Fordham w/ $$ or Georgetown

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Fordham w/$$ or Georgetown sticker?

Georgetown sticker
57
68%
Fordham w/$$
27
32%
 
Total votes: 84

User avatar
Mojosodope
Posts: 938
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:33 am

Re: Fordham w/ $$ or Georgetown

Postby Mojosodope » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:30 am

giantsfan564789 wrote:
californiauser wrote:
giantsfan564789 wrote:
midwest17 wrote:People keep trying this strategy on TLS. It never works.



Yeah I guess you're right. I guess choose the better option is useless question on a site where every single person gonna say don't go at all unless its hys.

Thanks for nothin' guys!


No. If you want big law, go to a school that gives you a 50%+ shot at it. If you want PI/gov, go to a school with a great LRAP. I don't understand why people call TLS elitist when it really comes down to job #s. There are many other viable options other than HYS.



Kinda over this thread because I see that I'm just not getting the information I was trying to get. Just for the sake of argument though, I didn't say I only want big law. I said I want 100k salary out of law school. If you look at these official published stats, Georgetown's class of 2012 does, in fact, have more than half of the graduating class earning salaries that exceed 100k. Here are the official published stats which prove my point: http://www.law.georgetown.edu/careers/o ... ry-6-5.pdf

I hope that no one starts with "if you really wanna go to GULC, then just go!! >:-0" posts, because I was simply writing this as a way to prove a point within a sub-argument. Not to try to convince myself or any of you that Georgetown is the better option.


They gave you statistics for about 400 of the 656 graduates... WHAT ABOUT THE OTHER 256! O that's right they were unemployed

BigZuck
Posts: 10854
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Fordham w/ $$ or Georgetown

Postby BigZuck » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:32 am

giantsfan564789 wrote:
midwest17 wrote:
giantsfan564789 wrote:Really just want to know which of the 2 choices is better, I have no interest in don't go at all or retake the lsat opinions. I just want to know which option of the 2 is preferable. Now that I've clarified this, hopefully I can get more answers that are more along the lines of what I'm looking for.

Thanks


People keep trying this strategy on TLS. It never works.



Yeah I guess you're right. I guess choose the better option is useless question on a site where every single person gonna say don't go at all unless its hys.

Thanks for nothin' guys!


No one said anything about HYS.

You're making false dichotomies and now you're ad homing.

You say you want big law. These schools don't give you a particularly good shot at that. Certainly, the deck is stacked against you. Especially if you don't properly approach important tests. Because that's pretty much all law school grades are based on- a series of important tests.

On top of that, you would take on a mountain of debt for those dubious chances of attaining your goal. No way Jose. Don't so it.

You need to bring your debt down, and you need to go to a school that will give you a better shot at attaining your goals. The only way to do that is to retake.

Or, you can alter your goals, and go to a much cheaper school that places well into an area where you have ties. TLS is almost uniformly supportive of that plan. Unfortunately, you just presented us with pretty much the worst possible scenario: two over-priced traps that leaves hundreds of kids like you debt-pwned every year.

californiauser
Posts: 1182
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:10 am

Re: Fordham w/ $$ or Georgetown

Postby californiauser » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:32 am

Mojosodope wrote:
They gave you statistics for about 400 of the 656 graduates... WHAT ABOUT THE OTHER 256! O that's right they were unemployed


And how many of those 2012 grads are part-timers who already had 100k+ paying jobs throughout school?

BigZuck
Posts: 10854
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Fordham w/ $$ or Georgetown

Postby BigZuck » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:35 am

Also if you say that "all" you want is a modest 100K job and not big law then you need to acquaint yourself with the realities of legal hiring, especially the bimodal salary distribution.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9635
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Fordham w/ $$ or Georgetown

Postby jbagelboy » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:36 am

giantsfan564789 wrote:

Kinda over this thread because I see that I'm just not getting the information I was trying to get. Just for the sake of argument though, I didn't say I only want big law. I said I want 100k salary out of law school. If you look at these official published stats, Georgetown's class of 2012 does, in fact, have more than half of the graduating class earning salaries that exceed 100k. Here are the official published stats which prove my point: http://www.law.georgetown.edu/careers/o ... ry-6-5.pdf

I hope that no one starts with "if you really wanna go to GULC, then just go!! >:-0" posts, because I was simply writing this as a way to prove a point within a sub-argument. Not to try to convince myself or any of you that Georgetown is the better option.


