Pepperdine Student Climate-- lgbt friendly?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jbagelboy

Re: Pepperdine Student Climate-- lgbt friendly?

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:10 pm

in b4 kalvano and Zuck have to remind Dark Kite they didn't go to a T14.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:13 pm

jbagelboy wrote:in b4 kalvano and Zuck have to remind Dark Kite they didn't go to a T14.

Dammit. Beat me to it.

It's not a route I would suggest if I were giving advice.

The Dark Kite

Postby The Dark Kite » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:14 pm

kalvano wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:in b4 kalvano and Zuck have to remind Dark Kite they didn't go to a T14.

Dammit. Beat me to it.

It's not a route I would suggest if I were giving advice.

BigZuck wrote:2. I don't go to a T14. On numerous occasions I have relayed my personal story with taking the LSAT multiple times and how much that drastically improved my law school lot. Suffice it to say that I'm one of those TTT->T14 (if I had chosen to go to a T14) success stories and I have gone out of my way to give people advice so they too can be a success story and not a statistic.

He actually already said it. And I saw that he said it. Granted, I made a wrongful assumption but it doesn't detract from my overall point.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:23 pm

As someone who is acquiring a legal education right now, I can assure you that there is next to no scholarly value to be had.

Also, is it ok if we don't say good things about American? That's a T1, isn't it? That dump should be shut down.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:02 pm

BigZuck wrote:As someone who is acquiring a legal education right now, I can assure you that there is next to no scholarly value to be had.

Also, is it ok if we don't say good things about American? That's a T1, isn't it? That dump should be shut down.

Yes, I'd love to know how the 0L thinks that legal education delivers scholarly value that doesn't come from the movies or law professor BS.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:23 pm

The Dark Kite wrote:Rebuttal? To what? It's funny. How is it not religion when the scripture is what inspires the hate mongering? Calm down.

Oy, I know this thread isn't about religion, so this'll be my last one on this subject so I don't perpetuate the derail.

It's funny to you because you, apparently having nailed the exact intersection of culture, gender norms, religion, history, and psychology, have established a super obvious and casual 1 for 1 relationship. You may even be right, but people can and do reasonably disagree with you, and dismissing them (especially when OP is apparently both religious and gay, and might have a fairly nuanced take on the subject) out of hand with an "LOL amirite, guyz?" is dumb.

The Dark Kite

Postby The Dark Kite » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:41 pm

timbs4339 wrote:Yes, I'd love to know how the 0L thinks that legal education delivers scholarly value that doesn't come from the movies or law professor BS.

LOL... I'm picturing this guy holding a pitchfork at the head of a mob. I'm "the 0L"? But it's true. You do hold a valid point. Law school is like skull and bones... no one knows anything about what goes on in the classroom of a law school. And no one that's gone to law school have ever told a true telling of what actually goes on. It's the education system's best and darkest kept secret. My apologies.

TheSpanishMain wrote:Oy, I know this thread isn't about religion, so this'll be my last one on this subject so I don't perpetuate the derail.

It's funny to you because you, apparently having nailed the exact intersection of culture, gender norms, religion, history, and psychology, have established a super obvious and casual 1 for 1 relationship. You may even be right, but people can and do reasonably disagree with you, and dismissing them (especially when OP is apparently both religious and gay, and might have a fairly nuanced take on the subject) out of hand with an "LOL amirite, guyz?" is dumb.

Oh, is that what I said? Calm down. Part II.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:45 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:I feel like it's borderline offensive to say that the reason students at T2 schools don't get jobs is because they haphazardly dash through the job search process or really never wanted to become lawyers in the first place. Yeah, so that guy in the Vale considering suicide/those folks on JDU just need to suck it up and try harder?

Okay.

I agree.

It's also a pussy move to excuse our own generation of any wrongdoing in this. You check out the Indy Tech kiddos? No fault?

Better question-- Indy Tech will no doubt have an LST score of 20%. Do you believe that you, personally, would have a 20% chance of becoming a lawyer from that school?

* Feminists read "intellectual cowardice" for "a pussy move."

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:54 pm

Duff I get what you're saying (or I think I do) and to some extent I even agree with it. The kind of students that do research, visit TLS, and retake the LSAT are probably more invested in law school and their career than the average Joe Schmo who goes to law school because his parents tell him to. Consequently, those students probably stand to do better, on average, than their lackadaisical peers.

The problem is that it's really hard to know if you're a Joe Schmo. Everybody thinks they have a great reason for going to law school, and most people do some modicum of research and preparation (well, those who attend schools outside of the TTTT, anyway). So when prospective student X comes in here and asks whether he should attend a school with 50% employment, it's a lot easier to simply assume student X has roughly a 50/50 shot at a job - we don't have the time or energy to consider the dude's life story and evaluate the marginal effect it will have on his chance at employment, particularly when you consider how terrible people generally are at evaluating their own abilities.

