Texas Tech vs. Baylor

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
chem!

Re: Texas Tech vs. Baylor

Postby chem! » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:53 pm

BigZuck wrote:I thought this flame had a lot of potential at first and could possibly funny but now I'm officially voting weak sauce. I personally would give it up, regroup, and come back with a better schtick/material. There are quite a few good trolls around this site, if you really refocus your efforts I think you can make much greater leaps in your trolldom than you even thought possible.

But you've successfully insulted an associate in Big Law!

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:12 pm

chem! wrote:
BigZuck wrote:I thought this flame had a lot of potential at first and could possibly funny but now I'm officially voting weak sauce. I personally would give it up, regroup, and come back with a better schtick/material. There are quite a few good trolls around this site, if you really refocus your efforts I think you can make much greater leaps in your trolldom than you even thought possible.

Psssshh, he's not even the first one I have insulted today.

Apparently not all Aggies appreciate "Aggies are stupid" jokes. My B, Mr. Big Law Partner.

chem!

Postby chem! » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:18 pm

BigZuck wrote:
chem! wrote:

Psssshh, he's not even the first one I have insulted today.

Apparently not all Aggies appreciate "Aggies are stupid" jokes. My B, Mr. Big Law Partner.

Whoop(s).

leib10

Postby leib10 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:44 pm

raininthedesert wrote:"leib10" - It sounds like you arrived at a well-informed decision. You will undoubtedly be successful in your career endeavors.

The admissions director at Texas Tech has been incredibly generous with his time on this site and is obviously an incredibly bright, dedicated, and tactful professional who believes in his work and his law school. If he is any indication of what the administration and faculty are like at Texas Tech...you are in good hands.

Which is a case in point as to why individuals should think twice before letting the emotional interfere with the rational. Immature and inappropriate vitriol, when directed at a school, impacts the many wonderful people that work at and believe in these institutions.

Thank you. It was not my intention to create a forum for a flame war, but I do thank you all for your input on this matter.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:12 pm

raininthedesert wrote:It's a much smaller world then you might realize and you've successfully insulted an associate in Big Law. Congratulations!

What a clown. There are many associates in Big Law on this forum. Big Law associate =/= the Godfather. No one is scared.

Besides, what are you going to do? Ask everyone you interview "Are you the one known as..." (eyes narrow) "BigZuck?! Have you insulted my august majesty on an internet forum?!"

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:08 pm

For whatever it's worth:

1) I didn't even apply to Baylor because why would I? Subjective criteria have to come into play at some point. Even just looking at the Baylor Memo to students tells you how miserable it will be, with their giant list of required classes.

2) As for my grades, it's telling that that's how you choose to judge someone. But while I wasn't at the top of my class, I graduated with honors.

3) I work in Biglaw too. So I guess that answers "job placement" questions.

Forgive for trying to dissuade 0L's from the notion that Baylor's "rigorous curriculum" will somehow benefit them or give them some type of advantage.

leib10

Postby leib10 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:45 am

Yep, it can be difficult to see what's actually substantive and what's just a load of bullshit when it comes to sales pitches from law schools. It's pretty obvious that Open Houses are the latter- they tell you all the great stuff, dredge up some students who will toe the party line, and make it seem like all your wildest dreams and expectations will come true if you attend. That's certainly the impression Baylor seemed to give me. I'm beginning to see that it's a lot about what you put into your schooling (regardless of where you go), who you know and whether the stars happen to align (like many other things in life).

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:24 am

Here to back Big Zuck and kalvano 100%. Both parents went to Baylor, as did my wife.

Lean on Tech, get them to up your scholly and remove the stips, and then go there. Baylor's a shithole, for all the reasons cogently outlined in the other "baylor sucks" thread. It hasn't changed.

An aside: Baylor is not "well placed" to get firms to interview there. It's actually as poorly placed as you could possible get, because it has no home market to send its grads other than East Texas. Going there will not position you for biglaw in Dallas, Houston and Austin because of its location.

leib10

Postby leib10 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:47 pm

Could the same be said about Tech being in Lubbock?

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:02 pm

leib10 wrote:Could the same be said about Tech being in Lubbock?

Sure. But Tech doesn't pretend to send people to those markets as some sort of incredibly misguided and underhanded recruiting tactic; and Tech doesn't cost upwards of $70k per year, so you don't 'need' biglaw to service your student loan debt like you do at baylor.

ETA: besides, do you already have a job lined up anyway? why would you care about this?

texas man

Postby texas man » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:10 pm

Somewhat, but based just on each city's location and size, the reach (and competition for grads in the job search) is a little different. West Texas is a large area, and, not including Lubbock, Tech is a feeder to Amarillo, Midland/Odessa, Abilene, San Angelo, and even El Paso and some Eastern New Mexico cities to some extent. Granted, these legal markets are nothing like Dallas, Houston, or Austin, but many Tech grads fill the positions in these smaller West Texas markets. Notwithstanding the above, Dallas/Ft. Worth is consistently the top destination for Tech grads (and in Dallas County, Tech grads and Baylor grads are represented almost equally). So, in terms of a "home market," while Tech has Lubbock (which is almost double the size of Waco) and the large West Texas swath, Baylor has Waco and perhaps east Texas.

