Business Law

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Re: Business Law

Postby 20160810 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:54 pm

berndie90 wrote:
holdencaulfield wrote:At OCI you should totally tell interviewers that you want to focus on business law but not corporate law. They will appreciate someone knowing the distinction.

Also be sure to tell them you don't want to work too many hours in a week.

+1

This is solid advice.

californiauser

Postby californiauser » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:54 pm

john1990 wrote:
guano wrote:
john1990 wrote:
guano wrote:the troll is back

I just dont want to work more than 40 hours and don't mind less pay

work retail... or fast food

In the legal field mate

paralegal

john1990

Postby john1990 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:11 pm

how many hours can you expect in corporate in the off chance i get into BU and do well. I hear people talking about 80 hour weeks and that does not seem possible. 60 would be a stretch

guano

Postby guano » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:16 pm

john1990 wrote:
guano wrote:
john1990 wrote:

work retail... or fast food

In the legal field mate

As an extra on Suits

john1990

Postby john1990 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:19 pm

john1990 wrote:
guano wrote:
john1990 wrote:

In the legal field mate

As an extra on Suits

should have gotten a 170

Postby 20160810 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:29 pm

john1990 wrote:how many hours can you expect in corporate in the off chance i get into BU and do well. I hear people talking about 80 hour weeks and that does not seem possible. 60 would be a stretch

It's not worth worrying about

john1990

Postby john1990 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:39 pm

SBL wrote:
john1990 wrote:how many hours can you expect in corporate in the off chance i get into BU and do well. I hear people talking about 80 hour weeks and that does not seem possible. 60 would be a stretch

It's not worth worrying about

Alright i guess ill just gun for BU and corporate then. 166/3.3 should give me a shot

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:40 pm

TCR is to ask your UG Business Law professor.

IgosduIkana

Postby IgosduIkana » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:40 pm

what a strange semi-conversation

guano

Postby guano » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:41 pm

john1990 wrote:[stuff]

What you want, doesn't really exist. There are too many lawyers and not enough jobs to be able to coast at work. If you want to get ahead, you got to put in the time. If you don't want to get ahead, no one wants to hire you. Even for a relatively low paying job, why hire someone who has time constraints when there are literally thousands of other fresh new lawyers who are willing to put in the hours? As a newly minted attorney there is literally nothing you can do that another newly minted attorney can't do just as well.
Once you've got a few years under your belt, you might be able to find an employer who is looking for someone with your skill set, and won't mind you working less busy hours, but that is after you've got some skills, which you only get by working at an entry-level legal job, where you can learn how a lawyer works, and start to specialize in a particular field. If you've gotten experience in construction, you could work in-house at a builder; experience in loans and you could work at a mortgage lender. etc. But those kind of places don't have large legal departments and can't take on unskilled lawyers and train them themselves. And even if they could, they don't have to, because there are enough lawyers who've built up skills elsewhere looking for a change of pace.

Possibly the only way you could manage to snag a 40 hour/wk lawyer job right off the bat is if you go solo. If you can manage to pull in enough business to keep yourself afloat, then that's great.
The problem is, when you start your own business, you'll probably fail. A lot of people have the mentality that working for yourself means not having a boss. It should mean having the toughest boss you'll ever have. Because if you don't have the drive and energy (and motivation) to bust yourself building a successful practice, you are unlikely to be able to build a successful practice. Starting for yourself means you've got to do the work of 3 people: 1 to pull in business, 1 to manage the "office" (paralegal work, bills and billing, buying supplies, etc.), and 1 to do the actual work.
This means working your tail off until you've reached the stage where you can slow down a little (which might be never) or can afford to hire someone else to lighten the load (which might be never).

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:27 pm

john1990 wrote:
should have gotten a 170

You DID claim to have a 170 something, and only after people started asking about it did you admit it was a practice test you took at home, and then you kept insisting it should count because it was under "test day conditions." You claim to have been a 1L at like four schools, and now you want to start at a 5th. If you were real, you would be the biggest clown in law school. Is anyone chasing you with a net?

Seriously, your post history and you not being banned blows my mind.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:47 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:

+1

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:57 pm

john1990 wrote:
SBL wrote:
john1990 wrote:No corporate law refers only to businesses in the corporate format. Business law does the same thing but for different types of business entities. Sorry if i'm not taking your pop quizzes seriously

You realize that the things you're saying are objectively nonsense right?

What do you want me to do take out my business prelaw book and list off chapters lol

got a good lulz out of this.

john1990

Postby john1990 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:58 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
john1990 wrote:
should have gotten a 170

You DID claim to have a 170 something, and only after people started asking about it did you admit it was a practice test you took at home, and then you kept insisting it should count because it was under "test day conditions." You claim to have been a 1L at like four schools, and now you want to start at a 5th. If you were real, you would be the biggest clown in law school. Is anyone chasing you with a net?

