Ivy or Duke for NC?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
E3to

Ivy or Duke for NC?

Postby E3to » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:05 pm

My choice is between Columbia, Penn, and Duke. I loved Columbia on my visit, but want to eventually practice in Charlotte or the Triangle. I grew up in NC and went to a large public here, so am wondering what kind of reach Columbia or Penn have in this market?

arklaw13

Re: Ivy or Duke for NC?

Postby arklaw13 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:09 pm

E3to wrote:My choice is between Columbia, Penn, and Duke. I loved Columbia on my visit, but want to eventually practice in Charlotte or the Triangle. I grew up in NC and went to a large public here, so am wondering what kind of reach Columbia or Penn have in this market?

I'd definitely pick Duke with $$ over Columbia/Penn if you want NC. Negotiate as much money as you can from duke.

twenty

Postby twenty » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:22 pm

Duke, absolutely no question. Even at the same cost, Columbia or Penn would be objectively worse choices if you want NC (and more importantly, have strong ties).

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:52 pm

How would you know about CLS yet? If you do, that means you ED'd, and you definitely shouldn't break your ED covenant for Duke.

Assuming this is a hypo, I'd have to ask, what kind of practice are you looking for? I dont know the NC market well enough to be certain, but if you want a large transactional practice, Penn and CLS are a better way to get there (although in NYC). Obviously Duke would dominate the local market, but make sure you know what type of work/firms that entails.

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:48 pm

I just want to point out that "ivy" isn't a thing to consider for law schools.

achilles470

Postby achilles470 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:15 pm

I'm considering the same question. Duke w/$$ for NC practice (i'm from the area and have a couple legal ties) seems like such a good deal. Especially w/low cost of living and healthier work/life balance compared to NYC. I just don't know if I want to completely commit to NC just yet.

What kind of law do you want to practice?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”