Cornell/Ithaca, NY weather?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jamieLD

Cornell/Ithaca, NY weather?

Postby jamieLD » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:54 pm

So, I know Ithaca is cold. Like, really cold. I have managed to find temperature data because it's everywhere, but I'm really interested in more "weather pattern" data, and I can't seem to find any.

I'm fine with 20 degree weather, but I also like the sun. Is there anyone from Ithaca or at Cornell who wouldn't mind shedding some light on what the non-temperature weather data looks like? Is it generally COLD but sunny? or is it cold and super cloudy? Rainy? Foggy? Partly cloudy? Foggy in the mornings? etc?

Anything you have to add would be really appreciated, thanks!

thesealocust

Re: Cornell/Ithaca, NY weather?

Postby thesealocust » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:58 pm

95% of the days of the year the temperature is 33.5 degrees F and it is raining. 4% of the time it's snowing and 1% of the time it's nice out and you can see the sun.

anyriotgirl

Postby anyriotgirl » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:02 pm

Last edited by anyriotgirl on Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sacred Cow

Postby Sacred Cow » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:37 pm

thesealocust wrote:95% of the days of the year the temperature is 33.5 degrees F and it is raining. 4% of the time it's snowing and 1% of the time it's nice out and you can see the sun.

spiritniffler189

Postby spiritniffler189 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:24 pm

Someone told me it was the Seattle of the Northeast before and I think it's absolutely true. It's either rainy, or looks like it's about to rain, most of the year. It's only nice the first few weeks of the semester, and during finals. 2 of my friends have some sort of heat lamp to help them w/ seasonal depression. It doesn't bother me during the semester, but the minute I leave and experience sunlight I realize how depressing the weather is.

Cellar-door

Postby Cellar-door » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:43 pm

There is a reason Cornell put fences on the bridges to try and keep people from jumping.

twenty

Postby twenty » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:29 pm

Ithaca is a terrible place, though Cornell itself is great and does a lot to make up for its horrible location. You're not exactly going to be frolicking around rural NY during law school regardless.

I think people overestimate just how miserable they'd be in Ithaca and go with Georgetown instead.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:13 am

Cellar-door wrote:There is a reason Cornell put fences on the bridges to try and keep people from jumping.

We actually took those down.

We have nets now.

Also, not cool.

spiritniffler189 wrote:Someone told me it was the Seattle of the Northeast before and I think it's absolutely true. It's either rainy, or looks like it's about to rain, most of the year. It's only nice the first few weeks of the semester, and during finals. 2 of my friends have some sort of heat lamp to help them w/ seasonal depression. It doesn't bother me during the semester, but the minute I leave and experience sunlight I realize how depressing the weather is.

Agree with the "Seattle of the Northeast" description. It can be completely overcast for long stretches of time in the winter. I'd argue it was nice through October, but that depends on the definition of "nice." If you mean 70 degrees and sunny, then yeah, there were only a couple of those days in October.

twentypercentmore wrote:Ithaca is a terrible place, though Cornell itself is great and does a lot to make up for its horrible location. You're not exactly going to be frolicking around rural NY during law school regardless.

:roll:

Maybe if you absolutely need to live in a city, it's a bad place for you. But saying any location is objectively terrible is silly. Some of us actually do go hiking, apple-picking, skeet shooting, on wine tasting tours, etc. in rural NY during law school.

I'm not going to argue the weather is a plus, but so far I like the location. It's a welcome change from the concrete jungle of NYC.

OP, this has pretty much everything you need. Compare it with cities you're familiar with. Then consider the weather factor when you have all your options and are weighing them.

clone22

Postby clone22 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:36 am

It's really not that bad. Been here since Fall of 2011. The winters have been weak. I have been told to expect siberia here. Instead, we've had a total of maybe 4 weeks out of the 3 years with actual snow on the ground. Ithaca is not south florida, but it really isn't that bad. Blame global warming or whatever, but the number of days below 32 degrees has been surprisingly limited. That hill is a far bigger pain in the ass than the weather will ever be.

twenty

Postby twenty » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:12 pm

Let's not kid ourselves -- Cornell is easily the most underrated law school of the T14. Its biglaw/A3 placement stats rival/outperform the rest of the lower T14, it admits a larger percentage of people than its peer schools despite its small class size and apparently gives out substantially more money. According to a lot of profiles on LSN, they also seem really willing to negotiate. Yet GULC is able to admit a class three times larger with far less scholarship money at a higher GPA/LSAT median.

The only reason I can see law students don't sign up for Cornell in absolute droves is because of the location/weather. So joke's on them because the environment is not as bad as people that haven't been there envision it -- that's cool.

Lacepiece23

Postby Lacepiece23 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:26 pm

twenty wrote:Let's not kid ourselves -- Cornell is easily the most underrated law school of the T14. Its biglaw/A3 placement stats rival/outperform the rest of the lower T14, it admits a larger percentage of people than its peer schools despite its small class size and apparently gives out substantially more money. According to a lot of profiles on LSN, they also seem really willing to negotiate. Yet GULC is able to admit a class three times larger with far less scholarship money at a higher GPA/LSAT median.

The only reason I can see law students don't sign up for Cornell in absolute droves is because of the location/weather. So joke's on them because the environment is not as bad as people that haven't been there envision it -- that's cool.

Yeah I agree with this. In my class 70% got summer jobs. Thats a shit ton of our class. At least thats what career services told us. Anyway, why wouldn't you come here if you wanted biglaw. I have a pretty solid group group of 8-10 friends and all of them have jobs. They are all over the map as far as grades go. Literally all you have to do is be not in the bottom 10% and a social person to get a job. So idk thats worth living in the middle of no where for me. And its not that bad most the time.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:02 pm

twenty wrote:The only reason I can see law students don't sign up for Cornell in absolute droves is because of the location/weather. So joke's on them because the environment is not as bad as people that haven't been there envision it -- that's cool.

...Right, and that's why I have to call out comments like this:
twenty wrote:Ithaca is a terrible place

because that's the sort of comment that makes people not even bother giving Cornell a chance. I almost didn't apply because of all the negative comments about Ithaca, and I'm glad I didn't listen. It ended up being much better than I expected.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”