Where else do I need to be looking?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
mach9zero

Where else do I need to be looking?

Postby mach9zero » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:57 pm

I'm in the middle of my law school scavanger hunt and trying to find where else I need to be applying

Goal: Disability Law or Health Care Law, Big Law would be nice, but medium+ would be alright.

LSAT: 162, won't retake
GPA: 3.68
Geography: Live in Philly and wouldn't mind staying in the Mid-Atlantic region

My goal is scholarships, I'm in it for the money and cannot take debt over $85k-100k, that'd be unfathomable. So far I've applied to Temple, Rutgers Camden, Drexel, Villanova, Tulane, U Florida, Ohio State, and Northeastern.

I've heard back from Drexel (full scholarship), waiting to hear back from others. Many are merit fee waivers.

Anywhere else I should be considering or looking?

timbs4339

Re: Where else do I need to be looking?

Postby timbs4339 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:00 pm

Retake for T14 if you want to do high-paying private sector work. Also disability law and decently paying biglaw or midlaw are incompatible. Please do research on the likely starting salaries and jobs out of this list of schools.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:13 pm

All of the schools you've listed place locally, and getting employment in many of those areas will require you to have preexisting ties. Thus, it makes no sense for you to apply to most of the places that you've applied.

Focus on local law schools where you have ties -- namely, those in and around Philly. Since you won't retake (incredibly dumb), you're looking at an assortment of dumpster-fire law schools that will give you about a coin-flip's chance of ever working as an actual attorney.

Forget BigLaw. That's just comical. "Medium +" basically doesn't exist, and especially not for someone with no experience. (And disability law doesn't match up with these desires anyway. You need to do some research.) With these degrees, you're mostly looking at some awful area of low-paying small law (DUI, slip-and-falls, and so forth), low-paying work as a contract attorney in a doc review sweatshop, or some area of employment outside of the legal field -- where your JD will be a significant negative. Accordingly, don't attend any of your available terrible options on anything less than a full-tuition, no-stipulations scholarship.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:21 am

You're willing to take "Medium+" as a backup. BIG DEBT is unfathomable. Rolling with a 162.

This should end well.

Eta: Retake, silly

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:22 am

Retake is the only way to achieve your goals, nebulous as they may be.

Id apply more ambitiously nonetheless. With another 13% decline in applicants this year, a 162 will start to be median at an increasing number of regional schools. The ones you have picked should not be attended with anything shy of a full ride. I would scrap the Temple and Northeastern apps altogether. Ohio state is justifiable at the right cost. Why do you have UF on here? That's not "mid-atlantic," and it sure as shit wont get you back to philly.

What about UNC Chapel Hill, George Washington, W&M, Penn state, Cornell, Ect? This is what I think of as mid-atlantic.

Again this bears repetition: TCR is retake for Penn, Cornell, UVA to stay in the region. (Although by region, this mostly means NYC or DC - we are talking about law here after all).

altoid99

Postby altoid99 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:26 am

jbagelboy wrote:Retake is the only way to achieve your goals, nebulous as they may be.

Id apply more ambitiously nonetheless. With another 13% decline in applicants this year, a 162 will start to be median at an increasing number of regional schools. The ones you have picked should not be attended with anything shy of a full ride. I would scrap the Temple and Northeastern apps altogether. Ohio state is justifiable at the right cost. Why do you have UF on here? That's not "mid-atlantic," and it sure as shit wont get you back to philly.

What about UNC Chapel Hill, George Washington, W&M, Penn state, Cornell, Ect? This is what I think of as mid-atlantic.

Again this bears repetition: TCR is retake for Penn, Cornell, UVA to stay in the region. (Although by region, this mostly means NYC or DC - we are talking about law here after all).

Temple and Ohio State have very similar employment numbers. If you're going to toss out Temple out of the equation, you should also toss out Ohio State. But in this case I'd argue that Temple, at the right price, is a better option than Ohio State at a similar price--especially for Philly (obviously).

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:05 am

altoid99 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:Retake is the only way to achieve your goals, nebulous as they may be.

Temple and Ohio State have very similar employment numbers. If you're going to toss out Temple out of the equation, you should also toss out Ohio State. But in this case I'd argue that Temple, at the right price, is a better option than Ohio State at a similar price--especially for Philly (obviously).

Temple doesn't seem like an awful option IF A) you want to stay in Philly and B) you have a full ride. You won't get Big Law, but if you have 0 debt small law wouldn't be a death sentence.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:38 am

TheSpanishMain wrote:Temple doesn't seem like an awful option IF A) you want to stay in Philly and B) you have a full ride. You won't get Big Law, but if you have 0 debt small law wouldn't be a death sentence.

Temple's not a bad option for Philly but I don't think they give true full rides and there are still cost of living expenses to deal with. Even paying just 5k a year in tuition could leave OP near his goal of 85k debt when repayment starts and Temple isn't worth that. Villanova isn't either, and their tuition is higher, but they do give no-stip full rides so they could end up being a better option. Either one is acceptable if OP only has to borrow a nominal amount for COL.