Furthermore, I'm not aware of any correlation between 0L prep and grades, which are usually the single largest factor in one's ability to get a job. All the research and preparation in the world won't help you if you bomb your finals. And as we know, finals are notoriously unpredictable to the point of being arbitrary. 99 times out of 100, it's easier (and better advice) to simply recommend that someone retake the LSAT (which is indisputably far more predictable, learnable, and conquerable than a law school exam).
Last edited by rickgrimes69 on Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:57 pm

What is this "Indy Tech" thread? I'm bored at work.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:00 pm

The Dark Kite wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:Yes, I'd love to know how the 0L thinks that legal education delivers scholarly value that doesn't come from the movies or law professor BS.

LOL... I'm picturing this guy holding a pitchfork at the head of a mob. I'm "the 0L"? But it's true. You do hold a valid point. Law school is like skull and bones... no one knows anything about what goes on in the classroom of a law school. And no one that's gone to law school have ever told a true telling of what actually goes on. It's the education system's best and darkest kept secret. My apologies.

Hey maybe there's an answer to my question somewhere in there?

I'm sure you got all tingly watching the Paper Chase and thinking about how you were going to debate the finer points of law with old Professor Kingsfield, or Legally Blonde and figured you'd be second chairing murder trials spring semester of 1L year. Socratic method is just so rigorous and intellectually stimulating. My bad. Carry on.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:06 pm

rickgrimes69 wrote:Duff I get what you're saying (or I think I do) and to some extent I even agree with it. The kind of students that do research, visit TLS, and retake the LSAT are probably more invested in law school and their career than the average Joe Schmo who goes to law school because his parents tell him to. Consequently, those students probably stand to do better, on average, than their lackadaisical peers.

The problem is that it's really hard to know if you're a Joe Schmo.

I'd also add that while earlier it was said that someone's chances of getting a legal job are only 50/50 out of Pepperdine (to which LRM replied that this isn't true for a TLSer), the odds of getting a good legal job that can actually pay down loans is much lower than 50-50. You might be able to argue that a diligent, TLS-reading individual has a 50-50 chance of getting that good legal job if you throw out all the rich kids who just want to surf all day, but is 50-50 worth six figures of debt?

Nova

Postby Nova » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:08 pm

kalvano wrote:What is this "Indy Tech" thread? I'm bored at work.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=195434

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:11 pm

Nova wrote:
kalvano wrote:What is this "Indy Tech" thread? I'm bored at work.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=195434

The Dean chiming in remains one of the great moments in TLS history.

twenty

Postby twenty » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:14 pm

I'm not inclined to believe that T14-goers are disproportionately interested in having a law-related job. I appreciate Joey McRichkid made his parents proud by getting a 156 which qualifies him to go to Pepperdine on a full parental scholarship, and thus is substantially less motivated to actually become an attorney. That said, there are people on this website that are delusional enough to feel like a law degree will open political doors for them -- and amazingly, these are people with reasonably good LSAT scores.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:21 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:I'm not inclined to believe that T14-goers are disproportionately interested in having a law-related job.

To be fair, I don't think he's arguing that T14's are disproportionately interested in having a legal job, but are probably disproportionately more likely to be well informed about the legal market and HOW to get a job. I'm sure all the Indiana Tech suckers listening pond cummings talk about hip hop and the law would say they want to be attorneys, but they are more likely to have a poor understanding of how to actually make that happen.

twenty

Postby twenty » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:51 pm

Certainly sub-par schools sabotage their students by charging way too much for a terrible product (seeing as that more than a couple TTTs don't even have OCI), but that's still indicative of the school, not the student body. In short, a student gunning for "a solid employment outcome" from a T2 is still in significantly worse shape than a medianish NU student who figured nothing could go wrong with bidding exclusively on DC.

Like, I see what you're saying, and I agree. That said, the only barrier between a 0L and a hopelessly unemployed TTT graduate is TLS rudely insisting on a retake.

Postby 20141023 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:11 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:22 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
rickgrimes69 wrote:Duff I get what you're saying (or I think I do) and to some extent I even agree with it. The kind of students that do research, visit TLS, and retake the LSAT are probably more invested in law school and their career than the average Joe Schmo who goes to law school because his parents tell him to. Consequently, those students probably stand to do better, on average, than their lackadaisical peers.

The problem is that it's really hard to know if you're a Joe Schmo.

I'd also add that while earlier it was said that someone's chances of getting a legal job are only 50/50 out of Pepperdine (to which LRM replied that this isn't true for a TLSer), the odds of getting a good legal job that can actually pay down loans is much lower than 50-50. You might be able to argue that a diligent, TLS-reading individual has a 50-50 chance of getting that good legal job if you throw out all the rich kids who just want to surf all day, but is 50-50 worth six figures of debt?

