Baylor/SMU/TTU/U of H

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Kevinlomax

Baylor/SMU/TTU/U of H

Postby Kevinlomax » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:17 pm

Redacted
Last edited by Kevinlomax on Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigZuck

Re: Baylor/SMU/TTU/U of H

Postby BigZuck » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:28 pm

UT

I would maybe consider SMU or UH but that would be it. I assume what you mean by decent salary is 80K+ and that is quite the longshot from any of the above.

Does San Antonio really have a legal market to speak of? Like one with jobs and stuff? Let alone decent paying ones?

Kevinlomax

Postby Kevinlomax » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:39 pm

It is the seventh most populous city in the United States and has 1.3 million people. I would assume it has at least a decent legal market...

legalese_retard

Postby legalese_retard » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:46 pm

Kevinlomax wrote:It is the seventh most populous city in the United States and has 1.3 million people. I would assume it has at least a decent legal market...

Again, depends on what you mean by "decent salary." Yes San Antonio is huge population wise, but its legal market is not like Dallas, Houston, or Austin. Most attorneys are solos or work in very small firms. There aren't enough corporations in San Antonio to support larger firms or attorneys with higher billiable hour rates. I know there is a big military population and health care is pretty big, but only a few big firms are needed to service those industries.

That said, if San Antonio is your end goal, would you be okay with going out on your own or working for a very small firm. Since you would have no loans and the COL is very low in San Antonio, you should be fine with any school.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:49 pm

Austin is like the 12th most populous city in the US and a state capital and it has a tiny legal market, especially when it comes to entry level, well-paying lawyer jobs.

I would maybe try and do some more research on what the legal market in San Antonio is like. I really have no idea. All I really know is from this site, and the only two Texas cities that ever get mentioned in terms of markets is Houston and Dallas (and Austin, but that's just a unicorn).

Also, what do you mean by "decent?"

Eta: scooped!

philosoraptor

Postby philosoraptor » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:53 pm

BigZuck wrote:UT

I would maybe consider SMU or UH but that would be it. I assume what you mean by decent salary is 80K+ and that is quite the longshot from any of the above.

Does San Antonio really have a legal market to speak of? Like one with jobs and stuff? Let alone decent paying ones?
There are quite a few big firms in San Antonio -- Fulbright (or whatever it is now), Bracewell, Cox Smith, Akin Gump, Jackson Walker, etc. Most snag a few UT students every year, IIRC.

OP, it should be UT or bust for you. If you're not above the LSAT median, retake until you get there. There aren't that many jobs out there, and none of those other schools will do much for you in San Antonio.

Postby 062914123 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:04 pm

Last edited by 062914123 on Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kevinlomax

Postby Kevinlomax » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:06 pm

I define decent salary as 80k+

I would be fine with working in a small firm or on my own. I was thinking maybe Defense contracts or something related to all the military in the area.

Kevinlomax

Postby Kevinlomax » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:08 pm

bee wrote:
philosoraptor wrote:OP, it should be UT or bust for you. If you're not above the LSAT median, retake until you get there.

Im taking in December. If if doesent happen for me then ill retake in June and apply ED

Devlin

Postby Devlin » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:24 pm

No to Baylor and Tech - use the search function for this answer.

Speaking from experience I go to UH/SMU and we had quite a few San Antonio firms come to our OCI. For instance, if you are interested in a firm like HayBoo or Jackson Walker then you can rank your city preference. I would imagine most people at UH/SMU are trying to stay in Houston/Dallas - and this is true from the classmates I know who participated in OCI. Obviously, expect to be around top third if you want a shot at one of these firms at SMU/UH. Ties to San Antonio would definitely help.

TheJanitor6203

Postby TheJanitor6203 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:32 pm

OP, all of the above answers are correct. Sort of.

It all depends on what you want to do. If all you want is big law, then yes, the correct answer is UT>SMU/UH>don't go. But if you just want to be a lawyer and you don't mind what TLS so loving terms "shit law" then there are some other options as well. I'm going to get flamed for saying this but I'll do it anyways. I'm also a veteran and I will be using the GI Bill as well just fyi.

