Penn State cuts in state tuition in half

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
phillywc

Penn State cuts in state tuition in half

Postby phillywc » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:21 pm

--LinkRemoved--

Regardless if you think Penn State is worth it at half cost (probably not, for most people), this trend is very good for law schools everywhere. The non elite schools that stay open can have a use, but not a use that is worth 300k in debt. This is a good start, I think.

Merylian

Re: Penn State cuts in state tuition in half

Postby Merylian » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:25 pm

inb4 someone makes an inevitable joke about not knowing the difference between Penn State and U Penn, probably involving child molestation.

But no for real, that's good news. I feel like Penn State is a decent option for someone who has a scholarship to cover most of tuition and knows they're happy staying in Pennsylvania, without Biglaw aspirations. Now it's even better for that sort of person.

riverwater

Postby riverwater » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:42 pm

Last edited by riverwater on Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:55 pm

I like how they're giving a 20k scholarship to all new students rather than actually lowering tuition. Current students get no benefit.

NanaP

Postby NanaP » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:56 pm

Don't touch this law school....

phillywc

Postby phillywc » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:00 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:I like how they're giving a 20k scholarship to all new students rather than actually lowering tuition. Current students get no benefit.

This is a fair point. It is a good thing for new students, sucks for current students.

Mauve.Dino

Postby Mauve.Dino » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:21 pm

Inb4 Sandusky taking a shower.

Seriously, you couldn't pay me to go there.

Really sad to watch the long, slow demise of Dickinson (sorry--PENN STATE Dickinson) Law.

jchiles

Postby jchiles » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:59 pm

As a student at Penn State I can definitely tell you that there is a lot of talk about either dropping out and reapplying to the school next year (if possible as a 1L) or transferring to Pitt Temple. I kind of doubt any of that will really happen, law students being a risk- and change-averse group overall, but it is obviously a little insulting for students to suddenly learn that being a PA resident just became 20k (well more like 60k) more valuable and that they have no shot at any of the money.

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:01 pm

jchiles wrote:As a student at Penn State I can definitely tell you that there is a lot of talk about either dropping out and reapplying to the school next year (if possible as a 1L) or transferring to Pitt Temple. I kind of doubt any of that will really happen, law students being a risk- and change-averse group overall, but it is obviously a little insulting for students to suddenly learn that being a PA resident just became 20k (well more like 60k) more valuable and that they have no shot at any of the money.

Meh. Everyone there decided that attending at the cost they were offered was worth it to them. It doesn't suddenly become not worth it just because other people are getting to go for less.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:04 pm

jchiles wrote:As a student at Penn State I can definitely tell you that there is a lot of talk about either dropping out and reapplying to the school next year (if possible as a 1L) or transferring to Pitt Temple. I kind of doubt any of that will really happen, law students being a risk- and change-averse group overall, but it is obviously a little insulting for students to suddenly learn that being a PA resident just became 20k (well more like 60k) more valuable and that they have no shot at any of the money.

Something tells me that this 20K isn't separate from other scholarships they'll be offering. A lot of people who used to pay 40K will now get 20K, but a lot of people who would have got 20K will still just get the same 20K. If that's the case it's possible they won't even be giving out that much more money or taking in less revenue than they did this year.

Now if you are currently paying sticker and are in-state then yes, you are straight up missing out on 20K. But if you're paying sticker at PSU...my God.

jchiles

Postby jchiles » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:10 pm

Good points, and I think you're right in that it won't really change total amount of aid given out; its more of a marketing technique to try an attract instate applicants who would have looked at the cheaper (and arguably better) schools in PA that accept similarly qualified applicants. I think the main issue people have with it is that they could point to their scholarships as at least nominally based on some sort of academic criteria from their GPA/LSAT, while now the award is automatic. And yes, paying sticker price is a bad idea, I think for most people even paying the new "instate" price + living expenses would be too much.

jingosaur

Postby jingosaur » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:12 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:

Something tells me that this 20K isn't separate from other scholarships they'll be offering. A lot of people who used to pay 40K will now get 20K, but a lot of people who would have got 20K will still just get the same 20K. If that's the case it's possible they won't even be giving out that much more money or taking in less revenue than they did this year.

Now if you are currently paying sticker and are in-state then yes, you are straight up missing out on 20K. But if you're paying sticker at PSU...my God.

Paul Campos wrote:only 18% of last year’s [Penn State Law] student body got tuition discounts of half or more

This is from the LGM article above. "...my God" is right.

edwardt1988

Postby edwardt1988 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:39 pm

I like the fact that they are trying to entice young men(and women) to come over by massaging their tuition lower

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:53 pm

jchiles wrote:Good points, and I think you're right in that it won't really change total amount of aid given out; its more of a marketing technique to try an attract instate applicants who would have looked at the cheaper (and arguably better) schools in PA that accept similarly qualified applicants. I think the main issue people have with it is that they could point to their scholarships as at least nominally based on some sort of academic criteria from their GPA/LSAT, while now the award is automatic. And yes, paying sticker price is a bad idea, I think for most people even paying the new "instate" price + living expenses would be too much.

It also preserves the MSRP just in case applicant numbers rebound over the next few years. I'm sure a lot of deans and faculty think that there is a huge backlog of people just waiting in their parents' basements to apply to law school and we're going back to the good times of conferences in the Sorbonne and five figure research bonuses.

Why Dickinson in the middle of nowhere still costs over 20K while CUNY (located in a major market with presumably much higher built in costs) is only 13K, is a mystery maybe your school's dean can enlighten you about.

HYSenberg

Postby HYSenberg » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:54 pm

Apparently Iowa cut tuition across the board by 16%, even for upperclassmen.

jk148706

Postby jk148706 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:02 pm

As ATL points out, PSU is not *really* halving tuition. --LinkRemoved--

Return to “Choosing a Law School”