Business Law

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
guano
Posts: 2268
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:49 am

Re: Business Law

Postby guano » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:09 pm

john1990 wrote:
stillwater wrote:so if you would only do transactions outside of the "corporate format", will you sagely turn away small business work from businesses that are incorporated because nothing in the corporate format gets past this gatekeeper?


Well I think its more of a regular client base that various firms use. Even if a firm has some corporations in their client base they may not have as many. Most Law schools report salary medians for "business law" and this varies from corporate law and I suspect that this would be the reason why. It is a firm which deals primarily with businesses which aren't corporations. Its smaller business and you would think less work

most small businesses are corporations

User avatar
guano
Posts: 2268
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:49 am

Re: Business Law

Postby guano » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:10 pm

john1990 wrote:
Where did I lose you

at hello

User avatar
john1990
Posts: 1211
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:49 pm

Re: Business Law

Postby john1990 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:10 pm

stillwater wrote:
john1990 wrote:
midnight_circus wrote:To be honest, I think you need more help than an anonymous internet forum can provide.


Well Im in at 4T for free. That's better than being unemployed


but worse than losing 3 years of income to get a piece of paper and no jerb.


I was unemployed so there's technically no opportunity cost

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: Business Law

Postby stillwater » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:10 pm

john1990 wrote:
stillwater wrote:
john1990 wrote:
stillwater wrote:so if you would only do transactions outside of the "corporate format", will you sagely turn away small business work from businesses that are incorporated because nothing in the corporate format gets past this gatekeeper?


Well I think its more of a regular client base that various firms use. Even if a firm has some corporations in their client base they may not have as many. Most Law schools report salary medians for "business law" and this varies from corporate law and I suspect that this would be the reason why. It is a firm which deals primarily with businesses which aren't corporations. Its smaller business and you would think less work


this makes no sense, at all.


Where did I lose you


see guano above.

User avatar
john1990
Posts: 1211
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:49 pm

Re: Business Law

Postby john1990 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:10 pm

guano wrote:
john1990 wrote:
Where did I lose you

at hello


Whose a pretty girl

User avatar
john1990
Posts: 1211
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:49 pm

Re: Business Law

Postby john1990 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:11 pm

stillwater wrote:
stillwater wrote:
john1990 wrote:
stillwater wrote:so if you would only do transactions outside of the "corporate format", will you sagely turn away small business work from businesses that are incorporated because nothing in the corporate format gets past this gatekeeper?




this makes no sense, at all.


Where did I lose you


see guano above.


Your a pretty girl

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: Business Law

Postby stillwater » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:13 pm

Thanks man

User avatar
jingosaur
Posts: 2218
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:33 am

Re: Business Law

Postby jingosaur » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:37 am

john1990 wrote:
midnight_circus wrote:To be honest, I think you need more help than an anonymous internet forum can provide.


Well Im in at 4T for free. That's better than being unemployed


I don't think he was referring to help about which law school to attend.

20141023
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am

Re: Business Law

Postby 20141023 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:12 am

If you are a real person who is actually a first-year student at Thomas Jefferson School of Law, I suggest that you consider dropping out and working for a year as a paralegal while studying to retake the LSAT. This will hopefully give you an idea of what the firm culture is like in regards to hours worked, subject matter, etc., and it will help improve your employment prospects by allowing you to go to a better school. With a 3.3 GPA, you could get a pretty legit scholarship from some decent schools (even some T14 probably) if you can pull your LSAT score up. Although it would be wise to leave TJSL because of their employment rates, there is only 1 school near Boston that is worth paying for, and it isn't BC or BU. :P

Lastly, this.

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Business Law

Postby kwais » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:06 am

john1990 wrote:
stillwater wrote:so if you would only do transactions outside of the "corporate format", will you sagely turn away small business work from businesses that are incorporated because nothing in the corporate format gets past this gatekeeper?


Well I think its more of a regular client base that various firms use. Even if a firm has some corporations in their client base they may not have as many. Most Law schools report salary medians for "business law" and this varies from corporate law and I suspect that this would be the reason why. It is a firm which deals primarily with businesses which aren't corporations. Its smaller business and you would think less work


Is it possible you are confusing salaries for those going into business with salaries for "business law?" I've seen the former but never the latter. Can you provide an example of a salary report that has a section for business law in which this refers to smaller firms serving unincorporated businesses?

