DEPAUL LAW$$ V. GW LAW (STICKER) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
martin2014

New

DEPAUL LAW$$ V. GW LAW (STICKER)

Post by martin2014 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:50 am

I am stressed about deciding between DePaul Law (25K a year scholarship) v. GW Law (Sticker, may qualify for $10,000-$15,000 need-based grant)
I'm primarily interested in criminal law. I was dead set on public interest/public defense until I realized how much the salary for those positions were. I
I'm a very motivated person and eventually want to obtain a high profile position. I want to either work in the Chicago or DC area, or somewhere on the East Coast.

Pros to DePaul: Downtown Chicago location, connections to the school, emphasis in diversity and public service. Can see myself happy here
Cons for DePaul: low job placement, low starting average salaries

Pros to GW: Reputation, DC location, Dream School, high job placement and high average starting salaries
Cons: $$, will take out massive amount of loans

My LSAT score: 150(Which I worked hard for) GPA: 3.95, Triple Major

Please give advice on what I should do!! Thank You.

Nova

Platinum

Re: DEPAUL LAW$$ V. GW LAW (STICKER)

Post by Nova » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:53 am

martin2014 wrote:My LSAT score: 150(Which I worked hard for) GPA: 3.95, Triple Major

You have a YSH GPA & a TTTT LSAT. You obviously need to retake the LSAT.

GW @ sticker would be a bad financial decision.

altoid99

Bronze

Post by altoid99 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:36 am

You absolutely have to retake. How many times have taken the LSAT and how much time did you spend studying for the 150? If you even just hit 160, you'll be getting $$$ from T20 schools. DePaul at any price and GW at sticker are not worth your time or money.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:23 am

martin2014 wrote: I'm a very motivated person and eventually want to obtain a high profile position.
My LSAT score: 150(Which I worked hard for) GPA: 3.95, Triple Major

Take that motivation and apply it to improving your LSAT score. As it is right now, neither option is good.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:26 am

Retake. Stop reading this thread and go do LSAT questions.

Also LOL at using "high average starting salaries." You know that 20% of GW's graduating class gets paid around 25K by the school to volunteer somewhere, right?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

goldenflash19

Silver

Post by goldenflash19 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:46 am

Retake or don't go. There is literally no reason in the world that can justify not retaking.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:52 am

goldenflash19 wrote:Retake or don't go. There is literally no reason in the world that can justify not retaking.
+1

Even if you think you can't improve you definitely can plus its a multiple choice test, so even if you somehow didn't improve above 150 level you can easily get a 154-156 just by some luckier guessing. Going GW at sticker is not a defensible choice, and with your GPA if you can raise the LSAT ten points you will be looking at some full rides and significant $$$ at decent schools.

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:55 am

timbs4339 wrote:Retake. Stop reading this thread and go do LSAT questions.

Also LOL at using "high average starting salaries." You know that 20% of GW's graduating class gets paid around 25K by the school to volunteer somewhere, right?
This. Read more about GW that isn't information provided by the school. Their placement is actually very subpar relative to their high cost.

jumpingjack

New

Post by jumpingjack » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:41 am

You say GW sticker is your dream school? You have a 3.95 GPA and did a triple major, you can improve your LSAT by 10+ points EASY. There should be NO rush to attend law school in this economy at such an exorbitant cost, and you can get full rides at scores of schools by improving your LSAT by even a mere 10 points (20+ points would put you in the running for the top of the top).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”