Is law school still a possibility for me?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
TheJanitor6203

Re: Is law school still a possibility for me?

Postby TheJanitor6203 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:57 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:You actually can get Law PLC as long as you test into first class and you have a solid GPA. From there, you have a 60-70% chance of actually coming out the other end -- and you have one shot at it. So basically, good luck.

The good news is, remedial classes don't count in your LSAC-calculated GPA.

Maybe we're on different pages but I took a retarded kid math class as well and it counted towards my GPA. "Math for Liberal Arts Majors" :wink:

OP,
No one is trying to dog you out, they're just pointing out what you need to fix so that you can reach your goals. Why the Marine Corps? Just curious.

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:01 pm

TheJanitor6203 wrote:
twentypercentmore wrote:You actually can get Law PLC as long as you test into first class and you have a solid GPA. From there, you have a 60-70% chance of actually coming out the other end -- and you have one shot at it. So basically, good luck.

Maybe we're on different pages but I took a retarded kid math class as well and it counted towards my GPA. "Math for Liberal Arts Majors" :wink:

OP,
No one is trying to dog you out, they're just pointing out what you need to fix so that you can reach your goals. Why the Marine Corps? Just curious.

It depends on what OP means by remedial. Some colleges over classes numbered <100 that aren't considered college-level, and LSAC doesn't count those.

LSAC wrote:Grades Excluded From Conversion...Those given for remedial courses only if the transcript clearly indicates they are remedial.

TheJanitor6203

Postby TheJanitor6203 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:08 pm

midwest17 wrote:
TheJanitor6203 wrote:

OP,

It depends on what OP means by remedial. Some colleges over classes numbered <100 that aren't considered college-level, and LSAC doesn't count those.

LSAC wrote:Grades Excluded From Conversion...Those given for remedial courses only if the transcript clearly indicates they are remedial.

Ah, I see. I think mine was DUMB101 or something like that. Just made the cut baby!

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:20 pm

TheJanitor6203 wrote:
midwest17 wrote:
TheJanitor6203 wrote:

OP,

Ah, I see. I think mine was DUMB101 or something like that. Just made the cut baby!

Also, the title of that class amuses me. Isn't math a liberal art?

TheJanitor6203

Postby TheJanitor6203 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:48 pm

midwest17 wrote:Also, the title of that class amuses me. Isn't math a liberal art?

I think it is. I went back and looked at my transcripts and I was right. MATH125- Math for Liberal Arts Majors. A+ :D

applelover

Postby applelover » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:56 am

Deleted, because I didn't feel like someone trying to start a verbal war with me tonight.
Last edited by applelover on Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:20 am, edited 3 times in total.

applelover

Postby applelover » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:59 am

smh
Last edited by applelover on Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

TigerDude

Postby TigerDude » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:06 am

Please understand that a lot of people go into Marine OCS to do something other than infantry. Remember that the primary job of Marines is toting a rifle. So chances are that is what you will end up doing.

It is like joining the Navy expecting not to go to sea on ships.

MAHamlin

Postby MAHamlin » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:11 am

For what its worth OP, my gpa was a 1.97 after my first 7 credit hours of undergrad. I'm now a 1L at HLS.

One bad semester or class isn't the end of the world, but you need to figure out why/how you screwed up. Personally, I realized college wasn't right for me at that time and dropped out after the one bad semester. It took me 8 more years to decide that I was ready to try again at college. My grades after returning reflected that newfound commitment.

Long story short, a bad grade won't ruin your chances of attending a good school, but it might not be a bad idea to step away from school, get some experience, mature a bit, and then go back when you're ready to fully commit. Don't try to plow your way through school if you're not ready; you'll likely just end up digging yourself a deeper hole.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:04 am

TigerDude wrote:Please understand that a lot of people go into Marine OCS to do something other than infantry. Remember that the primary job of Marines is toting a rifle. So chances are that is what you will end up doing.

It is like joining the Navy expecting not to go to sea on ships.

Toting a rifle does not make you an infantryman.

Even among line officers in OCS, more people want infantry than get it. It's not like 98% of the class goes infantry or something.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:53 am

OP, how old are you? If you are still young I'd recommend enlisting and going to college after your four years are up and then going to law school. I had a supervisor who did this at one of my internships (i.e., enlisted at 17 started college at 21.) From my own experience of looking into JAG, it seems like military folks are definitely preferred and that in general they don't really like listless people who have bounced around to different colleges and haven't worked a career oriented job (myself). I think that military service is something that is really important but the way we learn about it suggests that its an easy gig to get, unfortunately joining the military is really competitive and specialized positions like JAG are extremely competitive.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:20 am

FlanAl wrote:OP, how old are you? If you are still young I'd recommend enlisting and going to college after your four years are up and then going to law school. I had a supervisor who did this at one of my internships (i.e., enlisted at 17 started college at 21.) From my own experience of looking into JAG, it seems like military folks are definitely preferred and that in general they don't really like listless people who have bounced around to different colleges and haven't worked a career oriented job (myself). I think that military service is something that is really important but the way we learn about it suggests that its an easy gig to get, unfortunately joining the military is really competitive and specialized positions like JAG are extremely competitive.

+1. During the last ten years, standards were relaxed in a lot of ways because the military needed warm bodies. Now the wars are over/ending, and the budget is shrinking. The era of "if you are a non-felon and have a degree from an accredited college, you can be a military officer" is over.

TheJanitor6203

Postby TheJanitor6203 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:28 am

As a Staff Sergeant with just under 9 years in the Army next month when I get out I'm going to throw in my 2 cents. The military is downsizing and getting rid of a lot of shitheads but they're still letting shitheads enlist. I see them coming in everyday. The whole "selective" thing is a load of crap. As long as you're in good health, not too fat, score above "not retarded" on the ASVAB, and your criminal record isn't too bad you can join the Army.

Like others have said, if JAG is what you want, I think your best course of action is to enlist for 4 years, knockout your general ed requirements for free while you're in and then get out and use the GI Bill to finish UG and most of law school. At this point you'll have matured as a person and gained leadership experience plus you'll have a good idea if JAG is really what you want to do. The military is NOT for everyone.

I highly recommend that you consider enlisting in the Air Force. If you decide not to go to law school it's more likely that your job in the Air Force will translate to a real civilian job than most other services plus they have it WAY better, especially if you deploy. Generally speaking you should also have more opportunities to take college classes in the AF. In the Army we're always going to some month long training somewhere or deploying. In my 9 years I completed a bachelor degree (I'm taking my last 2 classes right now) but I am definitely not typical of most. I had to make it a point to get it done and plan strategically around training and deployments.

PalmBay

Postby PalmBay » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:16 pm

Freshman year? You can still salvage your GPA. Is there a reason for the failing math? If that's the ONLY class you ever do poorly in, you can write an addendum. A strong LSAT score will override any single F in math.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”