Business Law

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
john1990

Re: Business Law

Postby john1990 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:47 pm

I'm not interested in defining business law. I know that business law gets its own listing on career statistics and is a distinct section of law. I do not have a list of law firms of any kind that I am going to research. If answering this question requires research on your behalf then that would be more understandable.

The primary distinction that I hope to find is that business law is not as intensive and does work for companies which are not incorporated. They consist of smaller firms with a smaller workload. I am not interested in working an 80 hour week

john1990

Postby john1990 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:50 pm

Here is a firm near me: Tully Rinckey. They focus on business law and don't work primarily with large corporations

john1990

Postby john1990 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:50 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Let's try it this way. Who do you expect to work for doing "business but not corporate" law, doing what exactly?

bankruptcy filings

UnderrateOverachieve

Postby UnderrateOverachieve » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:01 pm

john1990 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:Let's try it this way. Who do you expect to work for doing "business but not corporate" law, doing what exactly?

bankruptcy filings

Which would be Bankruptcy Law. That actually does have its own practice group at many places. They don't call it business law.

So what you are asking is, what would be a good school that has the ability to assist you in picking a career that tends to fall under the catch-all of "business law" that is not corporate litigation?

Postby 20160810 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:05 pm

john1990 wrote:I'm not interested in defining business law. I know that business law gets its own listing on career statistics and is a distinct section of law. I do not have a list of law firms of any kind that I am going to research. If answering this question requires research on your behalf then that would be more understandable.

The primary distinction that I hope to find is that business law is not as intensive and does work for companies which are not incorporated. They consist of smaller firms with a smaller workload. I am not interested in working an 80 hour week

So you're interested in making a living doing something you cannot define?

Makes sense to me.

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:06 pm

UnderrateOverachieve wrote:
john1990 wrote:

bankruptcy filings

Which would be Bankruptcy Law. That actually does have its own practice group at many places. They don't call it business law.

So what you are asking is, what would be a good school that has the ability to assist you in picking a career that tends to fall under the catch-all of "business law" that is not corporate litigation?

Or Transactional work. And that doesn't require more than 40 hours / week.

Also mega lulz at calling Bankruptcy "Business Law"

UnderrateOverachieve

Postby UnderrateOverachieve » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:10 pm

rickgrimes69 wrote:
john1990 wrote:

bankruptcy filings

Well it is legal work... for a business?

twenty

Postby twenty » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:13 pm

How's Pace/TJLS working out for you?

If you decide to imagine yourself going to BU as well, I'm going to need to figure out a keyboard shortcut.

Postby 20160810 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:17 pm

rickgrimes69 wrote:
john1990 wrote:

bankruptcy filings

Egregious anti restructuring trolling

john1990

Postby john1990 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:27 pm

SBL wrote:
john1990 wrote:I'm not interested in defining business law. I know that business law gets its own listing on career statistics and is a distinct section of law. I do not have a list of law firms of any kind that I am going to research. If answering this question requires research on your behalf then that would be more understandable.

So you're interested in making a living doing something you cannot define?

Makes sense to me.

willnot

john1990

Postby john1990 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:28 pm

rickgrimes69 wrote:
john1990 wrote:

bankruptcy filings

It is business law right out of the textbook

john1990

Postby john1990 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:30 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:How's Pace/TJLS working out for you?

If you decide to imagine yourself going to BU as well, I'm going to need to figure out a keyboard shortcut.

TJSL and they love me there

Ill let you know how the cycle goes then

holdencaulfield

Postby holdencaulfield » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:43 pm

At OCI you should totally tell interviewers that you want to focus on business law but not corporate law. They will appreciate someone knowing the distinction.

Also be sure to tell them you don't want to work too many hours in a week.

berndie90

Postby berndie90 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:49 pm

holdencaulfield wrote:At OCI you should totally tell interviewers that you want to focus on business law but not corporate law. They will appreciate someone knowing the distinction.

+1

john1990

Postby john1990 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:51 pm

holdencaulfield wrote:At OCI you should totally tell interviewers that you want to focus on business law but not corporate law. They will appreciate someone knowing the distinction.

I will. How do you expect to work 80 hours and have any kind of life. Do you plan on not having weekends or will you be working 16 hour days

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:04 pm

To be slightly serious (I can't help it): OP, the distinction you draw between business law and corporate law is not one that law schools draw. And every law school in the country will prepare you to do business/corporate law (to the extent that law school prepares you to do anything). To the extent you're asking whether you can get a job at a smaller firm that won't work you so hard if you go to BU: maybe, but non-biglaw firm hiring is much less predictable than biglaw hiring, and more subject to the whims of the market. So their hiring is often more about networking and connections than about pedigree, but they're very hard to predict. Such jobs are also a bit like unicorns. Law is a service industry that generally requires long hours. Often, small firms work you just as many hours as the big ones, they just pay much less. Regardless, though, you want to go to a school with the best employment statistics you can, to maximize your chances of getting a job.

holdencaulfield

Postby holdencaulfield » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:05 pm

john1990 wrote:

I will. How do you expect to work 80 hours and have any kind of life. Do you plan on not having weekends or will you be working 16 hour days

I don't, brah. I work about 45 hours/week and bill 35-40 hrs a week...doing mostly corporate law and tax law.

For now, don't worry about how many hours you'll work; worry about 1) getting into a decent school without having to take on a mountain of debt, 2) finding ANY gainful employment as a lawyer, and 3) passing the bar. After all that, you can worry about having to work too many hours.

californiauser

Postby californiauser » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:06 pm

OCI at Thomas Jefferson School of Law?

john1990

Postby john1990 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:11 pm

californiauser wrote:

OCI at Thomas Jefferson School of Law?

I plan on dropping from TJSL and reapplying. Otherwise yes they have OCI although there is only JAGS and one other firm

guano

Postby guano » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:15 pm

the troll is back

john1990

Postby john1990 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:17 pm

guano wrote:the troll is back

I just dont want to work more than 40 hours and don't mind less pay

guano

Postby guano » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:28 pm

john1990 wrote:

work retail... or fast food

john1990

Postby john1990 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:34 pm

guano wrote:
john1990 wrote:

In the legal field mate

guano

Postby guano » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:39 pm

john1990 wrote:
guano wrote:
john1990 wrote:

In the legal field mate

Traffic court

john1990

Postby john1990 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:48 pm

guano wrote:
guano wrote:
john1990 wrote:

In the legal field mate

Traffic court

This is a business law thread. Would tax law be better? I have a background in accounting

Return to “Choosing a Law School”