Graduating Top of Law Class

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
PepperJack

Re: Graduating Top of Law Class

Postby PepperJack » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:44 pm

lawhopeful10 wrote:
holdencaulfield wrote:
LawSchoolHopeful1108 wrote:Well, my grades suffered during my first four years of college undergrad because I had to help support my elderly parents with a full-time job while going to school full-time as well. My final 1.5 years, I made Dean's List each semester and did not get a GPA lower than 3.98 because I was able to help my mother find a job (Which could take over supporting roles) and I was finally able to focus on school. I know that Law Schools look at the whole body of work and even I admit that my grades are not strong. However I feel like I proved that I could really turn things around if I have the time and chance to focus on my school work and not on extra-curriculars.

I know this is cliche and I am sure EVERYONE has thought the same thing at one time or another but I feel like I proved to myself that I have the drive to receive top grades if I can focus on doing so.

And no, I am not someone else. I am a first time poster/long time lurker. (reference to the comment a few posts above)

Once again, thanks for your time guys/girls. All these responses (even the distasteful ones) are appreciated.

Is it possible to have a semester GPA of 3.98?

I think my first semester of undergrad I got that GPA because I had like two A+s which were higher than a 4 but also got one B+ and somehow it ended up at 3.98. This was four years ago though so I could be wrong.

I have a lot of respect for what you did to support your parents, but to be candid, the people who populate the top law schools and do well in them largely dominated undergrad with their eyes half-closed. It's the reverse splitters who worked hard in college normally, but are more workers than intellectuals. The LSAT isn't at all linked to helping to support your parents. I can see your logic in saying we have to strip all but the last 1.5 years in evaluating your UG record, but 1.) UGGPA has almost no predictive value in law school (I think it's 7%?) and 2.) Just because you did shitty in bad circumstances doesn't mean you'd have done well in good circumstances.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:45 pm

^ The people I saw dominate law school were mostly the splitters, who idly sat in college and got mediocre grades at best.

Thus, it is simply too random to draw any generalization on who is at the top.

PepperJack

Postby PepperJack » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:50 pm

stillwater wrote:^ The people I saw dominate law school were mostly the splitters, who idly sat in college and got mediocre grades at best.

Thus, it is simply too random to draw any generalization on who is at the top.

Yeah, college GPA has no predictive value. However, I don't know if it's true that one can't predict if they'll be above median or that everyone works hard. But, yeah, 152 isn't a splitter.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”