So you want to do PI? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Dr. Nefario

Gold

Re: So you want to do PI?

Post by Dr. Nefario » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:16 pm

This was very well written and helpful!

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:15 am

What's the ideal summer 1L job for someone gunning for PI (DA/PD)?

Is it still any legal job that PAYS?

handsonthewheel

Bronze

Post by handsonthewheel » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:31 am

ManoftheHour wrote:What's the ideal summer 1L job for someone gunning for PI (DA/PD)?

At a good regional school a few years ago, I had trouble finding much 1L summer and I had decent grades. My understanding, and it's been a couple years, is that it's generally difficult to get paying 1L summer work from most schools, save the higher ranked schools and some students with great grades and maybe some prior experience that makes them unique (but in a legal capacity, like engineer for patent lit).

But what I think PI employers look for it relatively logical: that you are a competent, if not skilled and motivated, aspiring attorney and that you are committed to the work. I don't think getting an unrelated job demonstrates the latter, whether paid or not.

Do the kind of work you hope to ultimately do. It'll show commitment to the work and build some basic knowledge in the area. And, most importantly, it will give you a chance to test-run the kind of work and career you are pursuing.

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:19 am

ManoftheHour wrote:What's the ideal summer 1L job for someone gunning for PI (DA/PD)?

Choose early on whether you want PD or DA and gun for that. Some "true believer" PDs are suspicious of anyone with prosecution experience.

Re: 1L summer jerbs, very few DA/PD offices pay their interns. You will have to most likely have to look for outside funding.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:55 am

No one expects you to get a paid 1L summer job from any school. There's just so few of them. And in PI/Gov there's exactly none. You're going to have to volunteer somewhere.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:58 am

JCougar wrote:

No one expects you to get a paid 1L summer job from any school. There's just so few of them. And in PI/Gov there's exactly none. You're going to have to volunteer somewhere.
This is credited. Equal Justice America is a GREAT source of funding for 1L and 2L summer PI jerbs, and as far as I know it it not too competitive.

https://www.equaljusticeamerica.org/

Also look at your minority bar associations; they may offer summer fellowships too.

P.S. twenty, you should make this into an official TLS article!

LSL

Gold

Post by LSL » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:16 am

I thought the EEOC might start its honors program again this year, but is that still lolno?

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:44 pm

TLS wrote:I thought the EEOC might start its honors program again this year, but is that still lolno?
The effects of the Federal budget pinch are still somewhat constraining the EEOC, but this news item explains why their budget has been further pinched:

http://www.federalnewsradio.com/491/369 ... trikes-DHS

Looks like this might effect DOL as well. This is costing the agencies millions, and there's no wiggle room in the current budget, which is already tight. And additional funds are not likely to be forthcoming because you know who has the majority in the House.

LSL

Gold

Post by LSL » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:03 pm

Wow, that's unfortunate. And yeah re: lolhouse. Ugh, long live austerity.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:05 am

JCougar, do you know anything about the PMF hiring process? My CSO told me that someone got it with a 2.8 GPA, but perhaps that's an outlier. I have a modest GPA (although it is above a 3) but tons of public service experience.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:45 pm

BlueLotus wrote:JCougar, do you know anything about the PMF hiring process? My CSO told me that someone got it with a 2.8 GPA, but perhaps that's an outlier. I have a modest GPA (although it is above a 3) but tons of public service experience.
I never applied for one of those jobs, although I did work alongside one at one of my summer clerkships. I think it's more about experience/desire to work in the agency's area.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”