Depending on where you want to live and what type of law you want to practice, there are other options. Since you (and I) will be attending law school for free, I have a different outlook on it than most people here on TLS who are not going for free and a have a "big law or bust" mentality. TTU isn't a bad school as long as you're not expecting big law afterwards. Baylor too but there are tons of threads discussing many other reasons not to go to Baylor. Look here. St. Mary's may be an option if you're focused on San Antonio but I honestly don't know.

My main point is, since you're using the GI Bill and if you aren't "big law or bust" and your open to what part of the state you live in, there are several other options out there.

Ramius

Postby Ramius » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:52 pm

Unless you're someone different from this thread, you're not getting GI bill. Sorry to break it to you (unless you plan on staying in the army for another 4 years, in which case you should come back when you actually plan on going).

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=218169

That being said, absolutely UT>UH/SMU>don't go.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:42 pm

TheJanitor6203 wrote:OP, all of the above answers are correct. Sort of.

It all depends on what you want to do. If all you want is big law, then yes, the correct answer is UT>SMU/UH>don't go. But if you just want to be a lawyer and you don't mind what TLS so loving terms "shit law" then there are some other options as well. I'm going to get flamed for saying this but I'll do it anyways. I'm also a veteran and I will be using the GI Bill as well just fyi.

Depending on where you want to live and what type of law you want to practice, there are other options. Since you (and I) will be attending law school for free, I have a different outlook on it than most people here on TLS who are not going for free and a have a "big law or bust" mentality. TTU isn't a bad school as long as you're not expecting big law afterwards. Baylor too but there are tons of threads discussing many other reasons not to go to Baylor. Look here. St. Mary's may be an option if you're focused on San Antonio but I honestly don't know.

My main point is, since you're using the GI Bill and if you aren't "big law or bust" and your open to what part of the state you live in, there are several other options out there.

No. If all you want is big law then don't go to UH or SMU. It's too remote. UT is a better chance but still the odds are stacked against you.

If all you want is big law (and cost/location isn't an issue), then go to a T14.

AT9

Postby AT9 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:44 pm

With 64% of the class reporting, SMU's median salary is $80K. Not a guarantee (especially if SA is the target), but not a long shot either.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:01 pm

AT9 wrote:

With 64% of the class reporting, SMU's median salary is $80K. Not a guarantee (especially if SA is the target), but not a long shot either.

I think it's a long shot to get an 80K+ job in San Antonio with an SMU degree.

I think it would be tough-ish to get one in Dallas as well. Even if its 50/50, I don't think that's particularly easy to accomplish. But long shot might be too strong of a word in that case.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:04 pm

The entire city of San Antonio might have less than 10 biglaw summer associate positions for each class year. There is definitely legal work in San Antonio. However, it is mostly of the small-law type where the way to make money is through hustling.

Honestly, if someone is geographically committed to San Antonio, St. Mary's really might be the best choice.

texas man

Postby texas man » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:33 pm

Kevinlomax wrote:Money is not a factor due to GI Bill.

Goal is to work in San Antonio in a small to Mid size firm making a decent salary.

. . . I am unsure how decent the job prospects for TTU grads are in places like San Antonio. Statistically TTU has decent (70%+) employment numbers but I am unable to find much about employment from TTU grads in specific cities.

On the TTU Law website, you can view the number of grads, for classes 2010-12, by specific cities. For the class of 2010, 12 ended up in San Antonio; for 2011, 4 in SA; for 2012, 5 in SA. See http://www.law.ttu.edu/career/employment_data.asp.

For total grads by county (SA is in Bexar), see http://www.texasbar.com/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Demographic_and_Economic_Trends&Template=/CM/HTMLDisplay.cfm&ContentID=23542.

I'm a TTU law grad, and I had a great experience, so I'm partial to TTU. Still, if you want to work in SA, I don't think any of the four schools you listed would be a bad choice. If UT is not an option, and money is not an issue, I would visit each law school (assuming you have been accepted to each), talk to the students and professors, check out the facilities, and decide which is the best fit for you.