Of course, if your goal is to minimize debt retaking is the simplest solution. You can't possibly be worried about debt but unwilling to retake.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:08 am

True. When I say go to Temple for free I mean really free, or at most under 15k in debt. Like, hopefully you have family that can help you out with COL or something.

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:34 am

mach9zero wrote:won't retake

I love when people put this, as though it's going to affect the advice TLS gives them.

Cellar-door

Postby Cellar-door » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:38 pm

If you won't retake then where you should be looking is at new career goals

Fiero85

Postby Fiero85 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:49 pm

[quote="mach9zero]"

My goal is scholarships, I'm in it for the money and cannot take debt over $85k-100k, that'd be unfathomable. [/quote]

Studying for a retake pays mad money dude. I don't get how people can honestly not see the inconsistency between "I refuse to retake" and "I need to save money"

Clearly you don't understand the situation. There is money on the table that you aren't even thinking about trying to earn in a matter of months.

banjo

Postby banjo » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:33 pm

Imagine how absurd it would be if someone said, "Oops, failed my driver's test, can't retake though...turning 17 next year and have to get this show on the road." That's how silly people sound when they refuse to retake. Rarely in life do you get an opportunity to redo something--certainly not law school exams and job interviews. Retake and apply to T14--you'll get money somewhere.

Another

Postby Another » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:19 am

Last edited by Another on Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:40 am

mach9zero wrote:LSAT: 162, won't retake

I'm in it for the money and cannot take debt over $85k-100k,

If only there was a surefire way to increase your scholarships! CTRL + F "retake" ITT for some good ideas.

Also, there's not much difference between "can't" retake and "won't" retake; you'd get better advice with the former though, because the latter sounds obnoxious. Especially considering all the people here that have retaken etc. It's not like TLS'rs just pull 170's out of the air.

Retake for scholarships. Your GPA isn't going to prevent you from getting in anywhere except Y/S and could get you T14 with really good money.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:47 am

Pneumonia wrote:
mach9zero wrote:LSAT: 162, won't retake

I'm in it for the money and cannot take debt over $85k-100k,

If only there was a surefire way to increase your scholarships! CTRL + F "retake" ITT for some good ideas.

Also, there's not much difference between "can't" retake and "won't" retake; you'd get better advice with the former though, because the latter sounds obnoxious. Especially considering all the people here that have retaken etc. It's not like TLS'rs just pull 170's out of the air.

Retake for scholarships. Your GPA isn't going to prevent you from getting in anywhere except Y/S and could get you T14 with really good money.

Agree with all of this, except for the fact that there is literally no difference between can't and won't retake unless there is some weird exploding offer to pay for tuition that stipulates attending sooner rather than later. But even if someone presented that as their reason for can't retake I would think they were lying. So there's that.

Don't try it kids if you don't want BigZuck to call you out for being a liar.

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:10 am

BigZuck wrote:
Agree with all of this, except for the fact that there is literally no difference between can't and won't retake unless there is some weird exploding offer to pay for tuition that stipulates attending sooner rather than later. But even if someone presented that as their reason for can't retake I would think they were lying. So there's that.

Don't try it kids if you don't want BigZuck to call you out for being a liar.

Yeah that's what I had in mind, but I also have never seen a such a situation that contained even a shred of believability.

giantsfan564789

Postby giantsfan564789 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:24 am

BigZuck wrote:You're willing to take "Medium+" as a backup. BIG DEBT is unfathomable. Rolling with a 162.

This should end well.

I can see that at least you are consistent with your responses.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:50 am

giantsfan564789 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:You're willing to take "Medium+" as a backup. BIG DEBT is unfathomable. Rolling with a 162.

This should end well.

I can see that at least you are consistent with your responses.

People who should retake should retake

Please confine your trolling to your own thread. Thanks.

collegewriter

Postby collegewriter » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:33 pm

I would look outside the region to schools who will give money. Basically:

If you want ABSOLUTELY to stay in your region + get $$: Retake because you are too inflexible to guarantee $$ at the limited # of schools that are near you.

If you want $$ the most: Go to a region with more schools where you can probably get $. (Cardozo gives out FAT scholarships and you probably would qualify).

If you don't want to retake, then accept that either you will be away from where you want to be or you will not get a big scholarship. Having the exact locale you want + lots of $$$ is for those people lucky enough to get 170+ sorry :/

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:47 pm

collegewriter wrote:I would look outside the region to schools who will give money. Basically:

If you want ABSOLUTELY to stay in your region + get $$: Retake because you are too inflexible to guarantee $$ at the limited # of schools that are near you.

If you want $$ the most: Go to a region with more schools where you can probably get $. (Cardozo gives out FAT scholarships and you probably would qualify).

If you don't want to retake, then accept that either you will be away from where you want to be or you will not get a big scholarship. Having the exact locale you want + lots of $$$ is for those people lucky enough to get 170+ sorry :/

This doesn't seem like great advice. Going to a regional school where you don't have ties doesn't bode well for future employment. Better to have a bit more debt for better chances at a job down the line.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”