law school and surfing (CALI)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
alexrodriguez

law school and surfing (CALI)

Postby alexrodriguez » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:59 am

I'm from Florida and I'm not familiar with Cali or the surf scene there.

what schools are to close to great surf spots

serious question

anybody familiar with mavericks? what school is closest
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mavericks_%28location%29

Put these in order of best waves near by

Stanford
Berkeley
UCLA
USC

I'm under the impression these are the only schools in Cali worth going to. right?

jarofsoup

Re: law school and surfing (CALI)

Postby jarofsoup » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:14 am

Mavericks is NorCal. So Stanford and Cal are closer. As far as surfing goes both places have their perks. Near SF there are a few places Bolinas and Stinson. There is also Santa Cruz Overall NorCal is colder and SoCal is broeer. SoCals beaches are probably easier to get to minding traffic.

But this is a bad reason to pick a school.

EDIT: If you get into Stanford go to Stanford. Or Cal go to Cal. They are much better schools than USC and UCLA. USC has had better placement in the last few years that UCLA.

UC Davis, Hastings and Irvine are worth looking at if you have ties to the state. There are a lot of really BAD law schools in Cali the tier 2s do not have great placement. The legal markets are small and ultra competitive.

I do not believe that their is a winning argument, however, on which surf is better.

furrrman

Postby furrrman » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:09 am

UC Irvine is close (20 minutes) to Huntington Beach, which is supposed to be good for surfing. I don't surf, but I saw some big waves when I was over there about a month ago. I also remember hearing about some big time surf competition that was held there (or closeby) recently. Given the proximity of UCI this would make a pretty easy day trip for you. Whether or not it is "worth" going to probably depends on your stats and interests, but it does have good placement numbers so going there (especially if you get money) isn't crazy at all.

USC/UCLA you have to deal with shit traffic to get to the coast (although less so if you head out early on a weekend). I think Venice/Malibu are the surf spots there, but don't quote me on that.

twenty

Postby twenty » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:57 pm

UCLA and USC are both about 45+ minutes away from decent surfing. Berkeley and Stanford are an hour-plus, and beyond that NorCal winters make surfing a thing you don't do during most of your school year.

UCI and USD are where it's at.

yeslekkkk

Postby yeslekkkk » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:51 pm

As someone born and raised in San Diego, San Diego is awesome for surfing. I probably would say USD is your best bet if surfing is your first priority. Anything in NorCal won't be that great, because it will mainly just be too cold in the winter (especially when just considering the school year). Many people who come from/have visited Florida and go to the beaches in San Diego are shocked at how cold the water is, even in the summer. It's significantly warmer in San Diego than NorCal.

USD's employment numbers are concerning. I, myself, would love to go to USD. The campus is beautiful, and it's in San Diego. However, I am freaked out by the numbers. UCI is new, so it's hard to predict how it will really do long term. I went and visited UCI, and to be honest, I disliked it. The law school seemed fine, but I REALLY dislike the city of Irvine. I visited and decided to not even apply. I knew I'd rather go to school in San Diego or L.A. if I end up going to school in SoCal. Irvine. Upper middle class. All chain stores. Expensive. No culture. Gross.

And OP, I understand why this is a consideration. You want to be happy and thrive while in law school and that might mean being in close proximity to waves. Your best bet is to go to law school somewhere in California and be willing to make day/weekend trips to surf. Everyone else, you just don't understand.

yeslekkkk

Postby yeslekkkk » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:54 pm

Also, OP, NEVER SAY CALI. People in/from California never say Cali. It's a dead give-away that you're an outsider.

twenty

Postby twenty » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:02 pm

As sort of an off-topic to the above, you don't have to live in Irvine (or anywhere close to Irvine) if you dislike the city that much. Santa Ana has a lot more culture, and also a lot more crime -- and most places in Santa Ana are less than 30 minutes away from UCI.

t-14orbust

Postby t-14orbust » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:05 pm

yeslekkkk wrote:Also, OP, NEVER SAY CALI. People in/from California never say Cali. It's a dead give-away that you're an outsider.

+1

Postby 20160810 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:07 pm

t-14orbust wrote:
yeslekkkk wrote:Also, OP, NEVER SAY CALI. People in/from California never say Cali. It's a dead give-away that you're an outsider.

+1

Yup

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:31 pm

You should definitely go to USC over Stanford for the surfing.

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:33 pm

Norcal for surfing?

Snowboarding? Most definitely Norcal > Socal.

Also, this:

And this:

twentypercentmore wrote:UCI and USD are where it's at.

hikensurf

Postby hikensurf » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:47 am

As much as I hate the phrase "Cali", this statement is objectively false.

drevo

Postby drevo » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:24 am

ManoftheHour wrote:Norcal for surfing?

trolllaugh.img

I'm not a surfer but having grown up in Nor Cal and currently living in San Diego this doesn't necessarily seem like a true depiction. Yes, much more of my friends down here surf and I would not be shocked if objectively the beaches are better for surfing than up north. However, I have plenty of friends up north who surf in Santa Cruz and other places and love it.

I am well aware your response is more likely the typical Southern Californian bashing on Nor Cal (as happens vice versa) but to give someone from out of state the idea that Nor Cal doesn't have a viable surf scene would be a lie. But then again I grew up going to beaches in NorCal and cold is a damn under statement when describing the water.

