Texas Tech vs. Baylor Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
BigZuck

Diamond

Re: Texas Tech vs. Baylor

Post by BigZuck » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:27 pm

Given that you're still considering Baylor after all that has been said here (not to mention the fact that its cost should have made it a non-starter) I can't say that I'm surprised that a small handwritten note is enough to become a significant factor in your decision.

Please, please, please look at things a bit more critically. This is a major decision. You need to really look at things like cost and likely outcomes and not get swept up by sales pitches.

leib10

Bronze

Post by leib10 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:27 pm

That's why I said that a lot more goes into making these decisions. It's one relatively minor factor among many important ones, the most critical being cost, bar passage rate, and employment post-graduation.

So far, Baylor has not convinced me that its program is not worth an extra $100K vs. Tech. Yes, its preparation for litigation is rigorous, but I'm not entirely sure that I can't get a similar preparation at Tech. I'm not even sure that I want to go into litigation, and it seems that Baylor is a bit too focused on it for my needs, while Tech seems to be a bit more well-rounded.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:31 pm

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:03 pm

Bar passage shouldn't be a consideration at all. Nor should any supposed "litigation training," which is Baylor-speak for "we are going to make your life a living hell and abuse the shit out of you for no reason."

There is no reason to be considering Baylor. It offers absolutely nothing in this case. It has no advantage at all.

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:39 pm

kalvano wrote:Bar passage shouldn't be a consideration at all. Nor should any supposed "litigation training," which is Baylor-speak for "we are going to make your life a living hell and abuse the shit out of you for no reason."

There is no reason to be considering Baylor. It offers absolutely nothing in this case. It has no advantage at all.
Yep. Having law graduates prepared for litigation is a bunch of nonsense. Law firms don't hire law students because they did a bunch of mock trials at the law school. They have never tried a real case so it's completely ridiculous.

It may be somewhat helpful for PDs/DAs but they mainly care about actual experience in their office, which you can do at any school.

And Baylor is 1) expensive, 2) in a terrible town and 3) a terrible experience in general.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

leib10

Bronze

Post by leib10 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:50 pm

Texas Tech has the Legal Practice program, which is focused on legal writing. Would you say that that is a more valuable experience than Baylor's Practice Court?

Canof09

New

Post by Canof09 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:16 am

Don't go to Baylor. Just don't.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:45 am

leib10 wrote:Texas Tech has the Legal Practice program, which is focused on legal writing. Would you say that that is a more valuable experience than Baylor's Practice Court?
Jesus fucking Christ, you're either trolling or just desperate for a reason to go to Baylor.

Neither one is a reason to choose one school over the other.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:53 am

leib10 wrote:Texas Tech has the Legal Practice program, which is focused on legal writing. Would you say that that is a more valuable experience than Baylor's Practice Court?
the baylor experience apparently sucks

its not worth considering without a substantial scholarship

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:21 am

I totally get why you wouldn't think this is the case, but basically everything I have heard from real, practicing lawyers is that law school doesn't really prepare you for the practice of law. Maybe people here will correct me on that if that's wrong. Didn't you say you had family who are lawyers? What do they thing of all this?

But anyway, all these programs and buzz words and stuff is a bunch of marketing crap. Ignore it. Go to a school that will get you a job, and at a reasonable cost. After that, what happens to your career is pretty much up to you. You won't be any more successful because you survived law school boot camp or received some cutting edge legal writing training.

leib10

Bronze

Post by leib10 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:56 pm

Good points. Thanks for the input.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:16 pm

BigZuck wrote:
I totally get why you wouldn't think this is the case, but basically everything I have heard from real, practicing lawyers is that law school doesn't really prepare you for the practice of law. Maybe people here will correct me on that if that's wrong. Didn't you say you had family who are lawyers? What do they thing of all this?

