Help choose.

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which of these is a better option?

Loyola--Nola: 28,000 scholly
48%
Mercer: 18,000 scholly
17%
Marquette: Sticker
9%
Miami: Sticker
13%
Northeastern: 5,000
13%

Total votes: 23

Bigfish41

Help choose.

Postby Bigfish41 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:57 pm

0L here, new to TLS. I got some offers from the schools above. Can some of you provide some insight/guidance?
For Mercer and Loyola the scholly amount will be renewed for 2L and 3L as long as I'm in good academic standing.

Nova

Re: Help choose.

Postby Nova » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:01 pm

TLS Mods wrote:In order to receive the best feedback in this forum, please provide as much of the following information in your original post as possible:

-The schools you are considering
-The total Cost of Attendance (COA) of each. COA = cost of tuition + fees + books + cost of living (COL) + accumulated interest - scholarships. Here is a helpful calculator.
-How you will be financing your COA, i.e. loans, family, or savings
-Where you are from and where you want to work, and other places where you have significant ties (if any)
-Your general career goals
-Your LSAT/GPA numbers
-How many times you have taken the LSAT
Last edited by Nova on Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

guano

Postby guano » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:06 pm

Loyola--Nola: 28,000 scholly - probably the best of the bunch, but you're effectively relegated to Tulane's sloppy seconds
Mercer: 18,000 scholly - if you're hellbent on law school and DGAF about your future, maybe
Marquette: Sticker - HELL NO
Miami: Sticker - HELL NO
Northeastern: 5,000 - HELL NO

Gooner91

Postby Gooner91 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:08 pm

What are your numbers (LSAT/GPA)?
How many times have you taken the LSAT?
What are your career goals?

Bigfish41

Postby Bigfish41 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:14 pm

LSAT: Low 150's GPA 3.7X; I've only taken the test once. I don't want to sit out this cycle. Mercer's LST score is the highest in comparison to the rest of the schools.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:17 pm

Bigfish41 wrote:LSAT: Low 150's GPA 3.7X; I've only taken the test once. I don't want to sit out this cycle. Mercer's LST score is the highest in comparison to the rest of the schools.

You have to retake. There is a good chance that going to any of these schools would probably be the single worst decision you will ever make in your entire life. Don't punish your gpa by not giving it a deserving LSAT to go along with it.

Gooner91

Postby Gooner91 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:19 pm

Bigfish41 wrote:LSAT: Low 150's GPA 3.7X; I've only taken the test once. I don't want to sit out this cycle. Mercer's LST score is the highest in comparison to the rest of the schools.

You should consider a retake your LSAT is pretty bad.
If you can score in the in the low 160's you are looking much better. Where do you intend to practice?

Why do you not want to sit out the cycle?

Nova

Postby Nova » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:30 pm

Keep studying. Use these materials: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 6&t=195603

Bigfish41

Postby Bigfish41 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:33 pm

I used the powerscore bibles along with a prep course. Must have done something wrong though. I put in four hours daily for two months. Does it penalize your application if I sit out and reapply to the same schools next cycle? I don't know the likelihood of a huge score increase though.

Nova

Postby Nova » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:35 pm

Bigfish41 wrote: Does it penalize your application if I sit out and reapply to the same schools next cycle?

not at all

Nova

Postby Nova » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:36 pm

it took you FOUR YEARS to get your A- GPA. Your GPA is good enough for almost any school in the country.

and you spent TWO MONTHS on the LSAT.... which is the most important part of your law school application.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=211248

Gooner91

Postby Gooner91 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:38 pm

Bigfish41 wrote:I used the powerscore bibles along with a prep course. Must have done something wrong though. I put in four hours daily for two months. Does it penalize your application if I sit out and reapply to the same schools next cycle? I don't know the likelihood of a huge score increase though.