In at Emory went over to Brooklyn in 12'. dropped Brooklyn and was in at W+L in 13' until i violated a seat deposit waiver by trying to get back in at Brooklyn. Brooklyn then dropped me too to honor W+L's deposit waiver program. The wording on that waiver was suspect. Now I'm in at TJSL and I guess trying for BU. I thought it would be smart to net a safety, hopefully BU wont mind me withdrawing from brooklyn. TBH W+L and Brooklyn simply withdrew offers so there's nothing to disclose for 13' but it was a mess

john1990

Postby john1990 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:58 pm

stillwater wrote:
john1990 wrote:
SBL wrote:
john1990 wrote:No corporate law refers only to businesses in the corporate format. Business law does the same thing but for different types of business entities. Sorry if i'm not taking your pop quizzes seriously

You realize that the things you're saying are objectively nonsense right?

What do you want me to do take out my business prelaw book and list off chapters lol

got a good lulz out of this.

Its all the same topics.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:00 pm

so if you would only do transactions outside of the "corporate format", will you sagely turn away small business work from businesses that are incorporated because nothing in the corporate format gets past this gatekeeper?

john1990

Postby john1990 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:00 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:

+1

To answer this question; Its probably because no one post/thread of mine has been that bad. Also I've been pretty honest with posts. I just have had some differing opinions and circumstances

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:02 pm

john1990 wrote:In at Emory went over to Brooklyn in 12'. dropped Brooklyn and was in at W+L in 13' until i violated a seat deposit waiver by trying to get back in at Brooklyn. Brooklyn then dropped me too to honor W+L's deposit waiver program. The wording on that waiver was suspect. Now I'm in at TJSL and I guess trying for BU. I thought it would be smart to net a safety, hopefully BU wont mind me withdrawing from brooklyn. TBH W+L and Brooklyn simply withdrew offers so there's nothing to disclose for 13' but it was a mess

What happened to Pace?

john1990

Postby john1990 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:04 pm

stillwater wrote:so if you would only do transactions outside of the "corporate format", will you sagely turn away small business work from businesses that are incorporated because nothing in the corporate format gets past this gatekeeper?

Well I think its more of a regular client base that various firms use. Even if a firm has some corporations in their client base they may not have as many. Most Law schools report salary medians for "business law" and this varies from corporate law and I suspect that this would be the reason why. It is a firm which deals primarily with businesses which aren't corporations. Its smaller business and you would think less work

john1990

Postby john1990 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:05 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
john1990 wrote:In at Emory went over to Brooklyn in 12'. dropped Brooklyn and was in at W+L in 13' until i violated a seat deposit waiver by trying to get back in at Brooklyn. Brooklyn then dropped me too to honor W+L's deposit waiver program. The wording on that waiver was suspect. Now I'm in at TJSL and I guess trying for BU. I thought it would be smart to net a safety, hopefully BU wont mind me withdrawing from brooklyn. TBH W+L and Brooklyn simply withdrew offers so there's nothing to disclose for 13' but it was a mess

What happened to Pace?

That was for spring of 14. I was planning on Pace but ended up at TJSL since they gave me more money. Pace only offered 24k/yr It was dissapointing

midnight_circus

Postby midnight_circus » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:06 pm

To be honest, I think you need more help than an anonymous internet forum can provide.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:08 pm

john1990 wrote:
stillwater wrote:so if you would only do transactions outside of the "corporate format", will you sagely turn away small business work from businesses that are incorporated because nothing in the corporate format gets past this gatekeeper?

Well I think its more of a regular client base that various firms use. Even if a firm has some corporations in their client base they may not have as many. Most Law schools report salary medians for "business law" and this varies from corporate law and I suspect that this would be the reason why. It is a firm which deals primarily with businesses which aren't corporations. Its smaller business and you would think less work

this makes no sense, at all.

john1990

Postby john1990 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:08 pm

midnight_circus wrote:To be honest, I think you need more help than an anonymous internet forum can provide.

Well Im in at 4T for free. That's better than being unemployed

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:09 pm

john1990 wrote:
midnight_circus wrote:To be honest, I think you need more help than an anonymous internet forum can provide.

Well Im in at 4T for free. That's better than being unemployed

but worse than losing 3 years of income to get a piece of paper and no jerb.

john1990

Postby john1990 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:09 pm

stillwater wrote:
john1990 wrote:

this makes no sense, at all.

Where did I lose you

Return to “Choosing a Law School”