyone can do it (which is kind of true, with a *ton* of effort and some good luck).

I did a retake and went from T2 material to T1 material. However, anything short of 170 and I wasn't getting into a T14. There was no way I was going to go through the mental anguish of taking the LSAT a third time. In the end, I was fortunate to be near the top of my class and transfer into the T14 (one of the lucky ones, wouldn't recommend it).

Whatever. This has been debated endlessly before. I'm out.
True say. It's easier to do well on the LSAT than make top 5% of your ls class. Moreover, successfully transferring...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”