Howard law v. Loyola University Chicago Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
redcrosse

New

Re: Howard law v. Loyola University Chicago

Post by redcrosse » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:54 am

Strongfaithgirl wrote:Hey guys Loyola is ranked higher but not attractive for big law whereas I hear that Howard is. Which school would you choose? why? Better big law opportunities in Chicago or dc?
Do the HUSL.

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:06 am

Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Strongfaithgirl

New

Post by Strongfaithgirl » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:16 am

TheSpanishMain wrote:
Strongfaithgirl wrote:T14 is NOT the end all be all
True, but you implied you wanted Big Law. Getting Big Law is VASTLY more difficult outside of the T14, particularly that far outside of it. If we were talking about a Vanderbilt or a Texas or an Emory, that might be okay at the right price. Loyola or Howard? No.

You either need to A) accept that you won't get Big Law from either of these schools, and revise your goals. or B) Retake the LSAT.
Medium level firm
Last edited by Strongfaithgirl on Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Strongfaithgirl

New

Post by Strongfaithgirl » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:16 am

THANKS! :lol: :lol: :lol:

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:12 pm

Strongfaithgirl wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:
True, but you implied you wanted Big Law. Getting Big Law is VASTLY more difficult outside of the T14, particularly that far outside of it. If we were talking about a Vanderbilt or a Texas or an Emory, that might be okay at the right price. Loyola or Howard? No.

You either need to A) accept that you won't get Big Law from either of these schools, and revise your goals. or B) Retake the LSAT.
As a double minority the statistics that you all have referenced does not apply
I don't think the URM thing works the way you think it does, but you seem like you've got it worked out, so...good luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BullShitWithBravado

Bronze

Post by BullShitWithBravado » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:23 pm

Strongfaithgirl wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:

While being a URM may give you a slight bump when it comes to legal employment, it won't come close to guaranteeing you a job coming out of law school. I personally know URMs, including AA URMs, graduating from higher ranked schools who are jobless right now.

URMs get the biggest bump when getting into law school. If you're a double-URM, that's even more of a reason to retake because there's a good chance that you won't have to improve your numbers by that much to get into a better school. Try not to get offended when people tell you to retake and aim for the T-14…the advice is meant to be encouraging, not mocking.

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:52 am

Actually, the T14 is the end all. And I go to a school that is Top 40. Retake.

Typhoon24

Silver

Post by Typhoon24 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:21 am

nothingtosee wrote:Howard, if you're looking at the academic hip-hop jurisprudence route.

:lol:

Also great avatar, she and her wide-chinned predecessor haunted my LSAT dreams.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:27 am

Strongfaithgirl wrote:
:roll: :roll:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nebula666

Silver

Post by nebula666 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:58 pm

don't go to law school this uninformed

jingosaur

Gold

Post by jingosaur » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:58 pm

Strongfaithgirl wrote: As a double minority the statistics that you all have referenced does not apply
I thought this:
Kind of similar to special snowflake.

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:00 pm

Neither for free. That applies to everyone, including green transsexual female Martians from an impoverished country on planet Saturn that are first time college graduates that experienced extraordinary discrimination during their lifetime (no offense to any of these groups - I'm just being sure that I cover everything). Don't go to those two places.

PepperJack

Silver

Post by PepperJack » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:45 am

KatyMarie wrote:
Gooner91 wrote:
KatyMarie wrote:Hmmm, I don't really know anything about either of those schools....Howard is on this list if it makes you feel any better.

http://abovethelaw.com/2011/03/law-scho ... the-cheap/

Did you get scholarships to either? Since job prospects are going to be pretty tough at either, it's a good idea to improve enough so that you graduate with no, or very little debt.
I wonder how placement is for students at Howard who are not AA. Does anybody have any statistics on this?
No clue. I know two practicing attorneys who went to Howard, but they're both AA women.
I met an attorney at Skadden who was also an AA woman from Howard. She was very beautiful and personable, however, and my guess is she graded onto law review even though that never came up. My understanding is that Howard is only valuable if one is an AA hire, because you interview with firms specifically coming there over much higher ranked schools just to consider AA hires. There is definitely a major boost in hiring for AA's, but you need to consider that for the vast majority of AA's at sub-tier 1 law schools, law school does not produce a net positive outcome. The boost only happens if you're valuable to them for more than just being black. The AA is just a bonus, not going to make a median TTT grad employed.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