But anyway, all these programs and buzz words and stuff is a bunch of marketing crap. Ignore it. Go to a school that will get you a job, and at a reasonable cost. After that, what happens to your career is pretty much up to you. You won't be any more successful because you survived law school boot camp or received some cutting edge legal writing training.
This. Certain schools are certainly better at some things than others (trial ad, writing, transactional clinic work, etc.), but all schools are working from the same sized pie of 3 years of school requiring about 85-88 semester hours and the same basic requirements. As a result, to emphasize certain practical skills generally means de-emphasizing other practical skills.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

raininthedesert

Bronze

Post by raininthedesert » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:11 am

Seriously "kalvano"!? Your moniker shows up in every Baylor Law and other State of Texas law school thread with undeniable vitriol toward Baylor. My understanding is that you attend SMU Law, which last time I checked, is an over-priced private law school that lacks any discernible repute. It's obvious that you have an 'ax to grind' so why not be transparent about the situation. My guess is that either Baylor rejected you or that you felt Baylor should've provided you with a scholarship offer based on your numbers and didn't...so you've decided to let the entire TLS world know what a terrible place it must be even though you don't attend that institution. Now you're advocating for U Houston (LOL), Texas Tech (LOL), and other law schools over Baylor. I would love to see your grades at SMU and where you end up in terms of job placement. The administration at SMU Law would likely not be proud of any student who lacks professional comportment.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:19 am

raininthedesert wrote:Seriously "kalvano"!? Your moniker shows up in every Baylor Law and other State of Texas law school thread with undeniable vitriol toward Baylor. My understanding is that you attend SMU Law, which last time I checked, is an overpriced private law school that lacks any discernible repute. It's obvious that you have an 'ax to grind' so why not be transparent about the situation. My guess is that either Baylor rejected you or that you felt Baylor should've provided you with a scholarship offer based on your numbers and didn't...so you've decided to let the entire TLS world know what a terrible place it must be even though you don't attend that institution. Now you're advocating for U Houston (LOL), Texas Tech (LOL), and other law schools over Baylor. I would love to see your grades at SMU and where you end up in terms of job placement. The administration at SMU Law would likely not be proud of any student who lacks professional comportment.
Lord have mercy, really?? kalvano hasn't said anything that plenty of other people on this website haven't also said - what he's said about Baylor is a very very common characterization of the school. He comments in Texas law school threads because he's from Texas and clearly familiar with Texas schools, and he's a helpful poster.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:29 am

raininthedesert wrote:Seriously "kalvano"!? Your moniker shows up in every Baylor Law and other State of Texas law school thread with undeniable vitriol toward Baylor. My understanding is that you attend SMU Law, which last time I checked, is an over-priced private law school that lacks any discernible repute. It's obvious that you have an 'ax to grind' so why not be transparent about the situation. My guess is that either Baylor rejected you or that you felt Baylor should've provided you with a scholarship offer based on your numbers and didn't...so you've decided to let the entire TLS world know what a terrible place it must be even though you don't attend that institution. Now you're advocating for U Houston (LOL), Texas Tech (LOL), and other law schools over Baylor. I would love to see your grades at SMU and where you end up in terms of job placement. The administration at SMU Law would likely not be proud of any student who lacks professional comportment.
I've said a lot of crap about Baylor too. Come at me bro.

Kalvano is a very helpful poster (especially for us TX bros) and seems like an overall cool dude. You would be well advised to check yourself before you wreck yourself, IMO. SMU Law is also objectively better than Baylor Law and your repute thing makes no sense, so there's that.

Now, explain what he (or anyone else) has said about Baylor that is wrong. Be specific.

raininthedesert

Bronze

Post by raininthedesert » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:24 am

Grow up...you're not so tough hiding behind a fake avatar. No one is afraid about coming at you. There is no need for me to continue to defend a school I have no ties to and no one is suggesting that your comrade is not a useful poster in general (I haven't followed his posts in other arenas).

Why don't you explain to me why you or anyone would be knowledgeable enough about a school you don't attend to refer to it as "shit" (and quite a laundry list of other immature language) or "a waste of money" or that "every student is unhappy"? It's obviously personal to you and not just playful banter.

If you were simply commenting on sticker price, job prospects, etc. then there would be no issue with facts, reasonable anecdotes, or mild sarcasm. Just be transparent about why you have issues with a school that go beyond objective evaluation so that you can support future applicants and/or matriculants who need rational and objective advice.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:24 am

Baylor is twice the cost (vs. Tech in-state) for a marginal improvement in outcomes. The value seems clear, unless you have some way of paying for law school that I don't have access to.

I guess Baylor is considered more "prestigious?" I assume that's what is driving this?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cotiger

Gold

Post by cotiger » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:36 am

raininthedesert wrote:Grow up...you're not so tough hiding behind a fake avatar. No one is afraid about coming at you. There is no need for me to continue to defend a school I have no ties to and no one is suggesting that your comrade is not a useful poster in general (I haven't followed his posts in other arenas).

