Is W&L worth going to?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jianggannan
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:50 am

Is W&L worth going to?

Postby jianggannan » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:19 am

It is a very quiet town and the school is beautiful. The job prospect is not good though.

Maybe it is the best law school I can get in.

:?
Last edited by jianggannan on Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: Is W&L worth going?

Postby Nova » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:26 am

If you can get into W&L, you can get into many schools with better job prospects

W&L '12 wrote:•49.2% of graduates were known to be employed in long-term, full-time legal jobs.
•60.8% graduates were employed in long-term jobs.
•61.5% graduates were employed in full-time jobs.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=wl

USNWRankings are meaningless

Ignore them

jianggannan
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:50 am

Re: Is W&L worth going?

Postby jianggannan » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:38 am

Nova wrote:If you can get into W&L, you can get into many schools with better job prospects

W&L '12 wrote:•49.2% of graduates were known to be employed in long-term, full-time legal jobs.
•60.8% graduates were employed in long-term jobs.
•61.5% graduates were employed in full-time jobs.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=wl

USNWRankings are meaningless

Ignore them


I know it's job prospects is not good. if one school employment is bad, does it mean it may have better learning environment or better teachers since it has the same ranking with other schools.

Why do you think USnews rankings are meaningless?

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22805
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Is W&L worth going?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:42 am

USNWR rankings are meaningless because a huge part of the ranking comes from "reputation," meaning USNWR polls law profs/admins about which schools they think are best. Law profs/admins aren't trying to get jobs and rate schools on things like scholarly ability, which has basically no relevance to your average law student.

And there's really no difference in educational quality at the vast majority of law schools. Student quality, maybe, but the profs all went to the same top schools and churn out the same scholarship. Nor does the ranking take teaching ability into account in any way.

User avatar
Clearly
Posts: 4165
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: Is W&L worth going?

Postby Clearly » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:43 am

Don't go to law school.

User avatar
Serett
Posts: 8712
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:06 pm

Re: Is W&L worth going?

Postby Serett » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:47 am

jianggannan wrote:
Nova wrote:If you can get into W&L, you can get into many schools with better job prospects

W&L '12 wrote:•49.2% of graduates were known to be employed in long-term, full-time legal jobs.
•60.8% graduates were employed in long-term jobs.
•61.5% graduates were employed in full-time jobs.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=wl

USNWRankings are meaningless

Ignore them


I know it's job prospects is not good. if one school employment is bad, does it mean it may have better learning environment or better teachers since it has the same ranking with other schools.

Why do you think USnews rankings are meaningless?


They're relatively meaningless for your purposes because the ranking factors you do/should care about are your employment outcomes, while the USNW rankings consider a number of other, tangential inputs. These other inputs should be immaterial to you, at least up until the point you're splitting hairs between two schools with similar employment outlooks, cost, etc. If you want a quiet town near a beautiful school, you can move to and work in any number of college towns without going a couple hundred thousand dollars in debt to maybe have a job. If you want J.D.-required professional employment that can meet a satisfactory standard of living while paying law school debt, then value employment outcomes on LST over USNW rank.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Is W&L worth going?

Postby rad lulz » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:50 am

n
Last edited by rad lulz on Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: Is W&L worth going?

Postby 20160810 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:52 am

jianggannan wrote:It is a very quite town and the school is beautiful. The job prospect is not good though.

Maybe it is the best law school I can get in.

:?

In all seriousness, if this represents your English fluency, you should not go to any law school under any circumstances.

User avatar
Summerz
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 12:45 am

Re: Is W&L worth going?

Postby Summerz » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:59 am

FWIW: The only person I know who attended W&L liked it a lot. She graduated in ’11 (a tough year I hear) and ended up working at a respectable DC firm with a very good salary and bonuses to boot.
I am one of those who believe rankings are instrumental, with that noted, W&L seems to be doing just fine. Plus, if the people I know are any indication on how the legal market is doing, things are looking up (especially compared to ’11)

timbs4339
Posts: 2733
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: Is W&L worth going?

Postby timbs4339 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:57 am

Summerz wrote:Plus, if the people I know are any indication on how the legal market is doing, things are looking up (especially compared to ’11)


That's it everyone. Mods, shut the board down. Professor Campos and Tamanaha can get back to writing about the relevance of 18th Century riparian rights in Tahoe County to modern day claims under the Securities Exhange Act, LST can take those Skadden associate jobs waiting for them. Someone you know got a good job.

BigZuck
Posts: 10852
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Is W&L worth going?

Postby BigZuck » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:59 am

Summerz wrote:FWIW: The only person I know who attended W&L liked it a lot. She graduated in ’11 (a tough year I hear) and ended up working at a respectable DC firm with a very good salary and bonuses to boot.
I am one of those who believe rankings are instrumental, with that noted, W&L seems to be doing just fine. Plus, if the people I know are any indication on how the legal market is doing, things are looking up (especially compared to ’11)


Why would you think that the outcome of one person is representative of the outcomes from that school?

Someone snagged big law from Cooley last year. Doesn't mean that it shouldn't be shut down.