Also, if you are interested in military or related law, TTU has the Center for Military Law and Policy: http://www.law.ttu.edu/acp/centers/military/.

Kevinlomax

Postby Kevinlomax » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:35 am

matthewsean85 wrote:Unless you're someone different from this thread, you're not getting GI bill. Sorry to break it to you (unless you plan on staying in the army for another 4 years, in which case you should come back when you actually plan on going).

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=218169

That being said, absolutely UT>UH/SMU>don't go.

I actually am getting the GI bill because I am being medically seperated for a service connected disability

Kevinlomax

Postby Kevinlomax » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:40 am

texas man wrote:
Kevinlomax wrote:Money is not a factor due to GI Bill.

Goal is to work in San Antonio in a small to Mid size firm making a decent salary.

. . . I am unsure how decent the job prospects for TTU grads are in places like San Antonio. Statistically TTU has decent (70%+) employment numbers but I am unable to find much about employment from TTU grads in specific cities.

On the TTU Law website, you can view the number of grads, for classes 2010-12, by specific cities. For the class of 2010, 12 ended up in San Antonio; for 2011, 4 in SA; for 2012, 5 in SA. See http://www.law.ttu.edu/career/employment_data.asp.

For total grads by county (SA is in Bexar), see http://www.texasbar.com/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Demographic_and_Economic_Trends&Template=/CM/HTMLDisplay.cfm&ContentID=23542.

I'm a TTU law grad, and I had a great experience, so I'm partial to TTU. Still, if you want to work in SA, I don't think any of the four schools you listed would be a bad choice. If UT is not an option, and money is not an issue, I would visit each law school (assuming you have been accepted to each), talk to the students and professors, check out the facilities, and decide which is the best fit for you.

Also, if you are interested in military or related law, TTU has the Center for Military Law and Policy: http://www.law.ttu.edu/acp/centers/military/.

this is awesome thanks!

Where did you graduate in the class/ where are you working now if you dont mind me asking?

texas man

Postby texas man » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:38 am

Kevinlomax wrote:Where did you graduate in the class/ where are you working now if you dont mind me asking?

Around top 15% and I'm clerking for a federal judge in Texas (in district court).

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:51 am

None of these schools are good for San Antonio because the odds of getting a job in San Antonio that doesn't involve hanging your own shingle are very small. Very very small.

And a "decent" salary in San Antonio is very different from Dallas or Houston.

longhorn89

Postby longhorn89 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:35 pm

San Antonio is a pretty small market. Fulbright took two summer associates last year - both San Antonio natives. I know Cox Smith takes at least one, not sure about Jackson Walker, and I'm pretty sure Akin Gump hasn't had a San Antonio summer program in at least two years.

I agree with the above posters that UT is your best option, though full disclosure, I go to UT so am probably biased. People who are really committed to San Antonio with a UT degree seem to be able to find something. I had a 1L internship in San Antonio (not at a firm though) and I'm not even from there. SMU and U of H are your next best options employmentwise in my opinion, but they both place pretty really locally so it will be a lot tougher.

lnh819

Postby lnh819 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:31 am

I'm a current 1L at TTU so feel free to ask me any questions! I can tell you that we place mostly in Lubbock/DFW so be open-minded to working in one of those areas for at least a few years post-graduation.

TheJanitor6203

Postby TheJanitor6203 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:40 am

lnh819 wrote:I'm a current 1L at TTU so feel free to ask me any questions! I can tell you that we place mostly in Lubbock/DFW so be open-minded to working in one of those areas for at least a few years post-graduation.

Does Lubbock suck as bad as I imagine it does?

texas man

Postby texas man » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:13 am

TheJanitor6203 wrote:Does Lubbock suck as bad as I imagine it does?

That depends on your standards/preferences after living in other cities. I enjoyed living in Lubbock for three years, and I lived in Austin for a lot more than three years before going to law school (and Houston before that).

Return to “Choosing a Law School”