Texas Tech vs. Baylor Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
leib10

Bronze

Texas Tech vs. Baylor

Post by leib10 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:43 am

Got into Tech with $7000/year scholarship, accepted at Baylor with no scholarship. I've been informed by several partners in large firms that the graduates they hire from both schools are of similar quality, and I've heard that the quality of education is pretty similar between the two. Baylor is ranked higher (not that that really means all that much in the end), but Tech is much, much cheaper (not counting the scholarship; yearly tuition should be around $15,000 per year vs. $45,000 for Baylor). Lubbock and Waco are both something of medical hubs, so that could help my wife (who is an occupational therapist) get a job more easily. I did my undergrad at Texas Tech, so Lubbock is pretty familiar to me. I also have family and friends in Lubbock, and I know a few 2Ls there who can help me get good internships. Both are known for producing quality practicing attorneys. Bar pass rates are similar, although Tech's slumped a bit in July 2013. Employment prospects are similar too. Tech has more available specializations than Baylor. Baylor is on a quarter system and requires 126 hours for graduation, vs. Tech at 90 hours.

Knowing all this, which would you choose?

holdencaulfield

Bronze

Re: Texas Tech vs. Baylor

Post by holdencaulfield » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:06 pm

IF you are set on one or the other, I would choose TTU; I just don't think Baylor is worth $90,000 more. Just realize that you will likely have to hustle to get a good job.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:53 pm

Honestly, if these were my only two options I would not go to law school. That's way too much to pay for mediocre job prospects.

I guess Tech could maybe be ok if all you're paying is that 45K for tuition (meaning no cost of living loans or anything like that) and you're ok with the fact that your most likely outcome by far is working for a small firm making about 50k, if you end up with a legal job at all. I wouldn't go to Baylor even if they paid me. That school sounds like the most miserable law school in the country.

What are your numbers? Your best bet is probably to retake the LSAT and go to a better school. Personally, I wouldn't go to any Texas school outside of UH, SMU, or UT.

leib10

Bronze

Post by leib10 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:59 pm

I should have also mentioned that I basically have a job waiting for me upon graduation, either at my dad's firm, another firm in my hometown, or at the DA's office (which is where I would prefer to start at). So employment shouldn't be too much of a problem.

txdude45

Silver

Post by txdude45 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:03 pm

leib10 wrote:I should have also mentioned that I basically have a job waiting for me upon graduation, either at my dad's firm, another firm in my hometown, or at the DA's office (which is where I would prefer to start at). So employment shouldn't be too much of a problem.
In that case go to Tech. Waco is a miserable city.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:19 pm

txdude45 wrote:
leib10 wrote:I should have also mentioned that I basically have a job waiting for me upon graduation, either at my dad's firm, another firm in my hometown, or at the DA's office (which is where I would prefer to start at). So employment shouldn't be too much of a problem.
In that case go to Tech. Waco is a miserable city.
Agreed. I would still retake because free>paying but if you really don't have to worry about employment then you obviously take the cheaper option, especially when the more expensive option is Baylor.

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:41 pm

Tech is the easy answer here. Waco is an awful city, and by all accounts Baylor Law is a horrendous experience.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:38 pm

Baylor is horrible. Go to Tech.

txdude45

Silver

Post by txdude45 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:43 pm

This this is not the unofficial Baylor/Waco sucks thread, I'll say in the city's defense that I've had a lot of good food in Waco. However, I've also gone to 3 different parties in the same night that were all dry. Do they even college there?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

leib10

Bronze

Post by leib10 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:48 pm

Meh, I don't really care about the party life (did that in undergrad). I am interested in the amount of activities and events. I know Lubbock had a fair amount for a small college town; does Waco have much going on?

txdude45

Silver

Post by txdude45 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:03 pm

leib10 wrote:Meh, I don't really care about the party life (did that in undergrad). I am interested in the amount of activities and events. I know Lubbock had a fair amount for a small college town; does Waco have much going on?
Other than seeing the sports teams, there is nothing to do in Waco. I was only ever there as a visitor, but over 10% of my HS graduating class went there and none of them seemed to think there was anything to do.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:06 pm

leib10 wrote:Meh, I don't really care about the party life (did that in undergrad). I am interested in the amount of activities and events. I know Lubbock had a fair amount for a small college town; does Waco have much going on?
I'm starting to not believe you when you say you have a guaranteed job. If you did, why would you even contemplate a school that is so much more expensive? All you need is that piece of paper and then to pass the bar (which, btw, has more to do with your intelligence and prep than which school is marginally better than the other).