I think the "Ill do better than my classmates because Im more motivated and informed" claim is total bullshit. You have no idea how you or any other person will do 1L year, and if you are dependent on the institution itself to provide employment opportunities (i.e., not nepotism or prior workplace rehire), this implies pretty forcefully you have no idea what kind of employment opportunities you will procure relative to your classmates. This is due to the arbitrary nature of exam writing/taking/evaluation, and results which may have no relation to effort. I don't buy this shit special snowflake for a minute, even at some lower ranked law programs. Assume median or worse, or you are engaging in perilous self deception.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:02 pm

Retake is the right advice 99.5% of the time. I took the test three times and moved from a 160 to a 168. I should have taken it again because I missed six on the games that last time. But my GPA was 2.dick and I got a good scholarship to the state school where I wanted to work. I figured I'd never get a full ride.

Seems like most dooders come on here with their 3.6s and bitch about taking the LSAT twice. Fuck these fucks. I'd have traded a kidney for a 3.6 a few years back, and I would have definetely sat for the LSAT for a fourth time.
Last edited by Lord Randolph McDuff on Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:03 pm

By the way I have never read the initial post I just came in here and started bitching.

ExBiglawAssociate

Postby ExBiglawAssociate » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:35 pm

AT9 wrote:I'm betting the student body at Peoperdine is more conservative than the average law school student body, but I would also bet that most of them won't really care much about you being gay, especially if you're not going around broadcasting it. Liberty and Regent are the only schools I can think of where the students would probably be more blatantly unaccepting, mostly because those schools have a fairly obvious political agenda.

This.

Mr. Jones

Postby Mr. Jones » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:04 pm

OP, you will be fine at Pepperdine. There were LGBT students when I was there that started a club for it. They were well-received. The student body may be slightly, if at all, more conservative than the average law school; however, there is a healthy mix of religions and political views. You will find that a substantial proportion of the professors are actually fairly liberal.

As an anecdote, during my final semester there I heard a professor telling a LGBT student how happy he was to see that they started a LGBT club on campus so they could try show that the law school is accepting.

Re the sexual relations clauses in the rules, I have never heard of them being enforced outside of on Campus living. If you live on Campus, you failed to do your due diligence to realize its a terrible terrible idea and that's the result you got. Otherwise, Pepperdine is like other law schools, lots of high-school like drama but with more sex, stress, and drinking involved.

knicker

Postby knicker » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:11 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:
mr. wednesday wrote:From their policies:

Pepperdine may be intolerant, sure. I just don't think you should extrapolate from there to "any institution affiliated with a religion hates gays".

This actually surprised me. I thought Pepperdine was a Catholic Jesuit school, and Jesuits tend to be on the more liberal end.

No no no no - not Catholic. Churches of Christ.

THIS. A friend of mine got turned down for an academic job at Pepperdine shortly after he revealed that he was catholic (possibly unrelated but they took a much, much less qualified candidate--MA over PhD). So if the ADMIN doesn't even like the wrong flavor of christian, just imagine how the student body feels about sexually deviant heathens.

Also, consider the type of people who most frequently attend Pepperdine law, and are therefore the people most likely to help you find a job. Is that the alumni base you want to be tapping?

ALSO, COL in Malibu is totally preposterous.

TL;DR: Pepperdine is for rich WASPs only.

knicker

Postby knicker » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:19 am

Mr. Jones wrote:OP, you will be fine at Pepperdine. There were LGBT students when I was there that started a club for it. They were well-received. The student body may be slightly, if at all, more conservative than the average law school; however, there is a healthy mix of religions and political views. You will find that a substantial proportion of the professors are actually fairly liberal.

As an anecdote, during my final semester there I heard a professor telling a LGBT student how happy he was to see that they started a LGBT club on campus so they could try show that the law school is accepting.

Re the sexual relations clauses in the rules, I have never heard of them being enforced outside of on Campus living. If you live on Campus, you failed to do your due diligence to realize its a terrible terrible idea and that's the result you got. Otherwise, Pepperdine is like other law schools, lots of high-school like drama but with more sex, stress, and drinking involved.

All of this is wrong.

1) This lgbt club? http://pepperdine-graphic.com/reachout-recognition-denied-lgbt-advocates-turn-to-online-petition/ The one that the admin refused to recognize?

2) "Prof said he was happy about an LGBT club" = "some of my best friends are black people."

3) There is a RULE AGAINST BEING GAY. OP, do not bank on the admin not enforcing that rule as long as you are sufficiently discrete. See DADT for more info..

4) The bolded statement above is a quote from a Pepperdine alum explaining that getting kicked out for having inappropriate sexual conduct is the student's fault, as opposed to the university's. Is there anything else you need to know about the school or its graduates?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”