User avatar
Clearly
Posts: 4165
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: Is W&L worth going?

Postby Clearly » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:33 am

SBL wrote:
jianggannan wrote:It is a very quite town and the school is beautiful. The job prospect is not good though.

Maybe it is the best law school I can get in.

:?

In all seriousness, if this represents your English fluency, you should not go to any law school under any circumstances.

Yeah just didn't want to be the one who said it

20141023
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am

Re: Is W&L worth going?

Postby 20141023 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:48 am

.
Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
isuperserial
Posts: 519
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:49 pm

Re: Is W&L worth going?

Postby isuperserial » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:57 am

jianggannan wrote:
Nova wrote:If you can get into W&L, you can get into many schools with better job prospects

W&L '12 wrote:•49.2% of graduates were known to be employed in long-term, full-time legal jobs.
•60.8% graduates were employed in long-term jobs.
•61.5% graduates were employed in full-time jobs.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=wl

USNWRankings are meaningless

Ignore them


I know it's job prospects is not good. if one school employment is bad, does it mean it may have better learning environment or better teachers since it has the same ranking with other schools.

Why do you think USnews rankings are meaningless?


Look, I don't care if it's supreme court justices teaching on the beaches of Waikiki, if I don't get to be a lawyer at the end, then what's the point? If your goal is education for education's sake, study something like philosophy or literature at an undergrad institution for much cheaper. I'm not saying education is not valuable for it's own sake, and you'll probably get a good one at W&L; I'm saying that med school is supposed to make you a doctor, business school is supposed to make you a businessman, and law school is supposed to make you a lawyer.

If you want a ranking system that, while still imperfect, is at least a step in the right direction, look at the ATL (Above the Law) rankings: http://abovethelaw.com/careers/law-school-rankings/

jarofsoup
Posts: 1951
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:41 am

Re: Is W&L worth going?

Postby jarofsoup » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:42 am

W&L is in rural VA and not UVA. I do not see the point....I would say for this region:

1) Get into UVA
2) Go to a GULC or GW w/ $$ if you can

A majority of the opportunities in the Mid-Atlantic market are in the beltway. I do not think Richmond or rural VA are a bustling legal markets.

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: Is W&L worth going?

Postby 20160810 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:40 am

jianggannan wrote:
Nova wrote:If you can get into W&L, you can get into many schools with better job prospects

W&L '12 wrote:•49.2% of graduates were known to be employed in long-term, full-time legal jobs.
•60.8% graduates were employed in long-term jobs.
•61.5% graduates were employed in full-time jobs.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=wl

USNWRankings are meaningless

Ignore them


I know it's job prospects is not good. if one school employment is bad, does it mean it may have better learning environment or better teachers since it has the same ranking with other schools.

Why do you think USnews rankings are meaningless?

Ok now I know the op wasn't just casually typed. Do not go to law school anywhere until you improve your English. Seriously. You will get absolutely slaughtered grade wise.

timbs4339
Posts: 2733
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: Is W&L worth going?

Postby timbs4339 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:40 pm

isuperserial wrote:Look, I don't care if it's supreme court justices teaching on the beaches of Waikiki,


This is a surprisingly common part of the scam. Roberts teaches a class in Malta funded by NELS and Kennedy and Kagan teach in Salzburg, Austria courtesy of McGeorge SOL.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/0 ... 47506.html
http://www.mcgeorge.edu/News/Justices_K ... rogram.htm

User avatar
john1990
Posts: 1211
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:49 pm

Re: Is W&L worth going?

Postby john1990 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:14 pm

Did they give you the 40k/yr?

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: Is W&L worth going?

Postby stillwater » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:27 pm

john1990 wrote:Did they give you the 40k/yr?


(tries to justify his own decisions. the glove fits.)

User avatar
john1990
Posts: 1211
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:49 pm

Re: Is W&L worth going?

Postby john1990 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:37 pm

stillwater wrote:
john1990 wrote:Did they give you the 40k/yr?


(tries to justify his own decisions. the glove fits.)


if the glove fits you must attend

Steveloblaw
Posts: 125
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:38 pm

Re: Is W&L worth going?

Postby Steveloblaw » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:51 pm

john1990 wrote:
stillwater wrote:
john1990 wrote:Did they give you the 40k/yr?


(tries to justify his own decisions. the glove fits.)


if the glove fits you must attend


No. No one must go to law school

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9635
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Is W&L worth going?

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:04 pm

Steveloblaw wrote:
john1990 wrote:
stillwater wrote:
john1990 wrote:Did they give you the 40k/yr?


(tries to justify his own decisions. the glove fits.)


if the glove fits you must attend


No. No one must go to law school


I miss the banhammer.

User avatar
john1990
Posts: 1211
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:49 pm

Re: Is W&L worth going?

Postby john1990 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:51 pm

Its not as hostile now :wink:

hyj
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:08 pm

Re: Is W&L worth going?

Postby hyj » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:14 pm

Improve your English!

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: Is W&L worth going?

Postby Nova » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:15 pm

hyj wrote:Improve your English!

start with is/are




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests