HYS vs CCN $$$

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
justinp

Re: HYS vs CCN $$$

Postby justinp » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:17 pm

This thread is terrible, but I figured I'd chime in as someone who picked Harvard over a Hamilton. Worked out great and I'm skeptical that I'd have the same outcomes at CLS. See copy paste from a different thread below for my general thinking on the decision. Pm if you want more details.

COPYPASTA: Don't regret it at all, but that's largely a function of what I wanted to do. Agreed w/ above poster that if you want NYC biglaw then you should almost certainly take the Hamilton/Rubenstein(? the UChi one...) if you get it. (And obvi if you want Chicago biglaw and get offered a Rubenstein, run don't walk.) But if you want to practice in a competitive secondary market (Atlanta, Seattle, etc.) the HLS network makes a huge difference. Every top firm in a decent-sized American city has a couple HLS grads around who for whatever reason wanted to go back to their/their spouse's home city. That's not really the case for most other schools, which despite national placement ability do tend to open fewer doors in small, competitive markets. Case in point: one of the top TX firms has an Austin summer class this year composed only of HLS students. END

I'd also add that if you want a high end litigation boutique HYS takes you MUCH farther than CCN. Again that's not relevant to everyone but it was relevant to me.

Postby 20141023 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:42 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:27 pm

justinp wrote:This thread is terrible, but I figured I'd chime in as someone who picked Harvard over a Hamilton. Worked out great and I'm skeptical that I'd have the same outcomes at CLS. See copy paste from a different thread below for my general thinking on the decision. Pm if you want more details.

COPYPASTA: Don't regret it at all, but that's largely a function of what I wanted to do. Agreed w/ above poster that if you want NYC biglaw then you should almost certainly take the Hamilton/Rubenstein(? the UChi one...) if you get it. (And obvi if you want Chicago biglaw and get offered a Rubenstein, run don't walk.) But if you want to practice in a competitive secondary market (Atlanta, Seattle, etc.) the HLS network makes a huge difference. Every top firm in a decent-sized American city has a couple HLS grads around who for whatever reason wanted to go back to their/their spouse's home city. That's not really the case for most other schools, which despite national placement ability do tend to open fewer doors in small, competitive markets. Case in point: one of the top TX firms has an Austin summer class this year composed only of HLS students. END

I'd also add that if you want a high end litigation boutique HYS takes you MUCH farther than CCN. Again that's not relevant to everyone but it was relevant to me.

Do you mind posting the cost difference or about how much debt you have from Harvard and how much you would have owed if you went to Columbia? I'm just curious, because to me the cost matters. But I wanted NYC biglaw transactional practice, so I'm really happy as well with my choice and my freedom from loan payments.

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:50 am

Thanks for these gems. :)

crit_racer

Postby crit_racer » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:56 am

Just take the money, man. You'll thank me when you realize how much working biglaw sucks and want out after a year

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:15 am

After all of this talk the end result is the same.

If your goal is biglaw, then CCN without a doubt.

If your goal is PI/bigfed/academia, then it's debatable between the two.

/end thread

smaug_

Postby smaug_ » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:09 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:After all of this talk the end result is the same.

If your goal is biglaw, then CCN without a doubt.

If your goal is PI/bigfed/academia, then it's debatable between the two.

/end thread

More likely, if your goal is immediate bigfed or academia and you can't handle the idea of something else, you shouldn't go to law school.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:37 pm

smaug wrote:More likely, if your goal is immediate bigfed or academia and you can't handle the idea of something else, you shouldn't go to law school.

:roll:

Return to “Choosing a Law School”