Business Law Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
guano

Gold

Re: Business Law

Post by guano » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:09 pm

john1990 wrote:
stillwater wrote:so if you would only do transactions outside of the "corporate format", will you sagely turn away small business work from businesses that are incorporated because nothing in the corporate format gets past this gatekeeper?
Well I think its more of a regular client base that various firms use. Even if a firm has some corporations in their client base they may not have as many. Most Law schools report salary medians for "business law" and this varies from corporate law and I suspect that this would be the reason why. It is a firm which deals primarily with businesses which aren't corporations. Its smaller business and you would think less work
most small businesses are corporations

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:10 pm

john1990 wrote:
Where did I lose you
at hello

john1990

Silver

Post by john1990 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:10 pm

stillwater wrote:
john1990 wrote:
midnight_circus wrote:To be honest, I think you need more help than an anonymous internet forum can provide.
Well Im in at 4T for free. That's better than being unemployed
but worse than losing 3 years of income to get a piece of paper and no jerb.
I was unemployed so there's technically no opportunity cost

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:10 pm

john1990 wrote:
stillwater wrote:
john1990 wrote:
stillwater wrote:so if you would only do transactions outside of the "corporate format", will you sagely turn away small business work from businesses that are incorporated because nothing in the corporate format gets past this gatekeeper?
Well I think its more of a regular client base that various firms use. Even if a firm has some corporations in their client base they may not have as many. Most Law schools report salary medians for "business law" and this varies from corporate law and I suspect that this would be the reason why. It is a firm which deals primarily with businesses which aren't corporations. Its smaller business and you would think less work
this makes no sense, at all.
Where did I lose you
see guano above.

john1990

Silver

Post by john1990 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:10 pm

guano wrote:
john1990 wrote:
Where did I lose you
at hello
Whose a pretty girl

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

john1990

Silver

Post by john1990 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:11 pm

stillwater wrote:
stillwater wrote:
john1990 wrote:

this makes no sense, at all.
Where did I lose you
see guano above.
Your a pretty girl

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:13 pm

Thanks man

jingosaur

Gold

Post by jingosaur » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:37 am

john1990 wrote:
midnight_circus wrote:To be honest, I think you need more help than an anonymous internet forum can provide.
I don't think he was referring to help about which law school to attend.

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:12 am

If you are a real person who is actually a first-year student at Thomas Jefferson School of Law, I suggest that you consider dropping out and working for a year as a paralegal while studying to retake the LSAT. This will hopefully give you an idea of what the firm culture is like in regards to hours worked, subject matter, etc., and it will help improve your employment prospects by allowing you to go to a better school. With a 3.3 GPA, you could get a pretty legit scholarship from some decent schools (even some T14 probably) if you can pull your LSAT score up. Although it would be wise to leave TJSL because of their employment rates, there is only 1 school near Boston that is worth paying for, and it isn't BC or BU. :P

Lastly, this.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:06 am

john1990 wrote:
Is it possible you are confusing salaries for those going into business with salaries for "business law?" I've seen the former but never the latter. Can you provide an example of a salary report that has a section for business law in which this refers to smaller firms serving unincorporated businesses?

WanderingPondering

Bronze

Post by WanderingPondering » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:31 am

Bizzare thread is bizzare.

OP: maybe take some time off and work? You said you used to be an accountant? I'd do that for a couple years and see where you are then. Probably more lucrative and stable than rolling the dice with BU...

john1990

Silver

Post by john1990 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:31 pm

jingosaur wrote:
john1990 wrote:
Yea he was mate

john1990

Silver

Post by john1990 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:33 pm

Regulus wrote:If you are a real person who is actually a first-year student at Thomas Jefferson School of Law, I suggest that you consider dropping out and working for a year as a paralegal while studying to retake the LSAT. This will hopefully give you an idea of what the firm culture is like in regards to hours worked, subject matter, etc., and it will help improve your employment prospects by allowing you to go to a better school. With a 3.3 GPA, you could get a pretty legit scholarship from some decent schools (even some T14 probably) if you can pull your LSAT score up. Although it would be wise to leave TJSL because of their employment rates, there is only 1 school near Boston that is worth paying for, and it isn't BC or BU. :P

Lastly, this.
I have already taken time of to work and could not improve my lsat score