Anyway, don't go to Baylor. Seriously. It's out. You would drown in debt, and it's hell. Just read through this thread: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 4&t=192436

leib10

Bronze

Post by leib10 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:07 pm

Well, from what I'm hearing Baylor is overpriced compared to Tech, the students are miserable, and Waco is a shithole. I think I got it! :lol:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jts723

Bronze

Post by jts723 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:21 pm

Waco does have a Fazoli's (fast food Italian), so Baylor is the logical choice.

leib10

Bronze

Post by leib10 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:18 pm

knicker

New

Post by knicker » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:29 am

For the love of god, do not choose to live in Lubbock because you think Waco is a shithole.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-jASgudffXQ4/T ... ubbock.jpg

leib10

Bronze

Post by leib10 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:38 pm

I lived for 3 years in Lubbock, I didn't really mind it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lnh819

Bronze

Post by lnh819 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:15 am

Current Tech 1L - Tech all the way!

leib10

Bronze

Post by leib10 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:43 am

I attended Baylor's open house last week. We met the Dean, had lunch with some professors, and sat in on a class. The facility itself is very nice and beautifully maintained. The impression I got was that if you are sure that you want to do litigation, Baylor is the best place in Texas to attend. If you weren't so sure, there might be other choices that might be a better fit. They seem to be ideally placed for recruiting law firms. Also, it is well known for being very challenging and rigorous, as well as prohibitively expensive if you didn't get a scholarship (like me). Overall cost would be around $66,000 a year, and they expect tuition to increase.

I think Tech is the better answer. I have ties there, the program is more well-rounded, the education in many respects is comparable to Baylor's, and it is MUCH cheaper.

chem!

Platinum

Post by chem! » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:46 am

leib10 wrote:I attended Baylor's open house last week. We met the Dean, had lunch with some professors, and sat in on a class. The facility itself is very nice and beautifully maintained. The impression I got was that if you are sure that you want to do litigation, Baylor is the best place in Texas to attend. If you weren't so sure, there might be other choices that might be a better fit. They seem to be ideally placed for recruiting law firms. Also, it is well known for being very challenging and rigorous, as well as prohibitively expensive if you didn't get a scholarship (like me). Overall cost would be around $66,000 a year, and they expect tuition to increase.

I think Tech is the better answer. I have ties there, the program is more well-rounded, the education in many respects is comparable to Baylor's, and it is MUCH cheaper.
Yes. Tech.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:52 pm

Tech, if only b/c you can holla at the Dean on TLS.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:27 am

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:21 am

Good choice

Baylor at sticker is a terrible option
cron1834 wrote:Tech, if only b/c you can holla at the Dean on TLS.
Dean Perez is legit

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:43 pm

Yeah, I give propers for his presence here.

leib10

Bronze

Post by leib10 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:14 pm

In all honesty, I didn't really get that Baylor wanted me to attend. I understand it's very unscientific, but I just didn't get the vibes that they were really happy to have us there. The moment I was asked about and mentioned the other offers I've had, it's like all interest in me stopped and they focused on the people who were committed to attending, as if they knew they couldn't compete with them.

Tech has been in much more contact with me and seems to be a lot more interested in luring me their way. The handwritten note on my acceptance letter from Tech was much more personal than the generic "You belong at Baylor" I received from them. I know a lot more goes into choosing a law school than how much personal attention you receive when you are accepted, but I feel genuinely welcome at Tech, and that may translate into more care and attention towards me as a student if I attend.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”