Yes - Georgetown has a 50.1% rate of $100K+ for reported salaries. This makes median a very uncomfortable place to be, statistically and emotionally speaking, when you are dealing with $290,000 worth of government loan debt, which is what you will have attending at sticker. And you should assume you will hit at or around median.

giantsfan564789
Posts: 75
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:16 pm

Re: Fordham w/ $$ or Georgetown

Postby giantsfan564789 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:38 am

.
Last edited by giantsfan564789 on Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
twenty
Posts: 3153
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:17 pm

Re: Fordham w/ $$ or Georgetown

Postby twenty » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:39 am

What information are you actually looking for, then?

giantsfan564789
Posts: 75
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:16 pm

Re: Fordham w/ $$ or Georgetown

Postby giantsfan564789 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:39 am

.
Last edited by giantsfan564789 on Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

giantsfan564789
Posts: 75
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:16 pm

Re: Fordham w/ $$ or Georgetown

Postby giantsfan564789 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:40 am

.
Last edited by giantsfan564789 on Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
twenty
Posts: 3153
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:17 pm

Re: Fordham w/ $$ or Georgetown

Postby twenty » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:41 am

False. I did not say I want big law.


A reality you're going to have to face real fast is that the legal profession is very bimodal. Either you work in non-biglaw and make 40k-60k/yr, or you work in biglaw and make 140k-170k/yr. There is no "above 100k" that isn't biglaw, realistically speaking.

BigZuck
Posts: 10854
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Fordham w/ $$ or Georgetown

Postby BigZuck » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:44 am

False. I did not say I want big law.


Considering big law is basically the only attainable job for a recent grad that pays 100K+, yes you did.

californiauser
Posts: 1182
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:10 am

Re: Fordham w/ $$ or Georgetown

Postby californiauser » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:44 am

giantsfan564789 wrote:They gave you statistics for about 400 of the 656 graduates... WHAT ABOUT THE OTHER 256! O that's right they were unemployed

OP wrote:
I'm simply showing you that greater than 50% of the students made 100k upon graduation. Nothing more and nothing less. Regardless of the number of respondents, if you look carefully, you can see that 237+77 (314) graduates were able to get salaries exceeding 100k upon graduation. I'm not talking about any other data, but you are wrong to say less than 50% of Georgetown gets less than 100k salaries upon graduation. Which means that I am correct on this one, sorry bro


californiauser wrote:
Mojosodope wrote:
They gave you statistics for about 400 of the 656 graduates... WHAT ABOUT THE OTHER 256! O that's right they were unemployed


And how many of those 2012 grads are part-timers who already had 100k+ paying jobs throughout school?
Last edited by californiauser on Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

giantsfan564789
Posts: 75
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:16 pm

Re: Fordham w/ $$ or Georgetown

Postby giantsfan564789 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:44 am

.
Last edited by giantsfan564789 on Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
twenty
Posts: 3153
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:17 pm

Re: Fordham w/ $$ or Georgetown

Postby twenty » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:45 am

If you held a gun to our heads and said "pick one" the obvious answer is GULC. TLS is not trying to screw you over here, if you have the opportunity to not make this decision, don't make it. Because you've given no one any reason why you must make this decision (not to mention, as midwest pointed out, it's a bit premature), you're going to find that people are less than receptive of entertaining a dichotomy like this.

User avatar
Mojosodope
Posts: 938
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:33 am

Re: Fordham w/ $$ or Georgetown

Postby Mojosodope » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:46 am

giantsfan564789 wrote:They gave you statistics for about 400 of the 656 graduates... WHAT ABOUT THE OTHER 256! O that's right they were unemployed



I'm simply showing you that greater than 50% of the students made 100k upon graduation. Nothing more and nothing less. Regardless of the number of respondents, if you look carefully, you can see that 237+77 (314) graduates were able to get salaries exceeding 100k upon graduation. I'm not talking about any other data, but you are wrong to say less than 50% of Georgetown gets less than 100k salaries upon graduation. Which means that I am correct on this one, sorry bro[/quote]

How am I incorrect, when I didn't even mention the 50% statistic. Great assumption "bro". I'm guessing RC isn't your strongest asset.

Like many people have said, without your stats we can't give you any other advice. Georgetown at sticker is dumb, and Fordham even with that scholarship is terrible.

giantsfan564789
Posts: 75
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:16 pm

Re: Fordham w/ $$ or Georgetown

Postby giantsfan564789 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:48 am

.
Last edited by giantsfan564789 on Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
twenty
Posts: 3153
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:17 pm

Re: Fordham w/ $$ or Georgetown

Postby twenty » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:49 am

yet 50% were able to obtain first year salaries that exceed 100k


First, It's about 40%, not 30% and secondly a lot of grads making that money are part-timers who are GS-13s or higher and are using the law degree as a "government MBA" in order to get into management. These people default into 100k/yr jobs, and are not numbers you should be looking at in making decisions.

NanaP
Posts: 298
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:29 pm

Re: Fordham w/ $$ or Georgetown

Postby NanaP » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:49 am

giantsfan564789 wrote:I was accepted with a half tuition scholarship to Fordham, and was also accepted to Georgetown at sticker. If those were your only 2 options, which would you choose.

All responses greatly appreciated, thanks!