PepperJack

Silver

Post by PepperJack » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:53 am

BullShitWithBravado wrote:
Strongfaithgirl wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:

While being a URM may give you a slight bump when it comes to legal employment, it won't come close to guaranteeing you a job coming out of law school. I personally know URMs, including AA URMs, graduating from higher ranked schools who are jobless right now.

URMs get the biggest bump when getting into law school. If you're a double-URM, that's even more of a reason to retake because there's a good chance that you won't have to improve your numbers by that much to get into a better school. Try not to get offended when people tell you to retake and aim for the T-14…the advice is meant to be encouraging, not mocking.
Once in a t-14 that's not necessarily true, but that's another topic. If OP went to a t-14, she'd likely be set if she's not as insufferable as she comes across ITT. AA's consistently get hired from the bottom of the class at most t-14's. However, yes, once outside a certain range of schools they are as f'd as their white peers.

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:55 am

nothingtosee wrote:Howard, if you're looking at the academic hip-hop jurisprudence route.
TITCR by a mile! Lol.

The retake advice is also credited, because it's still an uphill climb regardless.

Seriously, if you absolutely have to pick one, pick Howard. Howard's tuition is much cheaper (what...$24K?). Do you have cheap housing prospects in D.C.?.

But I wouldn't go to any school outside of the T14 right now, and I wouldn't even go to GULC.

jrd93

New

Post by jrd93 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:24 am

Last edited by jrd93 on Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ally Mcbeal

Bronze

Post by Ally Mcbeal » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:10 am

I currently go to Howard for Undergrad and actually, a large number of our law and graduate students are not AA. Before we start making hip hop jokes or assumptions on employment statistics

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:10 am

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:13 am

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:46 pm

sublime wrote:
sparty99 wrote:Actually, the T14 is the end all. And I go to a school that is Top 40. Retake.

This is just silly though. There are a wide range of career goals, personal circumstances, and COA's that can (and often will) make attending outside of the T14 at a discount a good decision.
Good luck with your "wide range of career goals," as there isn't a "wide range of legal job openings."

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:55 pm

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:04 pm

sparty99 wrote:
sublime wrote:
sparty99 wrote:Actually, the T14 is the end all. And I go to a school that is Top 40. Retake.

This is just silly though. There are a wide range of career goals, personal circumstances, and COA's that can (and often will) make attending outside of the T14 at a discount a good decision.
Good luck with your "wide range of career goals," as there isn't a "wide range of legal job openings."
C'mon with the hyperbole. So going to Vanderbilt, Texas, Emory, WUSTL, or UCLA for free is a horrible idea?

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:25 pm

I never said going to a top 25 school for FREE is a bad decision. In fact, if you read my posts in other forms, I have consistently said that law school is only worth it if its a Top 14 or a full or near scholarship at a Top 50. However, I still contend that the T14 is kind of the be all...The doors that Harvard/Stanford open are just not the same as Texas or UCLA. Whether its inside or outside of law.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:27 pm

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:41 pm

sublime wrote:
sparty99 wrote:I never said going to a top 25 school for FREE is a bad decision. In fact, if you read my posts in other forms, I have consistently said that law school is only worth it if its a Top 14 or a full or near scholarship at a Top 50. However, I still contend that the T14 is kind of the be all...The doors that Harvard/Stanford open are just not the same as Texas or UCLA. Whether its inside or outside of law.

.... that isn't what "end all, be all" means....
This really isn't important. What is important is that the OP should not attend Howard or Loyola. Additionally, she should not ignore the fact that a legal degree at a T14 is actually really critical if she wants to have a decent shot at getting big law, which is what she wants. Howard and Loyola have quasi-shitty legal opportunities and so you should not go.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”