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

john1990

Silver

Post by john1990 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:36 pm

kwais wrote:
john1990 wrote:
Is it possible you are confusing salaries for those going into business with salaries for "business law?" I've seen the former but never the latter. Can you provide an example of a salary report that has a section for business law in which this refers to smaller firms serving unincorporated businesses?
http://www.tjsl.edu/sites/default/files ... 202012.pdf

Notice the employment categories on page 2 which include "business" This 23% cannot be corporate law at TJSL

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:40 pm

john1990 wrote:

Notice the employment categories on page 2 which include "business" This 23% cannot be corporate law at TJSL

it means they work for a business... which could include such notable employers as walmart and starbucks

edit to be more helpful: look at the bottom. of the "business" jobs, 12% require bar passage, and 33% are JD advantage. That means more than half of "business" jobs are not in any way related to the law

john1990

Silver

Post by john1990 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:46 pm

guano wrote:
john1990 wrote:

it means they work for a business... which could include such notable employers as walmart and starbucks

edit to be more helpful: look at the bottom. of the "business" jobs, 12% require bar passage, and 33% are JD advantage. That means more than half of "business" jobs are not in any way related to the law
Regardless I'm referring to that 50%. Those are the jobs I'm talking about
Last edited by john1990 on Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:49 pm

john1990 wrote:
guano wrote:
john1990 wrote:

Regardless I'm referring to that 50%. Those are the jobs I'm talking about
what 50%?
oh, you mean the 45% of JD advantage/JD required business jobs? That category covers 23% of the class, so you're talking 10% of the class overall.

To break it down, 7% of the class are basically paralegals, 3% are actual lawyers working in-house for some business. How many of those do you think got the job through family connections?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

john1990

Silver

Post by john1990 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:54 pm

So the answer appears to be in house for a business. You cant really guess how many were from a family connection

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:01 pm

john1990 wrote:So the answer appears to be in house for a business. You cant really guess how many were from a family connection
not gonna guess... the answer is that only about 3% of the class got those kind of jobs.
What I can tell you is that those kind of jobs generally fall into 2 categories:
1) big businesses; they generally prefer the better ranked schools, though most have stopped hiring fresh grads and instead take people who've had a few years experience at a firm
2) small businesses that rarely hire fresh grads, and usually do so through connections (because your uncle vouched for you, or your parents' best friend watched you grow up)

Got any family friends with their own business?

john1990

Silver

Post by john1990 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:18 pm

guano wrote:
john1990 wrote:So the answer appears to be in house for a business. You cant really guess how many were from a family connection
not gonna guess... the answer is that only about 3% of the class got those kind of jobs.
What I can tell you is that those kind of jobs generally fall into 2 categories:
1) big businesses; they generally prefer the better ranked schools, though most have stopped hiring fresh grads and instead take people who've had a few years experience at a firm
2) small businesses that rarely hire fresh grads, and usually do so through connections (because your uncle vouched for you, or your parents' best friend watched you grow up)

What about mid sized. Also you just effectively guessed all of them....

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:51 pm

john1990 wrote:
guano wrote:

What about mid sized. Also you just effectively guessed all of them....
some mid-sized are more like big business, some more like small business. See comments 1 and 2 above.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

midnight_circus

Bronze

Post by midnight_circus » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:50 pm

john1990 wrote:
jingosaur wrote:
john1990 wrote:
Yea he was mate
No, I wasn't. I've read a lot of the threads you've started (morbid curiosity) and I think you should consider getting counseling.

1. Drop out. 2. Seek medical help. 3. Retake. Then come back and try again.

john1990

Silver

Post by john1990 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:56 pm

john1990 wrote:
jingosaur wrote:
john1990 wrote:

Yea he was mate
No, I wasn't. I've read a lot of the threads you've started (morbid curiosity) and I think you should consider getting counseling.

1. Drop out. 2. Seek medical help. 3. Retake. Then come back and try again.
You don't get it. He was not. Also medical help for what lol I think you need medical help

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:59 pm

Page five of that NALP report is very interesting. Looks like most employed grads either had a connection or hung a shingle. Only three grads got a job through OCI. 38% of those lucky enough to be employed are looking for another job.

john1990

Silver

Post by john1990 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:03 pm

Max324 wrote:Page five of that NALP report is very interesting. Looks like most employed grads either had a connection or hung a shingle. Only three grads got a job through OCI. 38% of those lucky enough to be employed are looking for another job.
This isn't about TJSL it was about defining business law. Now can we agree that in house at a business works less hours?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”