Rutgers - Newark vs Seton Hall?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Adventureisoutthere

Rutgers - Newark vs Seton Hall?

Postby Adventureisoutthere » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:59 am

Rutgers Newark:
$23,000 in scholarship towards their $23,000 tuition if I maintain a 3.0

COA = $48,840 - $23,000 = $25,840/year

OR

Seton Hall
$35,000 a year scholarship towards their out of state tuition of $48,000 as long as I maintain either top 75% of my class or a 2.8 GPA

COA = $70,996 - 35,000 = $35,996/year

Thoughts?
Last edited by Adventureisoutthere on Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nova

Re: Rutgers - Newark vs Seton Hall?

Postby Nova » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:01 am

approximately what rank is a 3.0 from R-N?

Youre from NJ and wish to stay in NJ long term, yes?

Adventureisoutthere

Postby Adventureisoutthere » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:05 am

Nova wrote:approximately what rank is a 3.0 from R-N?

Youre from NJ and wish to stay in NJ long term, yes?

According to wiki, a 3.0 is 50% from both schools.

I currently live in FL (R-N offers in-state tuition with a signing a 12 month lease) , but I do wish to stay in NJ.

PepperJack

Postby PepperJack » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:14 am

You definitely wouldn't retake the test? I mean Seton Hall has some really good professors, but the jobs suck. There is a very tangible chance you won't get a job.

In all seriousness, are you extraordinarily good looking? I have met big law lawyers from Seton Hall who were very good looking, and were not on law review. If not then you would need to grade onto law review to maybe get a decent job.

Nova

Postby Nova » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:18 am

incase you havent seen the employment stats...

R-N wrote:•54.3% of graduates were known to be employed in long-term, full-time legal jobs.
•79.4% graduates were employed in long-term jobs.
•79% graduates were employed in full-time jobs.

SH wrote:•65.8% of graduates were known to be employed in long-term, full-time legal jobs. •81.3% graduates were employed in long-term jobs.
•81% graduates were employed in full-time jobs.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school= ... show=chars

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:21 am

Neither of those schools are worth that much. It is especially not worth going with those strings.

Adventureisoutthere

Postby Adventureisoutthere » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:35 am

I appreciate all of the feedback.

I am basically wondering if Seton Hall's slightly better job prospects are worth the extra money that I'd be putting into the school versus RN?

PepperJack

Postby PepperJack » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:53 am

Adventureisoutthere wrote:I appreciate all of the feedback.

I am basically wondering if Seton Hall's slightly better job prospects are worth the extra money that I'd be putting into the school versus RN?

B/W the 2 I'd take Seton Hall, but it's a bad decision. I think factoring in for education, it's worth SOMETHING. Seton Hall has a few incredible profs. But eh, it's such a bad decision. I guess if you have no plans for big law, and can work in law school, you'd sacrifice grades but should still be able to pull median if you accustom yourself to working 72 hour weeks.

HYSenberg

Postby HYSenberg » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:10 am

NJ has the highest overall tax rate in the nation, so I'd pick the cheaper option just because I wouldn't want to owe more because I went to one TTT over another. Why don't you pick a FL school if you have basically given up on biglaw?

Adventureisoutthere

Postby Adventureisoutthere » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:19 am

HYSenberg wrote:NJ has the highest overall tax rate in the nation, so I'd pick the cheaper option just because I wouldn't want to owe more because I went to one TTT over another. Why don't you pick a FL school if you have basically given up on biglaw?

I'm really wanting to move out of Florida. I understand that because there isn't much reach from Florida schools that I'd pretty much have to give up the ability to work/live anywhere else and that's not something I'd like in my life...

Nova

Postby Nova » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:21 am

GPA/LSAT? thoughts on retaking?

HYSenberg

Postby HYSenberg » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:24 am

Adventureisoutthere wrote:
HYSenberg wrote:NJ has the highest overall tax rate in the nation, so I'd pick the cheaper option just because I wouldn't want to owe more because I went to one TTT over another. Why don't you pick a FL school if you have basically given up on biglaw?

I'm really wanting to move out of Florida. I understand that because there isn't much reach from Florida schools that I'd pretty much have to give up the ability to work/live anywhere else and that's not something I'd like in my life...

Fwiw, you won't really have many chances of great employment from a TTT in NJ than a school in FL. I think FL would be the better option because you have demonstratable ties to the area and you'll encounter far lower cost of living concerns.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:25 am

Retake. If not retake, then I'd take 75K at R-N. Either way you'll likely be looking at around a 50-60K salary out of law school. 1.5x the debt is doable on that, 100K is too much.

Adventureisoutthere

Postby Adventureisoutthere » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:27 am

Nova wrote:GPA/LSAT? thoughts on retaking?

My thoughts aren't high =/

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:29 am

Nova wrote:GPA/LSAT? thoughts on retaking?

My thoughts aren't high =/

Retake.

But actually, that GPA can get you into plenty of much better schools. Put the time in to get an LSAT to match it.

Nova

Postby Nova » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:31 am

Agreed ^

Your GPA is good enough to get into almost any law school in the country. Your LSAT is holding you back. You should definitely be studying for Feb/June.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:34 am

Definitely retake, going to law school with those numbers would be a potentially life-ruinous decision. Gotta get the LSAT up and match it with that good gpa and go to a school worth attending at a reasonable price. Right now you've got neither.

I would also rethink the wisdom of going to a regional school in a region where (it seems?) you don't have ties.

Adventureisoutthere

Postby Adventureisoutthere » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:37 am

BigZuck wrote:
I would also rethink the wisdom of going to a regional school in a region where (it seems?) you don't have ties.

There is potential for ties... I have family in NJ (cousins/uncles), those of which consist of a few successful lawyers.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:39 am

BigZuck wrote:

There is potential for ties... I have family in NJ (cousins/uncles), those of which consist of a few successful lawyers.

I don't know that that's gonna cut it.

You had three people basically insta-post the exact same advice. Retake.

Adventureisoutthere

Postby Adventureisoutthere » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:41 am

BigZuck wrote:
BigZuck wrote:

I don't know that that's gonna cut it.

You had three people basically insta-post the exact same advice. Retake.

You are all correct, it's definitely something to consider on my part, which I will do.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”