UMN with full ride? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
fanpohher

New

UMN with full ride?

Post by fanpohher » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:31 am

This is my first post on this site, I believe. With a LSAT 166 and a GPA 3.15 (LSAC said it is Above Average), I unexpectedly got a offer from UMN with full ride scholarship. I have to admit that a scholarship worth almost $150,000 is REALLY tempting. I thought my best shot is UCLA though and I have signed the ED agreement with them. So, my questions are:

1. Is UMN (full ride) worth going? I mean, I am not a US citizen and I heard that the only chance for a foreign law student to stay in America is to find a job in big law. It seems that UMN is not that good at placing its graduates in big law, and I doubt very much about whether I can graduate as a top 10% or 20% from the class. Then does it mean when I graduate from UMN, even though without any debt, I have to leave US?

2. If UMN is really worthy my three years of life, is it possible that I break the Early Decision Agreement with UCLA? They haven't made any decision on me, I believe, since I heard nothing from them. I know it is unethical, but UCLA probably won't give me a piny even if they let me in since I have such bad numbers, and I am really attracted by the scholarship from UMN.

Can someone please help me here? Thanks!

Nova

Platinum

Re: UMN with full ride?

Post by Nova » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:43 am

You got the FR because your GPA doesn't count toward USNWR rankings cause its foreign and youre at or above the targeted LSAT median. UMN takes a ton of internationals to game the numbers since their GPAs don't count. If you attend, you will have been subsidized by internationals who are paying sticker because theyre below the LSAT median.

If you would not be happy with small law, don't go to UMN. If you want a legal job and very little debt, its definitely worth considering.

UCLA's big law is not that great (about a third?)... so its not a good bet for big law either. ESPECIALLY at sticker. UMN fo free >>> UCLA sticker ALL DAY

Not having ties will hurt you in every market except for T14. If you really want big law, you ought to retake.

IDK about the residency issue about whether you gotta go back or not or about going back on an ED before they make a decision

HYSenberg

Bronze

Post by HYSenberg » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:46 am

I don't think its unethical to break the ED agreement before a decision is made; just email/call them and fill out the requisite paperwork

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:12 am

my advice would be to withdraw your ED application to UCLA. A 166 is a nice LSAT score to have in this application climate. You're forfeiting a lot of scholarship by making a binding commitment to UCLA if you're admitted. It's not unethical to withdraw your ED app and ask them to move it to the regular decision pool. UCLA's placement isn't worth paying sticker for. But if you can afford to pay it up front then it's a personal choice for you, if you're borrowing the money, then don't do it.

[When you say you're foreign I'm assuming that you're not eligible for federal loans (sorry if I'm mistaken). But if so, I'm assuming that you have a way to pay for everything upfront.]

Apply to a broad range of schools, there are schools with better BigLaw placement than UMN that will give u generous scholarships for a 166, especially if you negotiate with them.

fanpohher

New

Post by fanpohher » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:18 am

Nova wrote:You got the FR because your GPA doesn't count toward USNWR rankings cause its foreign and youre at or above the targeted LSAT median. UMN takes a ton of internationals to game the numbers since their GPAs don't count. If you attend, you will have been subsidized by internationals who are paying sticker because theyre below the LSAT median.

If you would not be happy with small law, don't go to UMN. If you want a legal job and very little debt, its definitely worth considering.

UCLA's big law is not that great (about a third?)... so its not a good bet for big law either. ESPECIALLY at sticker. UMN fo free >>> UCLA sticker ALL DAY

Not having ties will hurt you in every market except for T14. If you really want big law, you ought to retake.

IDK about the residency issue about whether you gotta go back or not or about going back on an ED before they make a decision
Thanks for the advice and suggestion! I wanted to retake, but the LSAT really made me sick, especially the Reading Comprehension section, and I think I have done my best. Maybe I will withdraw my ED from UCLA.......

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fanpohher

New

Post by fanpohher » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:21 am

HYSenberg wrote:I don't think its unethical to break the ED agreement before a decision is made; just email/call them and fill out the requisite paperwork
Looks like this is what I am going to do... Thanks!

fanpohher

New

Post by fanpohher » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:27 am

cusenation wrote:my advice would be to withdraw your ED application to UCLA. A 166 is a nice LSAT score to have in this application climate. You're forfeiting a lot of scholarship by making a binding commitment to UCLA if you're admitted. It's not unethical to withdraw your ED app and ask them to move it to the regular decision pool. UCLA's placement isn't worth paying sticker for. But if you can afford to pay it up front then it's a personal choice for you, if you're borrowing the money, then don't do it.

[When you say you're foreign I'm assuming that you're not eligible for federal loans (sorry if I'm mistaken). But if so, I'm assuming that you have a way to pay for everything upfront.]

Apply to a broad range of schools, there are schools with better BigLaw placement than UMN that will give u generous scholarships for a 166, especially if you negotiate with them.
Thanks for your encouragement! I did prepare enough money to pay the full price for law schools, yet scholarships are still tempting so that I can save the money for future use. By saying "schools with better BigLaw placement", are you referring to T14 schools ONLY? Does Fordham (considering its location) belong to this kind of schools ? Because I have also received AD from Fordham and am waiting for $$, if they gave me mediocre amount of money, should I take the offer?

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:33 am

fanpohher wrote: Thanks for your encouragement! I did prepare enough money to pay the full price for law schools, yet scholarships are still tempting so that I can save the money for future use. By saying "schools with better BigLaw placement", are you referring to T14 schools ONLY? Does Fordham (considering its location) belong to this kind of schools ? Because I have also received AD from Fordham and waiting for $$, if they gave me mediocre amount of money, should I take the offer?
the cost benefit analysis based on scholarship and placement is unique to each applicant. You can see every schools most recent placement data available at LST

heres fordhams, which places about 30% in firms of 100+ attorneys

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school= ... =employers

fanpohher

New

Post by fanpohher » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:47 am

Nova wrote:
fanpohher wrote: Thanks for your encouragement! I did prepare enough money to pay the full price for law schools, yet scholarships are still tempting so that I can save the money for future use. By saying "schools with better BigLaw placement", are you referring to T14 schools ONLY? Does Fordham (considering its location) belong to this kind of schools ? Because I have also received AD from Fordham and waiting for $$, if they gave me mediocre amount of money, should I take the offer?
the cost benefit analysis based on scholarship and placement is unique to each applicant. You can see every schools most recent placement data available at LST

heres fordhams, which places about 30% in firms of 100+ attorneys

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school= ... =employers
This is most helpful! Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:53 am

Youre welcome. Good luck with the rest of your cycle

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:43 am

LST is a great resource for comparing BigLaw placement. And no it's not just limited to T14 schools even though that's where I would start. There's a good number of T20 and T30 schools that have better BigLaw placement than UMN for a number of reasons

fanpohher

New

Post by fanpohher » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:20 am

cusenation wrote:LST is a great resource for comparing BigLaw placement. And no it's not just limited to T14 schools even though that's where I would start. There's a good number of T20 and T30 schools that have better BigLaw placement than UMN for a number of reasons
Thanks! I checked the site and it turns out that UMN surely isn't the dream school for BigLaw chasers. I will think about it. And I have just received the UCLA rejection letter a few hours ago, before I could even decided to withdraw my ED. I think now my concerns about going to UCLA without any scholarship doesn't matter any more. LOL.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”