Getting$$$

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
theoutpostmhs

Getting$$$

Postby theoutpostmhs » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:59 pm

How do you go about getting money at schools? I've heard if you're in two comparable schools you can use that leverage to get money out of both of them. How do you go about doing this?

grungy89

Re: Getting$$$

Postby grungy89 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:14 pm

theoutpostmhs wrote: I've heard if you're in two comparable schools you can use that leverage to get money out of both of them. How do you go about doing this?

Its easy, you just call the school and ask them to email you the ID10-T form. There's really nothing to it.

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:21 pm

grungy89 wrote:
theoutpostmhs wrote: I've heard if you're in two comparable schools you can use that leverage to get money out of both of them. How do you go about doing this?

Its easy, you just call the school and ask them to email you the ID10-T form. There's really nothing to it.

Come on now...

logical seasoning

Postby logical seasoning » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:41 pm

grungy89 wrote:

I hope I don't end up at the same law school as you

HarvardHopeful

Postby HarvardHopeful » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:49 pm

logical seasoning wrote:
grungy89 wrote:

I hope I don't end up at the same law school as you

+1

logical seasoning

Postby logical seasoning » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:24 pm

OP from what I understand, if you are an exceptional candidate, the school will send you a merit-based award offer either at the time of your acceptance or 2-4 weeks after.

After you submit your FAFSA and Needaccess forms, some schools will give you need based grants. You can expect this to come possibly in Feb-March.

As for negotiating, once schools give you their grants, you can contact them to negotiate more aid. (hey Chicago, Duke gave me 30k a year and you gave me 5k... I really want to attend Chicago, but since financials are such a big part of admissions....) More info can be found here viewtopic.php?f=22&t=79373

hichvichwoh

Postby hichvichwoh » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:30 pm

There's no guide to it, but generally having a high GPA/LSAT and having money from other schools helps. I just straight up grovelled while I was negotiating and they bumped up my award, but i dunno if that works for everyone.

PepperJack

Postby PepperJack » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:34 pm

Many law schools have ATM's in the buildimg, but there may be a 2.99 fee plus any add'l fees your bank charges.

ck3

Postby ck3 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:09 pm

If you already have your LSAT score you can target the schools that you apply to in order to give yourself a chance to get scholarship funds. If you can find a quality school that meets your career goals and geographic goals and where your GPA/LSAT combination is above the 75th percentile for the school then you are likely to get good money from that school. At least that was my experience. check out profiles from the Law School Numbers website for the schools you are interested in. Also apply early like yesterday because some schools have named scholarships that require essays and have a deadline in December or early January. Just my 2 cents.

collegewriter

Postby collegewriter » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:28 pm

You CAN ask for money. I negotiated an award higher at one school based on a better award from a comparably ranked school. Be careful how you ask. I asked in person at admitted students day. It was obvious I was interested and the other school I was looking at was technically a "better" school that year. I was able to say I was very interested in the school I was visiting and that a comparable/better school wanted me and was giving me a lot more money. It's key to be tactful in these situations, especially if you are asking for upwards of 10k (like I was). At this school I was in the middle 50% so I negotiated up to about 50% tuition.

The school I currently go to actually called me (I was wait listed--probably because they didn't think I was serious about that school) and asked what would make me go there and I told them a full ride. They called back the next day offering it. I know other people who did this as well so I think it's pretty typical of my school. I was only able to ask for this much because I was in the top 25% or so of candidates by the numbers and I would not have asked for it at the school above.

(Make sure you check stipulations. Many schools are known for playing with sections in order to eliminate scholarships faster. If you can get a no-strings-attached scholarship you should take it!)

It can pay big to have balls so don't be afraid to ask!

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:13 pm

collegewriter wrote:It can pay big to have balls so don't be afraid to ask!

This. I got in off the waitlist in July, mentioned my stipulated partial scholarship at a regional T50, and got offered a pretty significant amount at a T14. Never hurts to ask.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”