Another factor is Waco's close proximity between Austin and Dallas. Due to this proximity, a larger percentage of Baylor grads are likely getting out of Waco and competing in Austin, Dallas, and even Houston against those cities' home schools (UT, SMU, UH); this is also driven by Baylor grads' need to service larger debt (pointed out by patrickd139). Competing in these large, "non-home markets," which is the destination for a larger percentage of Baylor grads (compared with Tech grads), the results are similar for Tech and Baylor grads (even in Travis county, Tech grads and Baylor grads are represented almost equally).

There is some truth to the comparison, but I think Baylor's location in the state puts it at a disadvantage in terms of its "home market."

Also, I'm not familiar with the firms that interview at Baylor, so this isn't a comment on that aspect of the difference.

(This is all aside from the other points mentioned (price, school atmosphere, etc.) in this and other threads.)

leib10

Postby leib10 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:27 pm

I do, but I would also like to be prepared in case circumstances change.

leib10

Postby leib10 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:53 pm

texas man wrote:

Somewhat, but based just on each city's location and size, the reach (and competition for grads in the job search) is a little different. West Texas is a large area, and, not including Lubbock, Tech is a feeder to Amarillo, Midland/Odessa, Abilene, San Angelo, and even El Paso and some Eastern New Mexico cities to some extent. Granted, these legal markets are nothing like Dallas, Houston, or Austin, but many Tech grads fill the positions in these smaller West Texas markets. Notwithstanding the above, Dallas/Ft. Worth is consistently the top destination for Tech grads (and in Dallas County, Tech grads and Baylor grads are represented almost equally). So, in terms of a "home market," while Tech has Lubbock (which is almost double the size of Waco) and the large West Texas swath, Baylor has Waco and perhaps east Texas.

Another factor is Waco's close proximity between Austin and Dallas. Due to this proximity, a larger percentage of Baylor grads are likely getting out of Waco and competing in Austin, Dallas, and even Houston against those cities' home schools (UT, SMU, UH); this is also driven by Baylor grads' need to service larger debt (pointed out by patrickd139). Competing in these large, "non-home markets," which is the destination for a larger percentage of Baylor grads (compared with Tech grads), the results are similar for Tech and Baylor grads (even in Travis county, Tech grads and Baylor grads are represented almost equally).

There is some truth to the comparison, but I think Baylor's location in the state puts it at a disadvantage in terms of its "home market."

Also, I'm not familiar with the firms that interview at Baylor, so this isn't a comment on that aspect of the difference.

(This is all aside from the other points mentioned (price, school atmosphere, etc.) in this and other threads.)

Thanks for the response. I hadn't really considered that Austin, Houston, and Dallas have their own regarded schools that feed into them, and Baylor graduates would have to compete to enter that market as much as Tech graduates.

cron1834

Postby cron1834 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:12 pm

^ How on Earth did you not consider that, after 3 pages of this?

leib10

Postby leib10 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:23 pm

Where was it specifically stated? I'm trying to make as few assumptions as I can, given that my expertise on the matter is limited.

cron1834

Postby cron1834 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:58 pm

You needed someone to tell you that Austin has a well-regarded law school that places JDs nearby? Or that SMU is in Dallas? Are you trolling here?

leib10

Postby leib10 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:35 pm

No, why would I do that? I have a lot of better things to do than try to ask dumb questions to get a rise out of people.

cron1834

Postby cron1834 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:12 am

That's a good thing!

Though I am still taken aback here.

leib10

Postby leib10 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:09 pm

Just as an update, had a talk with the wife and we agreed that Tech is the better choice. I withdrew all my applications, so it looks like I'm going to be a Red Raider again! Thanks for all of the advice!

Nova

Postby Nova » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:13 pm

good luck bro

Legacy Rabbit

Postby Legacy Rabbit » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:24 pm

leib10 wrote:Just as an update, had a talk with the wife and we agreed that Tech is the better choice. I withdrew all my applications, so it looks like I'm going to be a Red Raider again! Thanks for all of the advice!

This was a great post to read. Right before I moved to the last page, I was just thinking that the OP is somebody's hubby. Why would he do something so mean and take her to Wacko Waco. Never mind the extra $100k in debt for Waco :(

Waco is the after thought when / if you and the wife drive down I-35 to visit Austin.

You know, unequivocally, you made the right decision.

leib10

Postby leib10 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:42 pm

Yep, it sure is a pleasant feeling, knowing that the right decision was made. There were simply too many factors that pointed in Tech's direction for me to ignore.

downinDtown

Postby downinDtown » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:21 pm

leib10 wrote:Got into Tech with $7000/year scholarship, accepted at Baylor with no scholarship. I've been informed by several partners in large firms that the graduates they hire from both schools are of similar quality, and I've heard that the quality of education is pretty similar between the two. Baylor is ranked higher (not that that really means all that much in the end), but Tech is much, much cheaper (not counting the scholarship; yearly tuition should be around $15,000 per year vs. $45,000 for Baylor). Lubbock and Waco are both something of medical hubs, so that could help my wife (who is an occupational therapist) get a job more easily. I did my undergrad at Texas Tech, so Lubbock is pretty familiar to me. I also have family and friends in Lubbock, and I know a few 2Ls there who can help me get good internships. Both are known for producing quality practicing attorneys. Bar pass rates are similar, although Tech's slumped a bit in July 2013. Employment prospects are similar too. Tech has more available specializations than Baylor. Baylor is on a quarter system and requires 126 hours for graduation, vs. Tech at 90 hours.

Knowing all this, which would you choose?

For those considering Baylor, consider this first: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=224879

Return to “Choosing a Law School”