Why don't you explain to me why you or anyone would be knowledgeable enough about a school you don't attend to refer to it as "shit" (and quite a laundry list of other immature language) or "a waste of money" or that "every student is unhappy"? It's obviously personal to you and not just playful banter.

If you were simply commenting on sticker price, job prospects, etc. then there would be no issue with facts, reasonable anecdotes, or mild sarcasm. Just be transparent about why you have issues with a school that go beyond objective evaluation so that you can support future applicants and/or matriculants who need rational and objective advice.
Much hostility.

Looking at LST, SMU clearly outpaces Baylor in every category (total jobs, total legal employment, quality of legal employment). It's also true that Baylor does better than Tech. However, Baylor is waaay more expensive than Tech, and the increase in outcomes is pretty insignificant compared to the extra cost. When you combine that with the horror stories you hear about the culture there, you get a STAY AWAY.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:41 am

raininthedesert wrote:Grow up...you're not so tough hiding behind a fake avatar. No one is afraid about coming at you. There is no need for me to continue to defend a school I have no ties to and no one is suggesting that your comrade is not a useful poster in general (I haven't followed his posts in other arenas).

I don't have an avatar.

When I say something anti-Baylor, I cite cost, job prospects, Waco, and link to a thread where former students say its hell.

You seem dumb.

leib10

Bronze

Post by leib10 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:25 am

Yes, the prestige, reputation, slightly better stats, and rigor factors are mainly what's driving this. Cost is not even in dispute. But I'm convinced that Baylor doesn't have those qualities in quantities enough to justify a huge increase in cost (over $100K for me). So Baylor is out as far as I'm concerned.

holdencaulfield

Bronze

Post by holdencaulfield » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:29 am

raininthedesert wrote:Seriously "kalvano"!? Your moniker shows up in every Baylor Law and other State of Texas law school thread with undeniable vitriol toward Baylor. My understanding is that you attend SMU Law, which last time I checked, is an over-priced private law school that lacks any discernible repute. It's obvious that you have an 'ax to grind' so why not be transparent about the situation. My guess is that either Baylor rejected you or that you felt Baylor should've provided you with a scholarship offer based on your numbers and didn't...so you've decided to let the entire TLS world know what a terrible place it must be even though you don't attend that institution. Now you're advocating for U Houston (LOL), Texas Tech (LOL), and other law schools over Baylor. I would love to see your grades at SMU and where you end up in terms of job placement. The administration at SMU Law would likely not be proud of any student who lacks professional comportment.

Flame.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

raininthedesert

Bronze

Post by raininthedesert » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:36 pm

Then there was no reason for you, "Big Zuck," top interject yourself in defense of the irresponsible and inappropriate vitriol of your peer.

It's a much smaller world then you might realize and you've successfully insulted an associate in Big Law. Congratulations!

You may want to consider that when you look around a room and everyone "seems dumb"...the issue may simply be you.

I genuinely wish you the best of luck in your future career endeavors and hope that you can adjust your attitude so that it doesn't continue to be an impediment personally or professionally.

raininthedesert

Bronze

Post by raininthedesert » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:45 pm

"leib10" - It sounds like you arrived at a well-informed decision. You will undoubtedly be successful in your career endeavors.

The admissions director at Texas Tech has been incredibly generous with his time on this site and is obviously an incredibly bright, dedicated, and tactful professional who believes in his work and his law school. If he is any indication of what the administration and faculty are like at Texas Tech...you are in good hands.

Which is a case in point as to why individuals should think twice before letting the emotional interfere with the rational. Immature and inappropriate vitriol, when directed at a school, impacts the many wonderful people that work at and believe in these institutions.

cotiger

Gold

Post by cotiger » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:46 pm

raininthedesert wrote: It's a much smaller world then you might realize and you've successfully insulted an associate in Big Law. Congratulations!
--ImageRemoved--

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:51 pm

I thought this flame had a lot of potential at first and could possibly funny but now I'm officially voting weak sauce. I personally would give it up, regroup, and come back with a better schtick/material. There are quite a few good trolls around this site, if you really refocus your efforts I think you can make much greater leaps in your trolldom than you even thought possible.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”