What are the most/least competitive T14 and why? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ZVBXRPL

Silver

What are the most/least competitive T14 and why?

Post by ZVBXRPL » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:45 pm

How competitive are T14 students in class, out of class (studying, notes, professor relations), and socially?

Pancakes12

Bronze

Re: What are the most/least competitive T14 and why?

Post by Pancakes12 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:02 pm

I'm a 0L, but I would guess yale, Stanford are the least competitive due to their relaxed grading scales. I'd guess Cornell and Chicago are most. I've heard the students there do the most studying. But it would be interesting to hear from someone who has attended a T14.

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:12 pm

They are all the same. Why would there be a meaningful difference between schools that all teach the same material in the same way attended by mostly the same kind of people? There's nothing to be gained by being a dick to people you have to spend three years with.

phillywc

Gold

Post by phillywc » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:16 pm

No one has been to all 14 schools. No one, I imagine, has been to more than 2. No real way to compare.

ZVBXRPL

Silver

Post by ZVBXRPL » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:22 pm

phillywc wrote:No one has been to all 14 schools. No one, I imagine, has been to more than 2. No real way to compare.
Obviously. But people may have visited. Have you ever heard of comparing based on what you've heard from others? Kind of like Consumer Reports bubba.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:38 pm

Competitiveness of T14s don't matter for the reason Nelson said. Go to the best t14 for your career (meaning best job prospects for you in the area you want to work balanced with concerns over cost).

After you have decided what that school is, don't then discount it and choose a different, less fitting school because of some preconceived notion you have about how competitive that most fitting school is.

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:43 pm

"Competitive" is a huge misnomer. Seriously, how is a law student going to compete with you? Hide stuff in the library that is easily available online? Refuse to give you notes for the class you missed when you can get an entire outline from the student group you're part of? "Study harder?"

I enjoy watching the NU TLSers. They exude a very entertaining combination of laid-back trollishness, hyper-sensitivity, and fatalistic sarcasm -- often all at the same time. That said, I wouldn't assume NU itself exhibits any of these personalities on an overarching basis.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:52 pm

Yeah, I think when people say "competitiveness" they really mean "assholishness." It just seems like a silly thing to worry about. Whereever you go, there will be people you like and people you don't like. Just find a solid group of friends and you're good.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:56 pm

i heard GULC is like a vicious fight to the death as its 6000 students try to devour the couple of thousand meals thrown into their lion's den.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:43 pm

Pancakes12 wrote:I'm a 0L, but I would guess yale, Stanford are the least competitive due to their relaxed grading scales. I'd guess Cornell and Chicago are most. I've heard the students there do the most studying. But it would be interesting to hear from someone who has attended a T14.
Cornell 1L here. No idea how we compare to anyone else because I've only attended one school.

Maybe we do study a little more during the semester because of the 4 substantive classes + graded LRW. Maybe. But I'm not really sure if that makes us "competitive" even if we do. Whenever someone asks me if it's competitive, I just shrug and say "We work hard, but it's not cutthroat or anything. We get along really well."

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:55 pm

This is more a personality issue.. There are some shit people at every T14, after all, these people want to become lawyers. There's no useful broad strokes label for any particular set of schools.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:45 pm

Can't speak for other schools, but Columbia students are notorious for ripping pages out of books in the library so they can't be accessed by anyone else. Killed me on my tax final.

brotherdarkness

Gold

Post by brotherdarkness » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:54 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:55 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:Can't speak for other schools, but Columbia students are notorious for ripping pages out of books in the library so they can't be accessed by anyone else. Killed me on my tax final.
That actually happened? I thought that was a myth.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:57 pm

How's Penn?

nickb285

Silver

Post by nickb285 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:00 pm

Last edited by nickb285 on Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ZVBXRPL

Silver

Post by ZVBXRPL » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:01 pm

BigZuck wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:Can't speak for other schools, but Columbia students are notorious for ripping pages out of books in the library so they can't be accessed by anyone else. Killed me on my tax final.
In The Paper Chase(HLS), someone hid a bunch of books pertinent for exams.
Last edited by ZVBXRPL on Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

brotherdarkness

Gold

Post by brotherdarkness » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:02 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

ZVBXRPL

Silver

Post by ZVBXRPL » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:04 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:
ZVBXRPL wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
In the Paper Chase, someone hid a bunch of pertinent books during exam time.
We're talking about real life here.
I'm sure it's happened though.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:05 pm

ZVBXRPL wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
I'm pretty sure that wasn't a documentary. Maybe it was based on a true story or something though, I'm not going to look it up.

Like brotherdarkness said, I'm more interested in what's happening at real life schools in 2014.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:08 pm

Just so we're clear I was kidding. Tearing pages out of books not only makes you weird, it's also completely pointless cuz internet and, well, OTHER COPIES OF THE SAME BOOK.

If anything CLS is probably one of the more laid back schools because first semester we only have 3 graded classes and P/F legal writing. But even if we had six classes there just isn't really any way to sabotage other people. [sarcasm] Trust me, as a typical ultracompetitive CLS student I have tried everything. [/sarcasm]

Also, my apologies to Zuck if I was supposed to continue with the troll bit a little longer.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:12 pm

Based on the 1L thread it seems like based on quantity of work we actually had it easy fall quarter. I mean we read like 10 pages per class typically. Ofc, that is fall quarter, but I don't think the amount of reading increases, just the amount of exams (and therefore outlining) + more LRW shit w/ the graded open memo and brief.

Gooner91

Silver

Post by Gooner91 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:28 pm

ZVBXRPL wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
I saw that during the scavenger hunt. Bell had to dress up as a doctor and a friar in order to get into the other libraries.

That's pretty gunnerish.

Krahn86

New

Post by Krahn86 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:02 pm

stillwater wrote:i heard GULC is like a vicious fight to the death as its 6000 students try to devour the couple of thousand meals thrown into their lion's den.
I had to look...total student body looks to be just under 2,000...so a "couple thousand meals" should be plenty.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:07 pm

Krahn86 wrote:
stillwater wrote:i heard GULC is like a vicious fight to the death as its 6000 students try to devour the couple of thousand meals thrown into their lion's den.
I had to look...total student body looks to be just under 2,000...so a "couple thousand meals" should be plenty.
Nailed him!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”