Hopefully you will be applying to better schools. =)
I would look on TLS for tips on increasing your score, there are many people on here who have very good ideas. I wish I found them before I took the LSAT.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:41 pm

Bigfish41 wrote:I used the powerscore bibles along with a prep course. Must have done something wrong though. I put in four hours daily for two months. Does it penalize your application if I sit out and reapply to the same schools next cycle? I don't know the likelihood of a huge score increase though.

Don't apply to the same schools. You need to aim much higher if you want this whole law school venture to have a decent chance of working out for you. You also need to target schools in a market where you have ties. If you apply to schools outside that market it should only be for scholarship negotiation purposes. Right now you have a hodgepodge of random schools which will almost certainly leave you destitute and you probably won't be able to get a job as a lawyer after spending three years of your life in law school.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:42 pm

Gooner91 wrote:

I would look on TLS for tips on increasing your score, there are many people on here who have very good ideas. I wish I found them before I took the LSAT.

Retake

objection_your_honor

Postby objection_your_honor » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:42 pm

I thought that said Northwestern in the poll and nearly shit myself.

EDIT: Raise your standards. With your 3.7 you could be going to schools like Chicago and Columbia with scholarship. Think of it as being paid ~$100,000 to study for 6-8 months and take a multiple choice test, because that's exactly the opportunity you're passing up if you choose not to retake.

That dollar amount is much higher when you consider potential lifetime earnings.
Last edited by objection_your_honor on Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nova

Postby Nova » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:45 pm

OP,

Where are you from?

Where do you want to work?

Where do you have significant ties?

Gooner91

Postby Gooner91 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:47 pm

BigZuck wrote:
Gooner91 wrote:

Retake

I ended up getting accepted to a very good school ED I think it will work out for me ok. However, considering what I have learned on this forum if I did not get in there I probably would not have attended the majority of the other schools I applied to.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:49 pm

Gooner91 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
Gooner91 wrote:

Retake

I ended up getting accepted to a very good school ED I think it will work out for me ok. However, considering what I have learned on this forum if I did not get in there I probably would not have attended the majority of the other schools I applied to.

It's cool bro, I was (quasi) kidding.

Dead serious about the OP needing to retake though.

Bigfish41

Postby Bigfish41 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:59 pm

Nova wrote:OP,

Where are you from?

Where do you want to work?

Where do you have significant ties?

I am from SoCal, what do you mean by ties? I want to be a PD/DA

Bigfish41

Postby Bigfish41 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:00 pm

I guess I'll sit it out. Do some hardcore studying for couple months and retake in October.

bombaysippin

Postby bombaysippin » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:03 pm

objection_your_honor wrote:I thought that said Northwestern in the poll and nearly shit myself.

EDIT: Raise your standards. With your 3.7 you could be going to schools like Chicago and Columbia with scholarship. Think of it as being paid ~$100,000 to study for 6-8 months and take a multiple choice test, because that's exactly the opportunity you're passing up if you choose not to retake.

That dollar amount is much higher when you consider potential lifetime earnings.

I thought Chicago favored higher GPAs unless that LSAT is Median+ ? 3.7 isn't even close to median. Am I missing something or...?

I agree with everyone else that OP should retake. Good luck!

californiauser

Postby californiauser » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:04 pm

flame

Nova

Postby Nova » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:09 pm

Bajam wrote:
objection_your_honor wrote:I thought that said Northwestern in the poll and nearly shit myself.

I thought Chicago favored higher GPAs unless that LSAT is Median+ ? 3.7 isn't even close to median. Am I missing something or...?

OYH is saying CCN is on the table with the right LSAT

objection_your_honor

Postby objection_your_honor » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:13 pm

Bajam wrote:

I was suggesting that OP is in the running for Chicago and its peers with the right LSAT.

EDIT: oops

Bigfish41

Postby Bigfish41 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:21 pm

Thanks everyone! I am leaning more toward a retake. You guys are right, it would be a waste of GPA and I don't see why law school can't wait another year.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”