I guess I'll try to answer your question. GULC is far away better than fordham....BUT...you should try to see if you can get some money, going to a school at sticker in DC can hurt you for a lifetime....as one of the posters mentioned money probably haven't distributed yet....also see if you get cornell and maybe play each other for $$...but I would def choose GULC over fordham.....

User avatar
twenty
Posts: 3153
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:17 pm

Re: Fordham w/ $$ or Georgetown

Postby twenty » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:51 am

Not to mention the fact that almost any job that pays 100k is not going to afford someone enough time to attend law school at night.


I promise you this is not true. In fact, most civilian government spots we're not allowed to work overtime due to the budget.

giantsfan564789
Posts: 75
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:16 pm

Re: Fordham w/ $$ or Georgetown

Postby giantsfan564789 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:51 am

.
Last edited by giantsfan564789 on Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

giantsfan564789
Posts: 75
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:16 pm

Re: Fordham w/ $$ or Georgetown

Postby giantsfan564789 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:54 am

.
Last edited by giantsfan564789 on Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

giantsfan564789
Posts: 75
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:16 pm

Re: Fordham w/ $$ or Georgetown

Postby giantsfan564789 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:56 am

.
Last edited by giantsfan564789 on Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.

moralsentiments
Posts: 169
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:11 pm

Re: Fordham w/ $$ or Georgetown

Postby moralsentiments » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:56 am

You said that you are from NY. Does this mean that you will have your living situation taken care of if you decide on Fordham?

The reason I ask is because living in NYC is more expensive than DC, meaning that it could end up costing more to attend Fordham - even with the scholarship.

Assuming you can keep your COL minimal, I would say since you have the scholarship at Fordham, go with Fordham.

Retake might be the best option, but none of us on here really know because we don't know what you scored, how many times you took it, or how well you studied.

Also, Fordham doesn't mean that you have no chance of big law as some here are insinuating. It's impossible to forecast how well you will do in law school. Your chances of big law decrease significantly the further you are from the top 5/10%. It's not easy to get in the top 5/10%, so most people on this site tend to assume that the average poster (in this case, you) will not end up in the top %. With that said, most of the advice is based on the premise that your chances of getting big law are slim, and the slimmer the chances, the less justifiable massive debt becomes. A retake is an option to make yourself a more valuable commodity for law schools, increasing your chance at scholarships which in turn decreases your likelihood of taking on crippling debt if you don't land the big law job after all. That is why it is so often recommended (even when specifically not asked for).

So again, I'd go Fordham assuming you can keep COL under control, but just be very aware of what you're getting yourself into if you make that decision.

BigZuck
Posts: 10854
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Fordham w/ $$ or Georgetown

Postby BigZuck » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:56 am

giantsfan564789 wrote:
Mojosodope wrote:
giantsfan564789 wrote:They gave you statistics for about 400 of the 656 graduates... WHAT ABOUT THE OTHER 256! O that's right they were unemployed



I'm simply showing you that greater than 50% of the students made 100k upon graduation. Nothing more and nothing less. Regardless of the number of respondents, if you look carefully, you can see that 237+77 (314) graduates were able to get salaries exceeding 100k upon graduation. I'm not talking about any other data, but you are wrong to say less than 50% of Georgetown gets less than 100k salaries upon graduation. Which means that I am correct on this one, sorry bro


How am I incorrect, when I didn't even mention the 50% statistic. Great assumption "bro". I'm guessing RC isn't your strongest asset.

Like many people have said, without your stats we can't give you any other advice. Georgetown at sticker is dumb, and Fordham even with that scholarship is terrible.



You wrote back to me the "what about the other...". I was writing what I wrote to prove the 50% point, what you wrote was wrote in a way that made it seem as if you're going against what I'm saying. I was simply proving a sub-point. If you read what the person wrote and what I argued against, you will see I was correct with what I wrote. I didn't say you were wrong, just that I am right. The only one making ignorant assumptions is you. (i.e. you thinking when I say I'm correct, then I must be saying you are incorrect. )

Additionally, all of the sections were my strongpoints, and I received a very good score. I did not write bro out of ignorance of RC, but out of trying to belittle you in a way that I know is not grammatically correct. You attacked so I attacked back, bro[/quote]

So you got what, like a 166?

Definitely retake, don't leave that money on the table.

User avatar
Mojosodope
Posts: 938
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:33 am

Re: Fordham w/ $$ or Georgetown

Postby Mojosodope » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:58 am

Your either a troll or just a clown. Your proving points and sub-points of an argument nobody refuted. I was just stating another statistic, which makes the employment statistics less positive. When 25% of the graduates are not included in any statistics, you can probably assume the worse. Which would make it 25% possible that you would not be able to pay back your 290k.

And if you had such a good score, why are are you sitting here arguing with us about retakes or GULC?




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], DoYouEvenTLS, MarkinKansasCity, SunDevil14 and 3 guests