As for the "Cali" sentiment, no doubt there are some preteens/idiot Californians who use the term but I do agree that it is FAR from being accepted by most of us Californians. But I'll take someone saying "Cali" any day over someone calling SF "Frisco"

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:27 am

There is pretty much surf spots from San Diego to Humboldt county. For the love of god do not pick a school for this reason. It would be hella dumb.

yeslekkkk

Postby yeslekkkk » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:16 am

hikensurf wrote:

Interesting... what makes you think differently?

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:37 am

yeslekkkk wrote:
hikensurf wrote:

Cause some Calibros say Cali.

LA/OC native here, never said "Cali" until I lived outside the state. I prefer "SoCal" pr "NorCal"/"BayArea" but when speaking more generally, it has occasional uses.

yeslekkkk

Postby yeslekkkk » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:00 am

jbagelboy wrote:
yeslekkkk wrote:
hikensurf wrote:

Cause some Calibros say Cali.

LA/OC native here, never said "Cali" until I lived outside the state. I prefer "SoCal" pr "NorCal"/"BayArea" but when speaking more generally, it has occasional uses.

oh yes, bros. I usually don't think of them as real people, so I don't count them. I'm a San Diego native. Correction: if you say Cali, you are either a) bro or b) not from CA. hahaha. no big deal. I accept that some people might say Cali now. I can't really stereotype every person in a gigantic state I guess. But still don't do it!

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:48 am

http://magicseaweed.com/photoLab/viewPh ... ntext=spot

bay area schools

also, I'm a native san diegan and would never say cali in real life but on these boards spelling out california gets tedious.

yeslekkkk

Postby yeslekkkk » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:09 am

FlanAl wrote:http://magicseaweed.com/photoLab/viewPhoto.php?photoId=309642&context=spot

bay area schools

also, I'm a native san diegan and would never say cali in real life but on these boards spelling out california gets tedious.

When I'm tired of typing out California, I type CA. Solution! Even shorter!

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:57 pm

drevo wrote:I'm not a surfer

Stopped reading after that.

Bro, I don't rock climb but I'm not going to tell other people how great SoCal is for rock climbing. I don't think you truly know unless you do it. I'm a pretty hardcore surfer/snowboarder.

Surfing: SoCal > NorCal period
Snowboarding: NorCal > SoCal period

It's as simple as that. I get that you're super hella NorCal and shit, but come on. I love SoCal but you won't see me saying that Big Bear/Snow Summit and Mt. High are as good as Mammoth (up in NorCal, btw). If I had the option (OP has the option of choosing which place to surf) of snowboarding in NorCal or SoCal, I'd pick NorCal every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

But the more importantly:

jarofsoup wrote:For the love of god do not pick a school for this reason. It would be hella dumb.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:03 am

ManoftheHour wrote:
I'm a pretty hardcore surfer/snowboarder.

Surfing: SoCal > NorCal period

Really? I'm a surfer who has lived in both SoCal and NorCal. I prefer NorCal, which is less crowded and has bigger waves.

SoCal is warmer. Unlike in NorCal, you don't have to wear a wet suit year round, which is nice.

I intend no offense to self-proclaimed "hardcore surfer" ManoftheHour, but most of the hardcore surfers I know prefer NorCal, while most of the casual/beginner surfers I know prefer SoCal. It depends on what you value as a surfer.

sandwich

Postby sandwich » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:31 pm

rpupkin wrote:It depends on what you value as a surfer.

I think this is important. I've lived/surfed in both norcal and socal, and I too prefer norcal. I don't think many people would argue that there are more spots with better waves more often in southern california, but I'm happy to trade having fewer choices of viable spots that aren't as good nearly as often (so expect to drive... my home "break" is a joke, and I find myself driving to santa cruz all to much) for fewer people and more of a size range. within 30 minutes of san francisco, there really could be perfect knee-high waves at Bolinas, perfect chest high waves in pacifica, perfect DOH waves at OB, and perfect 40+ foot waves at mav's--all at the same time.

The size thing happens relatively often. The perfect thing... not so much. But, you know, in theory...

But, OP, this is a silly reason to choose a school. Before really doing my research, I seriously considered pepperdine, because if you can stomach the crowds, there's really no better school for surfing. depending on your goals, pepperdine with a good (well... great) scholly might be an option. do you surf now? What's your drive like? it's seriously a bummer to leave from Berkeley and drive for an hour in commute traffic because surfline says OB is firing and you get there 5 minutes too late and it's mush. So then, you have to drive down the coast and hope somewhere is decent, and you often find yourself in santa cruz 2 hours later, starving and sad, and you miss class. and when you miss class, you fail out of law school. and when you fail out of law school, you get a job at taco bell and have to eat your cats to survive. Don't eat your cats. Get direct TV.

dosto

Postby dosto » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:37 pm

Last edited by dosto on Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:14 pm

dosto wrote:
drevo wrote:As for the "Cali" sentiment, no doubt there are some preteens/idiot Californians who use the term but I do agree that it is FAR from being accepted by most of us Californians. But I'll take someone saying "Cali" any day over someone calling SF "Frisco"

Yes and "hella" "Cali" people in "Frisco" hate "San Fran" as well.

Yeah. Usually call it SF or "the city." Never never Frisco or San Fran.

phillywc

Postby phillywc » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:50 pm

I'm not sure whose alt you are sandwich, but I am enjoying you thus far.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”