WanderingPondering
Posts: 444
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:47 am

Re: Business Law

Postby WanderingPondering » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:31 am

Bizzare thread is bizzare.

OP: maybe take some time off and work? You said you used to be an accountant? I'd do that for a couple years and see where you are then. Probably more lucrative and stable than rolling the dice with BU...

User avatar
john1990
Posts: 1211
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:49 pm

Re: Business Law

Postby john1990 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:31 pm

jingosaur wrote:
john1990 wrote:
midnight_circus wrote:To be honest, I think you need more help than an anonymous internet forum can provide.


Well Im in at 4T for free. That's better than being unemployed


I don't think he was referring to help about which law school to attend.


Yea he was mate

User avatar
john1990
Posts: 1211
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:49 pm

Re: Business Law

Postby john1990 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:33 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:If you are a real person who is actually a first-year student at Thomas Jefferson School of Law, I suggest that you consider dropping out and working for a year as a paralegal while studying to retake the LSAT. This will hopefully give you an idea of what the firm culture is like in regards to hours worked, subject matter, etc., and it will help improve your employment prospects by allowing you to go to a better school. With a 3.3 GPA, you could get a pretty legit scholarship from some decent schools (even some T14 probably) if you can pull your LSAT score up. Although it would be wise to leave TJSL because of their employment rates, there is only 1 school near Boston that is worth paying for, and it isn't BC or BU. :P

Lastly, this.


I have already taken time of to work and could not improve my lsat score

User avatar
john1990
Posts: 1211
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:49 pm

Re: Business Law

Postby john1990 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:36 pm

kwais wrote:
john1990 wrote:
stillwater wrote:so if you would only do transactions outside of the "corporate format", will you sagely turn away small business work from businesses that are incorporated because nothing in the corporate format gets past this gatekeeper?


Well I think its more of a regular client base that various firms use. Even if a firm has some corporations in their client base they may not have as many. Most Law schools report salary medians for "business law" and this varies from corporate law and I suspect that this would be the reason why. It is a firm which deals primarily with businesses which aren't corporations. Its smaller business and you would think less work


Is it possible you are confusing salaries for those going into business with salaries for "business law?" I've seen the former but never the latter. Can you provide an example of a salary report that has a section for business law in which this refers to smaller firms serving unincorporated businesses?


http://www.tjsl.edu/sites/default/files ... 202012.pdf

Notice the employment categories on page 2 which include "business" This 23% cannot be corporate law at TJSL

User avatar
guano
Posts: 2268
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:49 am

Re: Business Law

Postby guano » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:40 pm

john1990 wrote:
http://www.tjsl.edu/sites/default/files ... 202012.pdf

Notice the employment categories on page 2 which include "business" This 23% cannot be corporate law at TJSL

Image


it means they work for a business... which could include such notable employers as walmart and starbucks

edit to be more helpful: look at the bottom. of the "business" jobs, 12% require bar passage, and 33% are JD advantage. That means more than half of "business" jobs are not in any way related to the law

User avatar
john1990
Posts: 1211
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:49 pm

Re: Business Law

Postby john1990 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:46 pm

guano wrote:
john1990 wrote:
http://www.tjsl.edu/sites/default/files ... 202012.pdf

Notice the employment categories on page 2 which include "business" This 23% cannot be corporate law at TJSL




it means they work for a business... which could include such notable employers as walmart and starbucks

edit to be more helpful: look at the bottom. of the "business" jobs, 12% require bar passage, and 33% are JD advantage. That means more than half of "business" jobs are not in any way related to the law


Regardless I'm referring to that 50%. Those are the jobs I'm talking about
Last edited by john1990 on Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
guano
Posts: 2268
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:49 am

Re: Business Law

Postby guano » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:49 pm

john1990 wrote:
guano wrote:
john1990 wrote:
http://www.tjsl.edu/sites/default/files ... 202012.pdf

Notice the employment categories on page 2 which include "business" This 23% cannot be corporate law at TJSL

Image


it means they work for a business... which could include such notable employers as walmart and starbucks

edit to be more helpful: look at the bottom. of the "business" jobs, 12% require bar passage, and 33% are JD advantage. That means more than half of "business" jobs are not in any way related to the law


Regardless I'm referring to that 50%. Those are the jobs I'm talking about

what 50%?
oh, you mean the 45% of JD advantage/JD required business jobs? That category covers 23% of the class, so you're talking 10% of the class overall.

To break it down, 7% of the class are basically paralegals, 3% are actual lawyers working in-house for some business. How many of those do you think got the job through family connections?

User avatar
john1990
Posts: 1211
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:49 pm

Re: Business Law

Postby john1990 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:54 pm

So the answer appears to be in house for a business. You cant really guess how many were from a family connection

User avatar
guano
Posts: 2268
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:49 am

Re: Business Law

Postby guano » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:01 pm

john1990 wrote:So the answer appears to be in house for a business. You cant really guess how many were from a family connection

not gonna guess... the answer is that only about 3% of the class got those kind of jobs.
What I can tell you is that those kind of jobs generally fall into 2 categories:
1) big businesses; they generally prefer the better ranked schools, though most have stopped hiring fresh grads and instead take people who've had a few years experience at a firm
2) small businesses that rarely hire fresh grads, and usually do so through connections (because your uncle vouched for you, or your parents' best friend watched you grow up)

Got any family friends with their own business?

User avatar
john1990
Posts: 1211
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:49 pm

Re: Business Law

Postby john1990 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:18 pm

guano wrote:
john1990 wrote:So the answer appears to be in house for a business. You cant really guess how many were from a family connection

not gonna guess... the answer is that only about 3% of the class got those kind of jobs.
What I can tell you is that those kind of jobs generally fall into 2 categories:
1) big businesses; they generally prefer the better ranked schools, though most have stopped hiring fresh grads and instead take people who've had a few years experience at a firm
2) small businesses that rarely hire fresh grads, and usually do so through connections (because your uncle vouched for you, or your parents' best friend watched you grow up)

Got any family friends with their own business?


What about mid sized. Also you just effectively guessed all of them....

User avatar
guano
Posts: 2268
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:49 am

Re: Business Law

Postby guano » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:51 pm

john1990 wrote:
guano wrote:
john1990 wrote:So the answer appears to be in house for a business. You cant really guess how many were from a family connection

not gonna guess... the answer is that only about 3% of the class got those kind of jobs.
What I can tell you is that those kind of jobs generally fall into 2 categories:
1) big businesses; they generally prefer the better ranked schools, though most have stopped hiring fresh grads and instead take people who've had a few years experience at a firm
2) small businesses that rarely hire fresh grads, and usually do so through connections (because your uncle vouched for you, or your parents' best friend watched you grow up)

Got any family friends with their own business?


What about mid sized. Also you just effectively guessed all of them....

some mid-sized are more like big business, some more like small business. See comments 1 and 2 above.

User avatar
midnight_circus
Posts: 183
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:36 am

Re: Business Law

Postby midnight_circus » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:50 pm

john1990 wrote:
jingosaur wrote:
john1990 wrote:
midnight_circus wrote:To be honest, I think you need more help than an anonymous internet forum can provide.


Well Im in at 4T for free. That's better than being unemployed


I don't think he was referring to help about which law school to attend.


Yea he was mate


No, I wasn't. I've read a lot of the threads you've started (morbid curiosity) and I think you should consider getting counseling.

1. Drop out. 2. Seek medical help. 3. Retake. Then come back and try again.

User avatar
john1990
Posts: 1211
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:49 pm

Re: Business Law

Postby john1990 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:56 pm

john1990 wrote:
jingosaur wrote:
john1990 wrote:
midnight_circus wrote:To be honest, I think you need more help than an anonymous internet forum can provide.



I don't think he was referring to help about which law school to attend.


Yea he was mate


No, I wasn't. I've read a lot of the threads you've started (morbid curiosity) and I think you should consider getting counseling.

1. Drop out. 2. Seek medical help. 3. Retake. Then come back and try again.


You don't get it. He was not. Also medical help for what lol I think you need medical help

03152016
Posts: 9189
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:14 am

Re: Business Law

Postby 03152016 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:59 pm

Page five of that NALP report is very interesting. Looks like most employed grads either had a connection or hung a shingle. Only three grads got a job through OCI. 38% of those lucky enough to be employed are looking for another job.

User avatar
john1990
Posts: 1211
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:49 pm

Re: Business Law

Postby john1990 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:03 pm

Max324 wrote:Page five of that NALP report is very interesting. Looks like most employed grads either had a connection or hung a shingle. Only three grads got a job through OCI. 38% of those lucky enough to be employed are looking for another job.


This isn't about TJSL it was about defining business law. Now can we agree that in house at a business works less hours?




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: haus and 3 guests